Talonite vs. Busse INFI steel?

I usually take both a Busse and a talonite or stellite blade with me when I do what I do. They really have different characteristics and uses. Infi is very tough and hard. The Busses are superb hard use knives for chopping and prying. They hold an edge extremely well.
Talonite is exceedingly corrosion resistant, it doesn't necessarily hold a razor edge that long but it holds a working edge for an incredibly long time. Something about the "lubricity" of the material itself. But it is soft and doesn't take that well to hard impacts or lateral pressure, as in heavy chopping or prying. There is the risk of rolling the edge. So, my talonite knife is smaller and used for cutting, kitchen chores and as a PFD/neck knife.
I hope others who have much greater knowledge of this, like Cliff, Rob Simonich et al, will join in. But if not, this subject has been discussed at length before and a simple search will take you to those discussions. Hope that helps.

I agree with HJK. Talonite is generally understood to work best in smaller fixeds and folders, and INFI's strengths are best exhibited in bigger blades. The more interesting comparisions would be INFI vs diff tempered 52100, and Talonite vs CPM-420V (aka S90V?).

I haven't been able to check in often lately, so perhaps these have already been discussed.

Glen

I'd also love to see a comparison between infi and differentially tempered 52100. Obviously alot depends on the knife rather than just the steel, but I always favoured diff. tempering and 52100. I haven't the heart to beat one to death in a proper comparison with a Busse, which isn't a cheap knife either.

and i want a million dollars...
you are looking at two materials that are not in the same category....at all!

OK Tom. Please explain.
[BTW Trent, Mr. Mayo is one of the experts I was referring to. An extremely talented and highly regarded maker who is known for his work in talonite, amongst other materials. He's also known for being a little cranky
smile.gif
]

[This message has been edited by HJK (edited 05-07-2001).]

Thanks all for the input. Don't worry, in all fields, a little crankiness is to be expected when dealing with experts. The reason I ask is that I've seen ads from Camillus and Busse touting the incredible edge holding abilities of their materials. I don't know what talonite is made out of but I inferred from it's marketing that it is something different altogether. Just wondering how they compared.

Trent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trent:
I don't know what talonite is made out of but I inferred from it's marketing that it is something different altogether. Just wondering how they compared.</font>

FYI, from an old thread (one of the earliest on Talonite!):

==========
bald1
posted 22 November 1998 07:06 PM

Here's the element breakdown on stellite 6Bh and talonite:

Element %

Co balance
Ni 3 max
Si 2 max
Fe 3 max
Mn 2 max
Cr 28 – 32
Mo 1.50 max
W 3.5 - 5.5
C .9 - 1.4

So the iron content is less than 3% which accounts for some magnetic signature.

-=[Bob]=-

==========

Entire thread should be archived at: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000077.html

Back