Talonite Carnivour

Dew

Just wonder when I would see some on your dealers' sites. or does it have to be special-ordered?

Thanks.
Dew.

A talonite Carnivore is sort of a mismatch in my opinion. I think the Carnivore is a fairly specialized design, with functionality as a weapon being the specialty, and for a defensive knife, I think a tough blade material is called for. If I wanted a premium blade material on a Carnivore, I would be asking for 420V, or even A-2. Either of those will take a much finer, razor-like edge (also a desirable thing for a defensive blade), hold it a long time, and be quite a bit tougher.

Of course if immunity to corrosion and extreme edge holding are higher priorities than toughness, Talonite by all means.

Harv

Dew / Steve:

A little tickler here. The first of the custom Talonite Carnivores fashioned by Rob Simonich will be in my hands within a few days. Pictures I have now but will hold until I have the knife in hand.

I have to disagree with you Steve about the toughness issue. The key here is geometry. If the Talonite blade fitted to the Carnivore were super thin and the edge not reinforced your point would be well taken. But such will not be the case. Also I agree that the original handle design is super tactical. With some judicious reprofiling the handle becomes more utilitarian and the knife more multi-purpose. Having had 2 Talonite blades for nearly a year, one from 3/16" stock, the other from 1/8", both flat ground with reinforced edge geometry, I've found them to be quite tough. It will indeed be interesting to work out the folder with a Talonite blade.... obviously more to follow
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
!!

------------------
-=[Bob Allman]=-

I did NOT escape from the institution! They gave me a day pass!

BFC member since day one
AKTI membership pending
VHA and NRA member

PS Sorry Dew, your question wasn't answered. Both Rob Simonich and Pat Crawford are each offering 33 Talonite Carnivores customized to their customer's desires. Bob Taylor is offering 30 production Carnivores fitted with Talonite blades. Total is just 96. Contact Rob, Pat or Bob accordingly to secure one. I understand there are a few reservations available.

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 28 September 1999).]

Dew
The Talonite is a special order item because it's an expermintal thing we are selling them direct, we are too short in product for the dealer market. I have to go with the bald1's opnion I have been carring the first one we made now for three months and cutting and cutting and cutting. I slashed a ham with a teeshirt over it for the use it had I was impressed with it's performance. An ATS-34 blade wouldn't have done as well.

Bob Taylor

------------------
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping.

Bob,
You lucky son-of-a-gun!!! I can't wait to see your pictures. I won't be getting my Talonite Carnivour from Rob till Dec/Jan. - what kind of scales did you get on yours? I'm sending Rob a block of Australian Ringed Gidgee wood to make my handle from. I have a Crawford Carnivour & am interested to see/feel the difference in the handles - the Crawford is large, hefty and a little clunky - you know you're holding a solid knife in your hands.

Steve, other than using the knife as a prybar I don't think the Talonite is going to be a problem with strength or toughness - I have used a STELLITE blade for over 4 years & recently got a Talonite CETAN from Rob & the have held up as well as(or better) than my D-2, 440v or 420v, BG-42 blades.

Bill

Count me in as well amongst the faithful awaiting a Simonich Talonite Carnivore.

Mine will be the carbon fiber scaled variety and if the edge is anything like the Talisman neck knife Rob made me, that mother is gonna be scary sharp!

In line right behind ya, yer baldness!
wink.gif

(But you already knew that.)

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Okay, I want in on this... if Bob and Blues say it is the hot ticket... Mr. Taylor how do I sign up?

Bob sent me some pics of his Talonite Carni. Wow. I suppose there is no reason why a Carni couldn't be somebodies favorite utility knife, especially if it is as beautiful as Bob's.

I just think that the Carni handle is too radical to make the best utility grip, and Talonite is not tough enough to be the best choice for a defensive blade. But hey, if you like the Carni handle for utility, a Talonite Carni is a great idea!
smile.gif

Harv

[This message has been edited by Steve Harvey (edited 29 September 1999).]

Thanks for all the replies.

What is the price for a production version? I saw Pat's ad for 500+. It's reasonable for his craftmanship but I just can't afford that at this time.

Can we expect that talonite price might go down somewhat in the future?

Dew.

Okay folks! Some additional fodder to keep yer fires lit.

Here are some new pictures (Harv 3 of these 4 you haven't seen
smile.gif
). Review to follow shortly:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=53680&a=734687

Enjoy!!!

PS Started a thread in the Reviews Forum too
smile.gif
!

PPS Harv, another thought. Have you seen the Chimera pictured on Trace Rinaldi's web site? It is mine, made with a Talonite blade, and features finger cutouts on the handle too. Despite the look Trace and other Chimera owners will tell you that that handle simply spotwelds itself into your hand. It is an extremely effective utility and camp kitchen knife. The finger cutouts on the modified Carnivore by Rob are similar and should provide the same excellent utility grip. We'll see. I've been straight up about likes and dislikes in my reviews here and before BFC came into existance, posts made elsewhere. As an example was the mixed verdict I gave the Pygmy ATAK2 by MadDog that I'd bought. Here, having worked so closely with Rob on other projects, I feel comfortable that his reprofiling has added immeasurably to the ergonomics... we also have similar sized hands (okay, okay...mine is wider
smile.gif
)!
------------------
-=[Bob Allman]=-

BFC member since day one
AKTI membership pending
VHA and NRA member

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 29 September 1999).]

