The Arc Thread...

gas station knives
I look for the sweet spot of cost vs performance = value .

Performance below minimum standards, can easily cost you money, in ruined work and lost time .

Or even be a safety hazard .

I will reluctantly spend more, if necessary . Like Swiss and Japanese pruning tools . :eek:

"Probably not covered by warranty". Do you know this for fact or are you basing your whole post off an assumption? My experience with LM warranty has been fantastic. I had a Wingman fixed years ago when I snapped off a screwdriver tip, no questions asked. Then a few weeks ago I sent in my OHT because I knocked it off a stepladder and snapped off a tip. Not only did they replace the broken tool I asked about, but also replaced the Phillips head since that was fairly worn. Basically all of those needed repairs were either my fault through negligence or the result of wear and tear, not manufacturing defects. There is a reason I have 5 LM tools: they are very good at what they do, and LM stands behind their product with an outstanding customer service department.

I would check on those facts before assuming your Arc is trash if you wear out the file.
There's a reason that dude is on my ignore list. Just sayin'.

"Probably not covered by warranty". Do you know this for fact or are you basing your whole post off an assumption?

The answer to your question was given in the post you replied to. In case you are having trouble finding it, I will simply quote it for you.

It's about the diamond file. What happens when it wears out? Standard wear and tear isn't covered.

While the exact text of the warranty is not given anywhere on Leatherman's website (not that I was able to find, anyway), I did find a source from knifecountryusa. The exact text given on their site is:

"Leatherman Multi-Tools does not warrant its products against normal wear or misuse."

source: https://www.knifecountryusa.com/shop/article/183/leatherman-multi-tools-warranty-information.html

Wearing out the diamond coating on the file would count as normal wear, would it not?

Wearing out the diamond coating on the file would count as normal wear, would it not?

Any wear on any file? Or any saw? Or anything else.

It's a stupid argument.

I buy tools to use them. If I wear one out, I buy another one. I wore out an SOG Powerlock before I bought the Arc. It took me over a decade of everyday use.

I've probably used this Arc a hundred times and have been hibernating inside mostly because of this annoying cold snap. It's not worn out yet....

"Probably not covered by warranty". Do you know this for fact or are you basing your whole post off an assumption? My experience with LM warranty has been fantastic. I had a Wingman fixed years ago when I snapped off a screwdriver tip, no questions asked. Then a few weeks ago I sent in my OHT because I knocked it off a stepladder and snapped off a tip. Not only did they replace the broken tool I asked about, but also replaced the Phillips head since that was fairly worn. Basically all of those needed repairs were either my fault through negligence or the result of wear and tear, not manufacturing defects. There is a reason I have 5 LM tools: they are very good at what they do, and LM stands behind their product with an outstanding customer service department.

I would check on those facts before assuming your Arc is trash if you wear out the file.

Using the file until it wears out is absolutely normal use and I’d be very surprised if it was covered under warranty.

Now, I’m sure Leatherman would replace the file for a new one for a very reasonable price.

But I doubt it would be a warranty job. But hey you never know.

Last edited:
No doubt they include that verbiage to protect themselves from a person trying to abuse the warranty. However... They replaced my screwdriver which was worn out from normal use, and tools that broke from what could even be considered abuse or negligence, and never asked me to pay for parts or repairs, which I would have done. That was my whole point. My experience is that if you somehow managed to wear that tool out and sent it in for repairs, at MOST you’d be asked to pay a few bucks for the file, and I’d say there’s a good chance they would even do it free. The idea of the other poster that you’d have to throw away the whole Arc and buy a new one is pretty ridiculous.

No doubt they include that verbiage to protect themselves from a person trying to abuse the warranty. However... They replaced my screwdriver which was worn out from normal use, and tools that broke from what could even be considered abuse or negligence, and never asked me to pay for parts or repairs, which I would have done. That was my whole point. My experience is that if you somehow managed to wear that tool out and sent it in for repairs, at MOST you’d be asked to pay a few bucks for the file, and I’d say there’s a good chance they would even do it free. The idea of the other poster that you’d have to throw away the whole Arc and buy a new one is pretty ridiculous.
Agreed.

I ordered a few extra Phillips/standard bits yesterday to insure I'm a Premere Insider for my birthday next month. I'll get the bit extender and a few things next month to make sure I get that sheath.

Yesterday I had an issue with a recliner. The bit kit that came with my Arc had an Allen wrench that fit perfect. I had never really known about those skinny Allen wrenches before. Next week (birthday month) I'm ordering all of those bit kits to go with my extension. That was slick as snot, and I didn't have to go out in the rain looking for Allen wrenches.

I'm digging this Arc.

FCDl1q3.jpg

Does anybody here have experience with the aftermarket Damascus cutter blades?

My original ones are fine, I'm just a spare freak and am curious about fit, finish and quality.

I liked the P2, and this looks like a nicer tool, but I'm not ready to make the jump yet. I kinda wish they'd release it with a 420HC blade, because Magnacut in this sort of thing doesn't matter to me.
It's likely how they justified the price jump, otherwise it would still be pretty similar to a surge or charge

Loving the arc after getting it about a month ago. Very fun to fidget with and extremely capable. The prybar/bottle opener is awesome. It’s been easily prying my gas cap open after the electric release failed and has been handy as a scrapper as well. The scissors are nice and big. I also really like the blade shape and size and how easy to open too. It’s a big upgrade from other multitools I’ve had. I haven’t gone camping/fishing with it yet but I will be soon and I’m looking forward to turning it loose.

Only negative is it’s a bit rougher in my hands than the Swisstool spirit and rebar I was using before and I’ve dinged up my hands a bunch mastering the one handed awesomeness of it.

My arc arrives tomorrow. My first Leatherman. I've happily had a Swiss tool for decades.

It was the 30% off coupon that enticed me.

Back