texas blue cichlid

Caught a Texas blue cichlid while fishing in the New Orleans City Park. My wife, buddy and I went to try out the lagoons at City Park today. I was told that since that area was flooded during Katrina that all the fish were liberated from the lagoons. Well there are a large number of small bream, bass and to my amazement some cichlids. I was using a 8 or 9 ft telescoping jig pole that is a three section. I had it set up like a Tenkara rod with a furled leader and 4lb tip. I had a had tied fly I call a spike after the small spikes you can buy for feeding fish or reptiles. It is tied on a number 14 hook.

I was casting along the edge of a beautiful lagoon near a pavilion and catching some mighty small bream when I tossed under a small willow and bam, the Texas blue hit. Nice fight, wished there had been more of them but he was the only one there. We did some others in pre-spawn mode and they wouldn't take a fly from us. Took a few pictures of the Blue and let him go to make more for later.

TexasBlueJuly202010003.jpg

spikes002.jpg

TexasBlueJuly202010013.jpg

Wish they were common in our waters here. They fight great. Like the bump on his head, looks like he is a breeder.

We used to catch tons of Mayan Cichlids here in SW Florida and in the Everglades. Haven't targetted them since the winter, but we had a freak cold snap that killed lots of 'em. Great for sport and eating. We still have lots of wild tilapia in the Glades. The smaller spotted tilapia will readily take earthworms, but the larger Blue Tilapia are vegatarians and hard to catch on a hook and line.

Todd

Went back yesterday to catch a few for a friend who owns a local pet store. Caught about a dozen on wax worms. Couldn't get any to take a fly or a small crank bait, just had a few follows. Here are two of the larger ones caught.

P1040664.jpg

P1040608.jpg

Little kid in pet store. "Mommy, why do these fish have holes in their mouths?"

Back