The Buckmaster 084. 420HC. G10 Scales. $800?!

I can't help but feel like the Buckmaster 084 Combat Diver was poorly named...

I mean, if you're going to charge $800 for a 6" 420HC Blade with G10 Handles, then why not give it a more appropriate name like the Buckmaster 180 Highway Man?

https://www.buckknives.com/product/084-buckmaster-2024-legacy-collection/?sku=0084BKXLE-B

I'm sorry, but I just cannot get over how much they're changing for this thing... If they had any sense whatsoever, then they would charge $84 for it and market it as the heir apparent to the Ontario MK3.

It's roughly the same size, weight, and materials as the $74.99 Buck 119 Special, so there's no logical reason for it to cost 10x the price! It's complete highway robbery that I had been hoping that price was nothing more than a highball placeholder, but there it is, right on there official website!

But then again, I suppose this is the image they're going for now if their ad for the Buck Deploy Series was any indication...

Unfortunate-Buckknives-Ad.png

What are they thinking?

weirdly I kinda like it, but have no use for it and I'm not willing to pay that much for it. even if it was made of exotic and rare super steel and materials.

I also don't care for the partial serrated part. other than that it looks cool and I'm sure useful to the right person in the right application.

it's a $350 knife to me as is........

My wallet did a butt clench on the 110TRX Titanium and that had a S45V blade for only $475map. Will be hard to get it to open for this one. 420HC and Micarta seems standard grade. We've been hearing about this knife for years. I wonder why the lead up was so long? Like Jesse, I do "kinda like it". The blade is symmetrical, put the serrations on the other side?
I'm attachment limited, someone gonna post a picture?

Last edited:
I think it’s a Legacy thing. I’d never spend that kind of money for that kind of knife. It was a real struggle for me to buy the new 112 Legacy since I’ve been really happy with my current 112. As a custom limited edition (1 of 500) with S30V, Micarta, nickel and a drop point, it was $100 5 years ago but this new 112 is more than 3 times that price! I just couldn’t help myself though because it’s SO unique in the Buck lineup and is just gorgeous with the scalloped Richlite scales and S45VN blade. I could see where a little more money went. $800 for the 084 is kinda insulting though.

I'm probably showing my age, but not that long ago, $800 would buy a decent used car. I'm happy for those of yall who have waited for one of these, and I hope you're able to get one. Myself, I've never owned a Buckmaster, and not likely to in the future. To each their own.
Cheers!

Sad that when this finally came out everyone one is either cash strapped or certainly more frugal in how they spend their knife/hobby collectibles money.
I just bought a 70-80’s Buck 118 for about a 10th of the price. Would rather stretch that $800 out over the year and find more older Bucks.

I see still exceeding my picture limit? Sad as one of the reasons i love this forum is posting relevant pictures.

Back