The factory Talonite is $325.00 with $5.00 shipping a few dealers have them who I don't know at this point. This is a plain Jane with textured G-10 (green or black) We are staying out of any custom goodies. Pat Crawford and Rob Simonich can make your wishs come true there.

Bob Taylor

------------------
Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping.

Oh Boy!!! Thank you Bob for sharing the great pictures of that incredible refined beast Rob is making. I'm already dreaming of a Carnivour Christmas. Pat's standard model is nice, but even from the pictures I can see that Rob has worked some magic with the basic design. Thanks again!
Bill

Bob (Bald1) you're a bad influence on my wallet. What DID that wonder cost???

Guys,

Like Bob Taylor mentioned, the 30 he has available without customer options are $325.

Mine ran $475 from Rob with the options seen in the photograph. The pricing varies with materials and custom options.

I've seen ads where Pat Crawford lists a Talonite (r) Carnivore for $500. I'm sure price varies with materials and options with him as well.

My suggestion? Talk to one of these guys and explore what options will cost what. Kinda works like Buck's "Pete's Custom Knife Shoppe" where different blade material, scales, bolsters, engraving, etc. add up to different total pricing for fancy 110 folders, except instead of playing on a web site, ya gotta talk or e-mail these guys.

Hope this helps
smile.gif
!

------------------
-=[Bob Allman]=-

BFC member since day one
AKTI membership pending
VHA and NRA member

UPDATE

In response to requests a picture of a stock REKAT Carnivore has been added to the pictures accessible through the link given in my earlier post above. Additionally Elliot aka Blues has asked me to put pictures of his custom Simonich Carnivore there as well
smile.gif
!

ENJOY!

------------------
-=[Bob Allman]=-

BFC member since day one
AKTI membership pending
VHA and NRA member

Bob,

Great pictures of a great knife.
biggrin.gif

I thought I remembered a post where you were chortling over being number 8 or was it one, in line for this (?) Talonite Carnivour, or am I remembering something totally different? In other words, please remedy my confusion! I looked at several posts, but did not see the one I recall. I hate it when I only recall something partially. Another reason for asking, I am in line, as number 9, for a Talonite Carnivour from Rob Simonich too!
biggrin.gif
(...and if Rob is reading this, I WANT #9, but I do not care if the bald1, was #1, #8, or #15, I just hate it when I cannot quite remember, of course if it gives me some idea of where I stand...patiently waiting...that is OK too.)

How do you plan on carrying the knife to avoid scratching the handle? Does it have an ambidextrous stud?

Rob, certainly did a nice job!

Donald,

You've got me confused with someone else or perhaps about where I was in the queue for a HI Gelbu special.

I've been first in line for Rob's custom Talonite (r) Carnivore from the beginning. They are not serial numbered either as each is a "one off" for its customer.

No ambi stud... I'll be carrying it in a Gary Graley (aka G2) custom leather horizontal friction fit sheath. I'm right handed and it'll be worn just to the right of my belt buckle with aft withdrawal. Gary (a forumite) does really nice leather work. Really not too worried about scratching the handle as ironwood is particularly dense and hard... I'd have to really abuse it to severely mark that handle.

------------------
-=[Bob Allman]=-

BFC member since day one
AKTI membership pending
VHA and NRA member

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 01 October 1999).]

Bob, Thanks for the reply. I think what I was recalling then was your happiness at being number 1 and Rob's comment that he had 8 people in line for one. I then ordered and became number 9. Your reply also gives me an idea that I will be waiting a while....and it will be worth it!

Donald,

Not a problem
smile.gif
! I'm just frustrated at not being able to access the general forum tonight. See my thread in the tech section... a known cretin is doing his crap with a ping attack again
frown.gif
!

I believe Rob has only about a half dozen reservations left of the 33 Carnivores he was licensed to make by Bob Taylor. He picked up a few more orders off this and the thread in the Knife Review forum. I simply can't say enough good things about him and his work. You're probably looking at Jan/Feb for yours at the very latest. What handle material and options did you order? BTW I wish I'd asked him to do a small silver inlay with my initials and 1999 engraved... a touch of class
smile.gif
. I'll probably arrange to have that done by a jeweler locally. Gotta check with Rob about recommended mounting e.g. inlaid or surface, small nickel-silver pins, glue, whatever. Something to consider as you still have plenty of lead time.

------------------
-=[Bob Allman]=-

BFC member since day one
AKTI membership pending
VHA and NRA member

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 01 October 1999).]

I have not been able to access the General Forum either! I wonder if I pi**** someone off?

Back