The 15" AK that went everywhere. Story for our AF buddies in "Stan."

A dozen years ago I got a call from a fellow named Paul. He said he was in the military, headed for Iraq on a "mission" and needed a knife that would do everything and would never fail. I sent him a 15 inch Ang Khola. He took it on a training mission and it did well. He ordered a couple or three more and ended up getting a dozen or 15. Can't have too much of a good thing, he said.

That 15 inch AK went to Afghanistan before any of us really knew where the place was. It served in Pakistan, Iraq, Iran, India, Panama, Lebanon, Irael, Columbia, Peru and God only knows where else.

It was the knife that cut off the goat's head in Northern Iraq and so impressed the herdsman that he tried to buy the knife from Paul. In Lebanon while with a UN delegation an unruly mob of trouble makers surrounded the UN envoy, shouting and yelling, throwing rocks and blocking the way. AK47s and 45s didn't dismay the crowd but when Paul pulled the 15" AK and ran at them they ran and it saved the day and the UN team.

Paul did the stuff that movies are made of and was one of the toughest guys on the HI rolls. He ended his career trying to defuse a bomb and things did not go right for him. He now does private investigative and security work and serves as a tech consultant on films like "Sniper."

He was an AF Captain until an exploding bomb in the face retired him out.

Who says the AF doesn't have its share of tough guys?

This story is for you AF folks in Afghanistan and a tribute to you and all like you.

Old Uncle Bill is extremely proud and greatly pleased to have a bunch of nephews like you.

I forgot to add that Paul and I still stay in touch.

Thanks Uncle Bill, not just for the excellent story, but also for the encouragement and support. I'll print the story, post it in the commo tent, and have the guys read it. They can't help but be inspired by it. Thanks again.

Sarge

My pleasure, Sarge. I thought the boys would appreciate the story. 50 years ago today I was in supply school at Newport, RI wondering if I'd be passing out grenades to Marines in Korea when I graduated.

Back