The first knife you bought yourself

Dont ask questions like this!! It taxes my brain!
There've been so MANY! :D

First I bought myself... yikes... uhh... prolly that little Shrade Raider (I think thats what it was called) I bought when I was about 8 or 9.
At Wal-Mart no less... back when they would sell a 3 inch blade to someone under 18.
Now, at 6 feet tall, sometimes with a short growth of beard, and often mistaken for being older, I cant buy a piddly ass little pocket knife without ID that says I am 18. :( :rolleyes:

Thank goodness for Mailorder and the Net... Wal-Mart has crappy knives anyway. haha

I had a lust for knives young. The guy behind the counter wouldn't sell me a knife when I wandered around Boulder before the age of ten. Western fixed blades ranged from 99¢ to about $10. A few years later we had moved to PA and when I started Scouting, I finally got that Western I always wanted, think I paid about $6 for a five inch clip in 1966.

The only Western I've got left is an L-77 stilleto that came with two more knives for $4 at a yard sale (really nice find)

First knife ever was a rusty old two blade folder I found in our basement, think I was seven or eight. Dad had started me out with axes at about the same time, I'm still waiting for him to pass on his service knife from WWII (always managed to find it when I would sneak off with it)

Originally posted by mnblade
But what about the first quality knife you bought for yourself.

BM 812SBT. About 5 years ago ? I still have it. It is a better overall knife than the current crop of 812's (mostly heat treat).

First knife I bought myself at age 15 on a summer vacation to Prague was a Mikov lockback knife with a locking blade and a SAK-style powerful saw. It came with a bone or fake stag (quite real looking) slab handle and a leather pouch. Lockbacks were rare at that time, at least behind the Iron Curtain. The knife was heavy and rather huge for the pocket but I fell in love with its solid feel instantly. I carried it faithfully through high school as a huge bulge in my jeans front pocket. It was stolen by one of my fellow soldiers during army service and missed badly. For a picture, see 232 NH 2KP at
http://www.hyperlink.cz/mikov-folders/Links/links.html

HM

It was a stag-handled fixed blade, traditional German style, that I bought while camping with the family at Round Lake, NY, in the late 60's, when I was about 8. Paid less than $3 for it. That knife went to many places with me.

Buck 110, 1976.
Still got it too :D
I don't remember how many sheaths I've gone through!

1963 a buck 110 the rear bolster was all brass had to ride my bike
to downtown sunnyvale thats right in the middle of the silicone
valley it was mostly orchards then now its hard to find dirt,
still have or I should say my first son does recently buoght
a 560 titanium I think it could last forever

in the seventies when I was around 10. in the back of boy scout magazine(I think?) there was an offer buy 1 knife get the other for 1 penny. they were 2 switch blade looking black handled with the "S" guard. I think some one stole them as with everything else I owned in my neighborhood.

then I wanted so badly an airforce survival knife never got one.

so many others but the next knife I bought was a SOG winder in 94'.

I have owned others before that but they were either found or given to me.

In 1973 (29yrs ago) I had just turned 16, had a drivers license and a part time job. I had pocket knives in my pocket since at least third grade or so,(three blade stockmen) but honestly can't remember where I got them. But the one I remember spending my own money on, after driving my own self to the store, was a Schrade LB7.
Still have and use it. It has been on about all of my camping, fishing, and hunting trips since.

The first knife I bought myself was a Gerber Folding Sportsman II, back in 1981 or 82. This was a nice lockback, drop point, about the size of the Buck 110 or 112, but with a thinner body. The blade was flatground, not hollow ground, and I could get it very sharp. Held an edge well, too. Wish gerber would make this one again.

Well I most have been somewhere around 15, it was a cheap butterfly knife... I had alot of fun "playing" with it.. everthing from Throwing it at things to just opening and closing it as fast as possible. At the time.. knives were just toys to me...hmmm I suppose they still are! But now my sense of quality is a bit higher.. Just wish my wallet was fatter!! :D

My first knife was a Ka-Bar "Buck 110" style folding hunter.

The first one I bought myself was either a Kershaw DWO II or Kershaw Amphibian -- I bought them both around the same time, can't remember which was first.

All three are gone now -- the Ka-Bar & Amphibian "magically disappeared" shortly after my ex-step-son learned of thier existance. I gave the DWO II to my grandfather.

Mike

I still have the first good knife I ever bought - a benchmade Kodiak linerlock folder with serrations. How's that for a blast from the past?

actually my knife buying history is short, due to lack of money, so i can fit it all in :p

heh, im back if anyone remembers me, my dad disabled my access to the site, and that sucks considering i was on the site probably once a day. my parents dont like my 'fetish' (as my mum puts it) with knives. i figured a way around the firewall, dunno how long ill be able to use it though

anyway, first knife i bought myself was a cheap 15 dollar piece of **** folder by tomahawk.

then i got myself a stiff kiss, which was a big improvement, really really nice too, one it was mirror polished. gave to a friend and he LOST it. such a shame :(

then i got myself a benchmade 940 thanks to james healy

and then a camillus EDC. which is clipped to my beltline at the moment. excellent knife

its good to be back :)

Daniel

In 1982 I worked in a cannery in Kodiak, Alaska. I was 16. I took my hard earned money (which probably smelled like fish) and bought a Swiss Champion at the Coast Guard base. I have used that knife for more things than you can imagine... the obvious like cutting, sawing, etc. and the not so obvious like minor surgery and using the tweezers as a roach clip (which I lost back in college;) ). This knife still goes with me everywhere.

The first thing I did when I graduated from high school was take some of my graduation money to buy my first knife--a Cold Steel Tanto. My first quality one-hand opener was a Benchmade Leopard Cub, and my first quality balisong was/is a Benchmade BM43 that just came in the mail last week.

Back