Tacticals Made by Us for Special OPS Forces

Well, if you get a chance to get this info if the men out in the field who don't know it- ceramic is a great tool for sharpening if an actual sharpener isn't on hand. Hope this helps since I don't trust myself with making a knife to save/take a life yet.

I believe the Kbar was not military issue the M2 was..
I made a sheath for one about a year ago for a friend that trained some of the s/p's
I'll see if I have a picture of it.
long sleek and light , about 7" blade I think it was?
when you're carrying what would seems a ton of back pack you don't need
a ton of Knife, one to do the job and get out, without tripping over it and yourself.
it may be the only one they care so it should serve to do other tasks also.
mullity purpose is not a bad thing here. jmho

I will think about adding a useable for the task Blade but as for right now won't put my foot in my mouth and say yes.
I will offer to make a sheath for someone maybe two if time permits
I have a lot going on right now.
I will say some of the boys have some of my knives also..

, I'll like to pick the knife to make the sheath/s for. Because! I want to match it to what I think will be carried each time he goes out..
for one means not for a machete type Bowie. I'd feel I have wasted my time no offence to those of you that believe that is what should be used.

I have been waiting for this. I have a blade ready for handles. I had no idea how to get it into the hands of a soldier. Please e-mail me as soon as you can with some shipping instructions.
Paul

Count me in, Roger. I'll monitor this thread for a week or so to see what the soldiers think is best for their needs. I'll need a sheath maker. Can someone point me in the direction of a sheathmaker that isn't too expensive and does sturdy work?

I would like to hear what other makers are making for this, sort of to share ideas.

Todd

What I've got planned Todd is to follow Kbar's example, and to Keep It Simple.

Basicly I plan to forge the blade out of 52100, and use a little heavier guard out of brass or steel, and a sandblasted and textured green canvas micarta hidden tang handle with a steel butcap for use as a hammer. All metal will be sandblasted and coated with something, posibly flat black spray paint as it would be easy to touch up. Basicly the size and shape of a Kbar, but keeping the good and getting rid of the bad. The Kbars were bad about breaking at the tang from stress risers and too narrow a tang, and the gaurd was a little to flimsy, and the sheath was too light. We'll see, I head offshore tomorrow night so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can even start on it.

Matt Shade said:
I can see this is going downhill again. Lets try to remember the reason behind it....SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS.
Make a knife you think would be useful if you were in there situation, don't worry too much about what others are making. In the end, regardless of design it will make a big difference in 2 ways:
Number One: It will be a quality tool, better than what they had available to them before.
Number Two: It will boost morale. The fact that its handmade, that you took the time to plan it out thoughtfully and build it just for them, will make all the difference in the world.
Yes. ;) Now to stay on the subject of the thread, Roger, Larry made a good point, it's best to give us an idea of what they need more then us trying to decide what they need. Keep me informed.
Scott

Scott and all others, answers just received. Awaiting permission to post email in total (minus email address). For now assume the initial suggestions made by some to be pretty much correct and I will say NO special markings other than maker information is wanted. Maker mark is wanted. That's all for now because I think it best heard verbatim. Awaiting permisinon to post.

Later.

RL

Everybody make sure and wipe the blade down with a good coat of pork fat before shipping for rust prevention. I heard the terrorists just love pork fat. I'm completely kidding by the way.

looking forward to some input that counts.

I have been known to make a sheath or two if anyone is interested. I have some half-tanned leather. Will make a very sturdy sheath. $15.00 plus shipping for this project to cover materials if anyone would like. nothing too fancy, just a solid, well made sheath. Drop me a line. Paul

Roger;
I sent you an e-mail.

Permiission recieved. There will be three small redactions because of the ability of the bad guys looking in. I am going to first post my email with the questions and then go grab his responce and post it, so there will be a short few minutes between the two. Notice my email does not include all questions I should have asked (I gotta learn better to take notes) but that in reading his responce it is obvious he took the time to study each post on this already long thread.
---------------

Hey (redacted),

Just because I was a jerk and the original thread got locked down (sorry about that) we didn't give up. Its back up now with a new thread. I have one knife from a Brit living in Japan in the mail to me right now for one of your team members and two more from knife makers that should be sent to me in a few more days and several other makers committed. Look here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326829 This thread was started only yesterday.

The guys have a couple questions. They are wanting advise from you on type of knife best suitable for your team's use (blade length and such, etc.)? They also want advise on restrictions on identifying markings (for instance what if someone wanted to put something like Special OPS or Special Forces on the knife he makes for your team; that kind of stuff)? Some of the makers would like the team member that receives his hand made knife email him if possible. I think they are very proud of you guys and would feel honored just to hear from you. I don't know how many you have in your team but I am hoping we can get enough makers to make a knife for each member. We'll have to see. Please advise on the above questions (name redacted).

Its all looking very good now. I pray all is well with you and yours. You have a bunch of great guys back here supporting you fellows.

