The Buzzard's Perch

Hey fellas! First off, congrats on your own forum here Leatherman!!! I've been lucky enough to pick up some second hand sheaths and they are top quality.

On scotch... try Belvanie bouble wood. It's not overly expensive (about $45 for a fifth) and is one of my favorite single malts. They finish the aging process in a sherry wine cask which gives it a unique aftertaste. Great stuff.

On hog meat... It varies. I've killed two so far this year, and many more in the past 8 years or so. The following is a bit of advice and a couple of guidelines will help you determine if they are worthy of your table:

1. Boars: They are far more gamey. I don't eat them. If they stink on the outside, the inside will be no better.

2. Trichinosis: They have it. Most of them anyway, and a variety of other diseases that are transferable to humans. Please cook it thoroughly, and wear latex gloves during field processing. Especially if you have cuts on your hands (like I always seem to...)

3. Little ones are best. While we all want to shoot the big ones, the little ones are much more tender. An "eater" in my book is 85 lbs or less.

Using these guidelines, there is no reason that feral pig cannot be absolutely delicious. It is leaner than store bought pork. Personally, when I grill or smoke it I add more pork in the way of bacon. Everyone loves bacon. Just place it over the top of the meat and it provides excellent flavor and enough fat to prevent the toughness that the lean meat generally has without it's addition. Other guys use a stick of butter, rubbing it on the meat as they flip it on the grill. It works too, but lets face it... nothing beats bacon!

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
So far we have had good luck with wild pig, but we also learned a way to get most of the gamey taste out. After we get it quartered we put them into a large ice chest with ice and lots of salt. This effectively brine's the meat. This works well with deer too. We usually soak it for several days, up to a week with a nasty boar or old Buck, seems those old farts take longer to soak.

I've been on the lookout for places to cull pigs, they are becoming a real nuisance around here and all over the South. Evidently there are two (yea two) reality shows dedicated to those who hunt the mean little buggers. I'd rather shoot em at a safe distance. :)

You got in there while I was writing! Thank you very much for the kind words my friend! :D Good advice all around! Especially on hte Belvanie, I'm going to be on the lookout as I've been given permission to get a nice bottle for Christmas! :)

Hey fellas! First off, congrats on your own forum here Leatherman!!! I've been lucky enough to pick up some second hand sheaths and they are top quality.

On scotch... try Belvanie bouble wood. It's not overly expensive (about $45 for a fifth) and is one of my favorite single malts. They finish the aging process in a sherry wine cask which gives it a unique aftertaste. Great stuff.

On hog meat... It varies. I've killed two so far this year, and many more in the past 8 years or so. The following is a bit of advice and a couple of guidelines will help you determine if they are worthy of your table:

1. Boars: They are far more gamey. I don't eat them. If they stink on the outside, the inside will be no better.

2. Trichinosis: They have it. Most of them anyway, and a variety of other diseases that are transferable to humans. Please cook it thoroughly, and wear latex gloves during field processing. Especially if you have cuts on your hands (like I always seem to...)

3. Little ones are best. While we all want to shoot the big ones, the little ones are much more tender. An "eater" in my book is 85 lbs or less.

Using these guidelines, there is no reason that feral pig cannot be absolutely delicious. It is leaner than store bought pork. Personally, when I grill or smoke it I add more pork in the way of bacon. Everyone loves bacon. Just place it over the top of the meat and it provides excellent flavor and enough fat to prevent the toughness that the lean meat generally has without it's addition. Other guys use a stick of butter, rubbing it on the meat as they flip it on the grill. It works too, but lets face it... nothing beats bacon!

Hope this helps...

Found it! But, going to have to wait a bit, but it is on my radar and will be mine, eventually. :) I saw its older brother right next to it, Holy Crap!!! :eek:

Yeah, some of the older Scotches go for some downright scary prices. I've been able to keep my purchases below $60 or so, so far.

∞

You aint just whistling Dixie! I saw some downright dizzy prices on the top shelf! And what they have secured in the "back room" is even more "intoxicating". I was getting a contact high just handling some of those three figure bottles.

my experience is 8 year scotch is good for mixing.
10 year is sharp but tolerable
12 is good, 16 generally better
18+ is pouring $$ down the drain, because I can't really taste the "improvement" - and can buy several bottles of "good to better" for the same price.
Lavagulin 16 is one of my all time favorites (heavy on the smoke) and the last time i bought any it was $45 -- now it's $75 or so. :(

Back