Taiga arrived--intial impressions

t1mpani

Platinum Member
This is my third ROSarms knife, and the one I've wanted from the beginning. Overall, my feelings about it are very positive. Same high fit and finish and good edge geometry that I'm coming to expect. The handle is a tiny bit short for my hand, but I'm going to perform a little surgery on it before long to soften the top edge of the pommel and then it should stop digging into my palm.

The only thing I was kind of taken aback by was the blade thickness---even though this is the biggest knife I have from this company, its blade is actually in between the thickness of the two smaller ones (a Cliff and a Motherland) despite being listed as 5mm. For a knife this size, I would tend to look at 5mm as a good lower-end thickness but this one comes in at almost exactly 4mm. Is this the norm, or did I just happen to nab a skinny one?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the knife, I was just expecting a little more heft out front.

All blades are manually forged (not hand forged) from rods.

Difference in thickness is possible. Usually Taiga model varies from 4 to 5mm and actually a lot of them closer to 4mm then to 5mm.
I don't think it will make a big difference in use.

Which one did you get? Where did you buy it?

Can you upload some pictures for us?

Send me PM and will try to find the thickest one in stock.

Thanks for the reply :)

I got mine off of Ebay, it's a micarta guard/pommel with stacked leather handle. Really, I like any of the configurations I've seen, this one was just handily available. I'll get pictures up in the next day or so.

PM sent. :)

Just aquired one of the Taiga model knives. It has the micarta and leather handle.

Haven't had the opportunity to use it, but on the face the knife appears to be a winner. Craftsmanship appears good (symmetry, joints, etc.), feels good in my hand, and the design appears pretty decent for general use. At this time, I certainly wouldn't feel under-knifed when camping and such if I only had the Taiga with me.

As to the sheath, I like the peg-in-slot design - I've had too many snaps break or pull out. Otherwise the sheath is fine with me as it holds the knife securely and is of a leather that is as good as most factory sheaths I have gotten with fixed blades.

I do wish the model name or number was somewhere on the knife/sheath so I can identify the knife in years to come. But that is a minor quibble.

I do wish the model name or number was somewhere on the knife/sheath so I can identify the knife in years to come. But that is a minor quibble.

You are right!

Looks like we are getting more and more sheathes with knife name on it!

For exxample our Picnic or Amigo knives have it on a top of the sheath, But so far only in Russian (cirilic).

i will send your suggestion to our guys.

Back