tell me why I need the mesa

I finally saw a Mesa at a semi-local wal mart. I am trying to justify the purchase. I have a 105 and a couple of other knives near that size. What does the Mesa bring to the table to convince me other knives won't be enough?

Comes with a nice micarta handle, full tang stonewash finish blade and a durable sheath. It's a great value for the price. That was reason enough for me.

online in clam pack it's as i type this in the mid 30 buck range with free store pickup option maybe free shipping...didnt check. so american made, quality buck steel and heat treat, micarta scales, at that price. only downsidd to it is that sheath which i find doesnt fit well on my gunbelt. that said the endeavor sheath fits it as does the leather compadre camp knife sheath.

I hadn't heard of the Mesa, because of your post I went and looked them up on line. You do need one! Because you have a 119, the ultimate Buck fixed blade (you do have a Buck 119, right?). The Mesa is cheap enough and has a sturdier blade shape to let you do abusive stuff that you don't want to do with your lovely 119. Oh wait, you have a Buck 105. So you really need a Buck 119 and a Buck Mesa.

The 119 is your BMW, skin large game and debone whole turkeys with it. The 105 can help out. The 105 is for wearing when you go small game hunting in a sports coat, carrying a 28 gauge double. I hope the grip is made from some exotic wood.

The Mesa is your old truck. Cut down saplings with it. Cut through the cartilidge of a whole rack of ribs. Heck, cut through the rib bones!

Yeah, you need all of them.

Heck, I'm up 3 to Mesa's----bought the 3rd one solely because of the current reduced price-----plan on using mine for hiking/camp knives---maybe leave one in the car.

They are a steal for what you get and I can afford to lose or break one-----have recently bought 3 Mesa's--a Walmart Reaper and Mora all for less than one BM Bushcrafter----thats what I call value.

I own two and really enjoy them for lighter work. I broke one batoning (Buck replaced it), so I've reserved them for chopping, hunting, or whittling. They also have a perfect 90 degree spine for striking a firesteel, and the finish really holds up well.

I will say that the Mesa has some of the thinnest steel of any knife I own, though. If you like a lot of steel behind your edge, this knife isn't for you. I've been using a caliper to measure the steel where the blade meets the grind, and the Mesa is by far the thinnest knife I own. Even my Paklite Skinner Large is thicker.

Last edited:
Ok, Then if'n I was deciding which to carry as general by my side knife that might have to clean (fillet?) a few crappie, which would be better? 105 or Mesa?
Useful as impulse fishing knife when I didn't plan to fish or carry a fillet knife. I kinda feel the lack of flex in the blade makes either a hard sell.

I would pick the 105 then. I think it's a better knife anyway, but for pokin' holes in crappie I think that's the better choice by far.

Ok, Then if'n I was deciding which to carry as general by my side knife that might have to clean (fillet?) a few crappie, which would be better? 105 or Mesa?
Useful as impulse fishing knife when I didn't plan to fish or carry a fillet knife. I kinda feel the lack of flex in the blade makes either a hard sell.
I wouldn't use either for that. I would buy a Buck 0233 and just keep it in my car so it's always available.

Buck Mesa looks like Buck and Becker had a love child. It's awesome! I'd love to read your review.

Zieg

Back