The Deer Hunter - Buck 118 Personal (permanent thread - keep adding)

That kydex sheath looks great.

I spent last week on the outer banks of North Carolina. I did a little fishing, only one keeper. Weather was not great with high winds and chilly temps, so most of my days were spent having fun with family.

I leave in an hour to head to West Virginia for Thanksgiving/deer season. I have 3 different 118's with me. i'll post more pics next weekend.

pcWBg39.jpg

WVURDFR.jpg
Nice fish, is that a whiting?

What is the story on this knife?
Thanks for your interest. This knife was a product of Leroy Remer and Heath Stone when they were collaborating on knives. There were 4 produced. It seems Buck had some blades that were D2 and were double stamped, don't know the story on that.

I here is a closeup photo of the side that has D2 stamped on it with the COA. I included another of the 'pile' side. which doesn't show the D2 marking very well, for reference.

It is truly a wonderfully finished knife, one of my cherished favorites.
CJVfIIn.jpg

giWxjFz.jpg

I never think about pics until after the work. Here is my s35v 118. I used it to skin out a couple of deer. Worked well. I also used a D2 on a different day. It did great too.
The other knife in the pic is my buddies 101 that he did a little work on. The sure touch G10 handles were pretty cool.
qm1Cl99.jpg

I received this in the mail a couple of days ago. I bought it off the auction site cheap since it did not have a sheath and arrived in pretty bad condition. Buck currently does not sell a 118 sheath. It fits in the 105 sheath fairly well. Buck is also selling a 117 Brahma sheath. Does anyone know if a 118 would fit in the 117 sheath?

My plans are to cut the handle off this weekend and try to put a leather wrapped handle on the knife. I will post follow up photos in a few weeks if the surgery and reconstruction go well.
53398572255_946261cda8_o.jpg

My plans are to cut the handle off this weekend and try to put a leather wrapped handle on the knife
'...cut the handle off...'? '...put a leather wrapped handle on...??? This is a fine older 1972-73, 118. It's your knife, and you're able to do what you want.

But, I would ask you to think about cutting off the handle. Would a leather wrapped handle be better than the phenolic one that's on there.

Maybe I don't understand what you are saying

Here is a link to some information on the 100 series

Maybe I don't understand what you are saying.
I want a leather wrapped 100 series knife. Ideally I would like a leather wrapped 105, but the L.L. Bean version is rather pricey and I would be hesitant to use it if I paid that much for a knife. I wanted to practice on a cheap knife. This 118 was $32 delivered. If it was in pristine condition, I would not touch it since Buck is not making 50-year-old knives anymore. It is definitely usable as is, but the pommel is beat up and the phenolic handle shows wear even after sanding it. If I can do this successfully, I will buy a new 105 and put a leather handle on it. If I fail, I will have learned some lessons and will have an old 118 with an electrical tape handle. :)

I assume the spacers, but what clues did you use to determine the 72-73 date range?

53250994148_7c487429b6_o.jpg

I assume the spacers, but what clues did you use to determine the 72-73 date range?
Yes, the number of spacers.
Thanks for the explanation. I was worried that you would be cutting off the handle, like at the guard and/or trying to wrap leather around it. What you are talking about doing is called a stacked leather handle and I wish you the best. I love a stacked leather handle. Let us know how it goes for you.

Buck Knife 118 Personal. I should have done it this morning, but I forgot to check the date! Not going to start a new thread for 1-18-24 as there is too much history and too many fine pictures of the Buck 118 Personal already in this thread. Let’s just add on (use a new or an old picture). This thread can go on indefinitely, just like the Buck 118. OH
Buck_118_circa_mid-1970’s.jpg

I want a leather wrapped 100 series knife. Ideally I would like a leather wrapped 105, but the L.L. Bean version is rather pricey and I would be hesitant to use it if I paid that much for a knife. I wanted to practice on a cheap knife. This 118 was $32 delivered. If it was in pristine condition, I would not touch it since Buck is not making 50-year-old knives anymore. It is definitely usable as is, but the pommel is beat up and the phenolic handle shows wear even after sanding it. If I can do this successfully, I will buy a new 105 and put a leather handle on it. If I fail, I will have learned some lessons and will have an old 118 with an electrical tape handle. :)

53250994148_7c487429b6_o.jpg
I'm with pjsjr pjsjr on this. When you said "wrapped" leather, I was picturing something Conan the barbarian would be sporting... 😂

View attachment 2462351

Back