The Club and Improvised weapons thread (Post your Handy work!)

Don't you think it might be more of a "Strike 3, you're out!" type of thing? ;)

I like it!

~Chip

That is so cool man. I've got the Cold Steel war club made from that polypropylene material. It's got nothing on this.

Newest edition of "101 uses for 2" ball bearings"...

Scavenged chain and 3/4" pipe caps, gifted Ironwood dowel. I'll finish fitting the caps tomorrow, but the potential is definitely there ;)

~Chip

Last edited:
This thread is very inspirational - or a really, REALLY bad influence. I'm not sure which. Ive got two limbs with large knots that will make great shillelaghs. I'll post them up when I'm done making them.

~Chris

992j17I.jpg

qj3xxlf.jpg

Just finished this on up this week.

I love threads like this. They are extremely fun and entertaining, and I think they are a good reminder of how things were when we were kids. Using our creativity, ingenuity, and what we had laying around to come up with fun toys and tools of destruction.

I've been trying my best to make a gorilla fist with a billiard ball, but I've been experiencing nothing but one failure after another. Multiple attempts all end up with the finished product looking like crap because I can't keep the paracord passes straight and neat. They keep getting tangled, bunched up, and I'm getting horribly frustrated with it all.

I've been trying my best to make a gorilla fist with a billiard ball, but I've been experiencing nothing but one failure after another. Multiple attempts all end up with the finished product looking like crap because I can't keep the paracord passes straight and neat. They keep getting tangled, bunched up, and I'm getting horribly frustrated with it all.
You can make a jig to hold a ball in place with a piece of wood, a drill, and some dowels. They sell small ones, but not really in the billiard ball size; take a look and upscale the size. I found that putting rubber bands around the free end of the dowels helps hold heavier balls in place, it's the only thing that worked on a 2" ball bearing I wrapped. I also found that buying steel paracord needles worked better than making them from aluminum chicago screws. But it takes a ridiculously long time to wrap a 2" bearing versus a 1" bearing because surface area increases by squares instead of in a linear progression, and billiard balls would be worse. Take a few turns at a time, and walk away. Good luck!

You can make a jig to hold a ball in place with a piece of wood, a drill, and some dowels. They sell small ones, but not really in the billiard ball size; take a look and upscale the size. I found that putting rubber bands around the free end of the dowels helps hold heavier balls in place, it's the only thing that worked on a 2" ball bearing I wrapped. I also found that buying steel paracord needles worked better than making them from aluminum chicago screws. But it takes a ridiculously long time to wrap a 2" bearing versus a 1" bearing because surface area increases by squares instead of in a linear progression, and billiard balls would be worse. Take a few turns at a time, and walk away. Good luck!

The problem is I was using a jig at the time. Made it myself specifically sized for billiard balls to hold everything nice and neat. But 11 passes is just too thick to look nice and neat without them riding over one another and getting tangled up in between the dowels.

Time for another little something to contribute. A hardware store kusari fundo/manrikigusari, something that I've wanted to make for some time now, and finally got around to.

C2nRsz5.jpg

More impractical stuff inbound.

First a set of nunchaku, constructed with the Okinawan tying method.
xZIaJhP.jpg

Next, a modified rope dart with the rings properly aligned, and the rope shortened to a more reasonable length.
VHCGwLW.jpg

And so I don't impale myself, a practice rope dart for learning the drills.
x3RoAk4.jpg

Back