Taking on the Mini-Talon

Thanks for helping me place my next knife order. I'm getting the Talon and the Mini-Talon since I won't be able to choose which to get first.

Now, where do I hide them so my husband can't get at them? :D

As for sharpening - will the Lansky set serve it's purpose completely with the leather strop or do I need to also get the Sharpmaker 204 to finish the edge?

Okay. Here's what I've done, mixed with what I've been told.

1. The Sharpmaker does wonders for touching up the edge, but it leaves a little too big of a burr for my liking. Rob recommended slicing the burr off with a diamond hone, and it worked. The edge wasn't stupendous afterward, but it did very well for getting rid of the pesky elastic burr.

2. I did better with a Lansky setup, using the 1200 Arkansas hone for finishing. The 1200 grit hone can be purchased seperately. The fine hone left no burr, and the 1200 grit did nicely for polishing the edge. I had to roll the edge many times to get rid of the burr.

3. Once the edge is set, which hopefully was done well by Camillus, all you usually need to do is strop the edge. I tried cardboard, but it only worked so well. My Marbles setup with leather and polishing compound worked MUCH better. It removed absolutely any trace of a burr whatsoever, proven by viewing the edge under a 30 power Radio Shack lighted scope. You wouldn't believe what you can learn by putting a scope up to your sharpened edges. The key seems to be to strop the edge back instead of sharpening, which is great. You don't want to raise that nasty burr again, because it takes some serious time to get rid of it.

4. The Talonite is nicely sharp and well-polished after the final stropping. Testing can be deceiving though. Talonite doesn't cut stuff like copy paper exceedingly well. It tends to hang up a bit. Yet at the same time, it'll shave half the hair off of my arm.... and you know the card board results. It also sails through leather.

I hope this helps.

As for the knife hiding, feel free to send me the Talon for safekeeping. :D

Back