The best all around Mora Knife

Not sure any are out yet but I liked the 6-inch blade model they had on display at SHOT this year. The Bushcraft Pathfinder.

Not sure any are out yet but I liked the 6-inch blade model they had on display at SHOT this year. The Bushcraft Pathfinder.
I like that; thanks for mentioning it. Was set on a Companion HD as a lightweight, um, companion knife for my folding saw to split wood with when I want fire, but was holding off, as I was really looking for something light with a 5-6" blade that had a good geometry for splitting. Might try that instead if it doesn't weigh much more.

Just dropped $12 on a new classic #2 to check one out. Good gravy this thing slices thin curls of highly saturated Doug fir fat wood unlike any knife I own including high dollar custom knives. What gives??

Just dropped $12 on a new classic #2 to check one out. Good gravy this thing slices thin curls of highly saturated Doug fir fat wood unlike any knife I own including high dollar custom knives. What gives??

Shh! it's a secret. If yea go around blabbing it the gig will be up.

I don't know which one is best but I just ordered another one. A Mora 2/0 should be in my mail box by Friday. I have wanted one of the for a whle.

Jim

I said something more or less similar on another forum and received a pile on boot f...ing extraordinaire.

I don't know which one is best but I just ordered another one. A Mora 2/0 should be in my mail box by Friday. I have wanted one of the for a whle.

Jim

The sadly discontinued Mora 1/0 is one of my favorite necker regardless of price. Full rat tail tangs on the 1/0 and 2/0 for those who care. The number 2/0 has a 3 inch blade and 1/0 is 3.5 unless I have my numbers mixed up which is easy to do.

Compared to a Number 2.

Nope, you have your numbers right. My 2/0 is a great little knife. The blade is just a tinch under 3".

I am likening my 2/0. Nice solid feeling little knife. Probably gonna try carrying it as a neck knife while woods walking.

Jim

For those wanting a 1/0
There is a Mora Scout #39 with a leather sheath that is 3 1/2" in SS with a guard
It is a great size

it dépends off the purpose of the trip but i choose a mora 2010 because it's the one i have wich is the closest to a multi purpose knife when out and about, basically on holydays ,at the sea, at friends home,at a rented house...

plastic sheath and handle, stainless blade,so no maintenance.
the weird grinding makes it good for food prep, and closer to the handle good at Feather sticks making.
note that i filed down th tip a little bit to have a less rounded tip ,a more clipped point to get a better control off the blade...
(you could add a swiss army knife to it and have a perfect combination off Tools, and defend yourself with corkscrew if attacked by a wine bottle, or cap lifter if assaulted by a beer)

sorry to awake this old post, but i guess a silent somebody needed my expertise!

I have quite a few Moras, including the carbon Bushcraft Black, an orange Companion in SS, the Light My Fire also in SS one, a long Mora Allround in SS for kitchen duty, and so far I found that I reach for the Mora Classic the most. I also noticed that the barrel-shaped handle makes it easy to use in bulky winter gloves, which makes sense in Swedish climate. I wouldn't bring it somewhere where it can rust easily, got the orange Companion in stainless steel for that, but other than that it's my go-to Mora. I've stripped the red paint, removed the belt loop and set it up for neck carry. Neck carry makes extra sense in the winter, when hanging it on the belt under a heavy coat makes it quite hard to reach. With neck carry, I can just stuff it down my coat if it's not in use, or leave it out if I need to be able to get to it easily.
8B8CYMr.jpg

The most usage is with my carbon Companion (second from the top) but after trying a Classic #1 (bottom) for a while I really like the weight and overall feel. It's personally my favourite now.
I would say if its your first mora try the Companion. It's a little more forgiving to use with the grippy ergonomic handle and you can choose carbon or stainless with very little price difference

Ha. I just saw it was an older post. Hopefully OP has at least a few Mora's by now :D

Say Heah Boys and gurls, I recently bought a Mora 510 which is becoming one of my Fav's neck knives, and I do have a few that are more espensive, I'm not saying the Mora 510 is better,, I just like how lite it is how thin the blade it is and it fit's my hand good with control. The Classic #1 has a similar blade and the handle is wooden a close pick between the two. The Mora 2000 for the $$$ is awesome and I teamed it with my Mora Hatchet. But my Mora Forest Exclusive # 277 is a piece of art, it's Handmade with Hardwood handle and a laminated blade with a brass bolster and pommel and the stick tang goes all the way through and is capped at the lommel. It's a slender version of the Classic #1 But the fit feels great in my hand and I wear a large glive, It also comes in a beautuful leather sheath. I guess I like the 510 because the blade is thin, but what a slicer, I didn't realize how much I use it because it's always right there. For such a thin blade, it's pretty strong. Although I strictly use it as a knife. I only paid $9.99 for it, The handle has alot of control when I use it, so I guess I like that better tgan a round handle, Infact I'm thinking of taking the sides down on my Mora Classic #1. I like both knives, But the Mora 200 for the $$$ is a great knife, I even like the 12c27 Sandvik Stainless it's made of, a real good one.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Leghog, could you say more about the laminate steel?
Not much to say. A core of hardened (61/62 Rc IIRC) high carbon steel sandwiched between softer (~58 Rc IIRC) lower carbon steel layers. Provides good edge retention and forgiving blade flexibility.

Here's another Mora laminate I have. Scout from the 1950s. I don't think the seller knew what he had. He sold it a price fair to both of us, but I don't think he realized what a good knife it really is.

K.J.%2520Eriksson%2520Mora%2520Scout.JPG

Back