Thank you rooikat I broke down and got one

Well I finally did it. I went to brigade quartermaster and got me a Lagana VTAC. I hope I get it before I leave since i leave here in Jan. I know, I know, but I still may have a need for it that I dont know about yet. I hope not it is not a personal encounter if you know what i mean?

Lee

Have you seen the other posts about getting them in and out of country? I will be joining you on the hunting trip and have had mine on back order from 1SKS for a month and a half. They "should" be rolling out this week. If you are Army, then you can say it was issued (they are including them in their dynamic breaching kits), but if your on the MC side, you may have some issues. Likely not going in but coming back out. Just make sure you have a plan (like burying it in a hole and getting it back next time we come back). You could get really creative and have a supply friend run it on an ECR card (since they now have an NSN in the system for them) and carry the card with you to present to our lovely friends from PMO on the way back. Good luck and happy hunting. :p

Generally speaking it is not an issue for a contractor to bring any edged weapons in and out of the airport in Iraq. Bring receipts along and explain to them it is your personal gear. The main focus is on militray equipment both foreign and US being taken out of the country as "souveneirs". And obviuosly firearms and explosives. I have not brought an axe through but have moved several fixed blades in and out via com-air. Hope this helps

I dont think it will be an issue since I am a contractor. When I leave here, I am shipping most of my stuff back except my TA 50 crap. Problem is I kinda like the sleeping bag I was issued, as well as the kevlar and plates. Feel kinda close to them for some reason...hahhahahaha. I dont think any blade being shipped over here is going to be a problem. I may get wierd looks, but oh well. I will have it when I need it though. Thank you guys for the advice though. Until next time....lee

Lee,
Welcome to the club! Let me know what you think of the hawk, when you get it in. Brigade is supposed to be restocked very soon, so we should be getting ours in short order.
I think that, pound for pound, you couldn't have chosen a better weapon\tool for your kit. it should be nice to know that youv'e got something that can 'open' up anything it is called upon to.
Joseph

rooikat, i just hope that I dont have to open anything organic up! But if I need to, I know that the VTAC will do a wonderful job and do it quickly. I was just watching The Patriot the other day and I must say, damn that boy is good with a tomahawk. Maybe one day I can get that good!!!

Lee

if I don't get it from Santa, I am getting my DVD of the Patriot asap. It did have a nice amount of hawk action, besides all the other bedlam. Good movie.
We watched Pirates of the Caribbean again, a few nights ago. My favorite part is, of course, the hawks. :)

Back