The Annuals are coming!

I'm talking about pre 2012 Annuals. They were Regulars. Different knife and blade. CRK told me over the phone that they no longer offer reblading for Regulars and haven't for some time.

But, if I was misinformed...then I'll send mine in for two more blades, use the heck out of it, and sell all the rest. :)
I'm talking about pre 2012 Annuals. They were Regulars. Different knife and blade. CRK told me over the phone that they no longer offer reblading for Regulars and haven't for some time.

But, if I was misinformed...then I'll send mine in for two more blades, use the heck out of it, and sell all the rest. :)
I bet that is correct. I’d say they only replace under warranty with discontinued models.

To be clear I’m honestly asking just to see what the consensus is with people who were lucky enough to snag one this round I don’t judge what other people do because I’m kind of a goof I will get pleasure handing someone my knife to cut something and they have no idea the wood is 125 years old my kids can figure out if it’s worth something or not my dad had a priceless 22 rifle that lived on the dash or behind the seat in his pickup my entire life the value was only one thousand less because it was used and beat to shit

To be clear I’m honestly asking just to see what the consensus is with people who were lucky enough to snag one this round I don’t judge what other people do because I’m kind of a goof I will get pleasure handing someone my knife to cut something and they have no idea the wood is 125 years old my kids can figure out if it’s worth something or not my dad had a priceless 22 rifle that lived on the dash or behind the seat in his pickup my entire life the value was only one thousand less because it was used and beat to shit
I'm scheduled to take delivery of mine tomorrow. For me, my Sebenzas span a continuum of hard users to light users, but there are no safe queens. This knife is meant to commemorate the year 2023, which has been one of great blessing for me. It will accompany me frequently and find regular use as a fine cutting tool, leaving more menial tasks to other blades.

I ended up not getting one of the annuals. I thought seriously about it and was even watching the page, but not at the time a large was available. I also couldn't figure out where in my set new ones would fit as I already have the sizes covered and wasn't sure I wanted to start duplicating my CRKs just yet. If I had purchased, it would definitely be as a user. I prefer even my fancier knives to be users and not just collectors.

so are these going to be safe queens for everyone who got one? Let me know because part of me says I have 10 other small sebenzas I could use but nothing feels better than using a premium tool for everyday jobs mines gonna be a user
Personally, I have plenty of other knives that I can use, so this will be a part of an “art installment” within our home. 2023 is the year my wife and I got married. Her initials are now CR, and this knife was made on my birthday. So, this knife is going in a shadow box and will be hung with one of the limited edition Chris Reeves prints done by Knafs, which was done on a Gutenberg press, and printing is one of my wife’s loves. So this knife is more than just a “cutting tool” for my family, it’s an heirloom. Thanks!

You guys remember the film, "The Men Who Stare at Goats"? Well, I am the man who stares at Sebenzas. Thought I'd share some differences in blade grind, specially at the plunge /choil area. Part of this is due to variance in machining from one blade to the next. Part of it is the polishing process, which they do by hand, according to Tim Reeve.

The polished annual is on the left. A stonewashed 31 with micarta is on the right. Look how deep the plunge cuts on the left and how thin the hollow grind is.

For me, the annual is a thin, fine tool, whereas the micarta is better suited to harder tasks.

20231013_064739.jpg

You guys remember the film, "The Men Who Stare at Goats"? Well, I am the man who stares at Sebenzas. Thought I'd share some differences in blade grind, specially at the plunge /choil area. Part of this is due to variance in machining from one blade to the next. Part of it is the polishing process, which they do by hand, according to Tim Reeve.

The polished annual is on the left. A stonewashed 31 with micarta is on the right. Look how deep the plunge cuts on the left and how thin the hollow grind is.

For me, the annual is a thin, fine tool, whereas the micarta is better suited to harder tasks.

View attachment 2353857
Cool. I hadn't seen a side-by-side before...I don't have a standard 31.

Here's the same shot of a polished PJ large 31 for comparison.

IMG_0780.jpeg

Blues told me that a polished blade was thinner behind the edge. Looks like he was right.

Just for giggles, the left knife is a Polished PJ Regular (2003), and the right is a 2010 Annual (polished...of course).

The left has the older "square" grind at the tang. The Annual has a grind that's a lot more like the polished 31s.

IMG_0781.jpeg

Interesting! A long lost detail that might be at home on the thread about sebenza design changes over the years.

Back