Roger
----------

Roger

I am happy that your thread is back up and running. I
just had a look and there were some good questions the
makers were asking that I will try to answer.

On size... monster blades look good on screen but the
truth is a good 6-7" blade will do the job just nicely
and will be easier to carry on the job day in day out.
That said, some of the guys do prefer a larger blade
so if anyone is making a longer one then I wouldn't
tell them it won't be used..trust me it will.

Sheaths... Either leather or kydex is good..again some
like one some like the other..

Handles... something durable, micarta is nice but
horn, wood, cord wrapped or leather are good too.

Markings...We all agree 100% on this one unless the
maker really wants to put it on the blade, none is
better. All our team guys try to live the "Quite
Professional" motto and would prefer no "Spec Ops" or
"Special Forces" markings etc. Actually most of the
guys want the makers name on the knives so that anyone
who sees it will know where it came from.

Bottom line is this Roger, my guys are happy to get
whatever kind of knife is made...anything will be
appreciated here, folders, fixed blades, Ka-Bar style,
bowies, fighters, workers, etc.

The best kind of knife for us is one that can do it
all... (redacted) all day in the rain (redacted)
or (redacted), cut rope, dig holes, sit all
night in a sand filled sheath and still be razor sharp
when the bad guys come callin.

There are 13 Operators on my detachment each has a
specific background and training, we do have a medic
and demolition guys as well as snipers and weapons
guys. Pretty much the standard Special Forces
Detachment Alpha.

I told you before Roger and I want to say it again, it
really makes us doing this job here a lot easier when
we have the support of incredible folks like you back
home. There is very little a Special Forces Operator
appreciates more than a good knife and thanks to you
and yours my guys will be able to get their hands on
one.

That being said, just that fact that you have stuck
your reputation on the line for us and the
consideration of these fine Americans means more to us
than what kind of knife ends up in the mail.

Trust me Roger this selfless act of kindness will not
go unnoticed and the least we can do is make sure each
maker gets a letter from the SF guy using his blade
and a picture of their blade from over here.

(---- This paragragh redacted ----)

Thanks again Roger for everything on this. Let me know
if there are any more questions that I can help with.

(name redacted)

rlinger said:
There are 13 Operators on my detachment each has a
specific background and training, we do have a medic
and demolition guys as well as snipers and weapons
guys. Pretty much the standard Special Forces
Detachment Alpha.

:D Made my day

I recently made a knife for a marine sergeant in Iraq as a gift. He had me send it to his wife instead of sending it to him.

<<<<<<Please note the reason for not sending it to him. >>>>>>

He says packages sent to units in Iraq must be marked on the outside listing the contents. he says any package containing a knife is a prize, and probably will not reach the addressee because somebody will steal it. :(

So be careful about shipping to a war zone.

I'm presently making a large folder for an air force sergeant on Guam, and that's no problem to ship.

I'm glad to see that this project is taking hold. I'd join in too, but I'm sending some of my work to individuals. I make each one a true custom, made to his specs, including the sheath, if it's a fixed blade.

Great project, guys. Keep it up! And thanks to each of you.

Thats the feedback I was looking for. I'll get something started soon.

Larry

Dan Gray said:
I believe the Kbar was not military issue the M2 was..
I made a sheath for one about a year ago for a friend that trained some of the s/p's
I'll see if I have a picture of it.
long sleek and light , about 7" blade I think it was?
when you're carrying what would seems a ton of back pack you don't need
a ton of Knife, one to do the job and get out, without tripping over it and yourself.
it may be the only one they care so it should serve to do other tasks also.
mullity purpose is not a bad thing here. jmho

I will think about adding a useable for the task Blade but as for right now won't put my foot in my mouth and say yes.
I will offer to make a sheath for someone maybe two if time permits
I have a lot going on right now.
I will say some of the boys have some of my knives also..

, I'll like to pick the knife to make the sheath/s for. Because! I want to match it to what I think will be carried each time he goes out..
for one means not for a machete type Bowie. I'd feel I have wasted my time no offence to those of you that believe that is what should be used.

edited to add
these sheaths I will make at no charge.

I have two of the web-belt sheaths like I showed the picture of. Anyone donating is welcome to the other.

Mark Williams said:
I have two of the web-belt sheaths like I showed the picture of. Anyone donating is welcome to the other.

Hey Mark if it is still available I'll take it.
What did you say the dimensions were again? I'll get you the blade, probably a cordwrap and you send it from there.

Larry

Nowicki said:
Hey Mark if it is still available I'll take it.
What did you say the dimensions were again? I'll get you the blade, probably a cordwrap and you send it from there.

Larry

Looks like a 1" x 7" blade would fit nicely. Put the knife in a case of the small white mushrooms and I'll pay for that , shipping and your trouble :D

Maybe I'll have to deliver that package myself. We still got to drift some holes ;) .

Larry

Back