The first N-SAR

As has been announced here recently, EKI has decided to make the N-SAR available to the public. Previously, it was only available to Naby rescue personnel. Now, I hesitate to claim any credit for this, but the fact is that I was invited to contact a member of the Emerson family for some information on this knife, and in doing so, I pointed out how this knife could also be useful to civilian rescue personnel for the same reasons that it is to the Navy. The response I received to my email was that EKI would make this knife available to the public.

I ordered one, the shipping of which has been discussed in another thread, and it arrived today. I did speak with someone at EKI who confirmed that mine is indeed the first authorized sale of an N-SAR to someone outside the military. Of course, these knives have wound up in the hands of civilians in the past, by unauthorized (maybe technically unlawful) means, so I'm certainly not the first civilian to own one. But mine is apparently the first one authorized for civilian sale. (Although due to a shipping error, one with a lower serial number may eventually be sold to another civilian.)

Now, this is a specialized knife, one made for a specific purpose: rescue operations. This is not a knife that the average person looking for an EDC would be interested in. This knife is good for cutting through clothes to help get them off a victim's body, which is necessary in rescues to visualize and assess injuries. The tip is blunt, so as not to accidentally stick a victim. The cutting hook inset into the main blade is for cutting through straps to disentangle a victim, or webbing, such as seatbelts. This cutter can also be used to slice through clothing. When folded, the cutter is fully exposed, so it can be used without unfolding the blade.

Here are some photos...

What more suitable way to open a package from EKI than with another Emerson knife?

An unboxing photo...

Unfolded...

Blade closeup...

Next to a regular CQC-8, to give a size comparison. The N-SAR is my second Emerson knife, therefore this is my complete collection so far...

Nice one! Congrats on a fine purchase! You going to carry that one too?

At work, yes. Outside of work it would be of limited usefulness. Now I just need to figure out how to carry it, what pocket, etc. Honestly, at my current job, the opportunity to use a tool like this doesn't come up very often.

There are other tools available to EMTs and rescue personnel that will fulfill the same functions as this tool. This is certainly not the only option. I would like to try testing this against some of the other options. I may go to a thrift store and buy several pairs of blue jeans, then get a volunteer to allow me to try cutting them off using each of the various options. Then I want to get some seatbelts, maybe from a junk yard, and see which of the options cuts through them quickest and easiest. Then I may try cutting rope as well. I may think of some other tests. I'm in the planning stages of this comparison test now, but when I do it, I intend to film it and I'll post the video on YouTube and give a link here.

A test of this knife would certainly be appreciated by all those interested:thumbup:. I would certainly be one of those individuals:D.

Did you know the first 5 NSAR's were the prototypes and were made with pointy tips???
(Not my pic)

Did you know the first 5 NSAR's were the prototypes and were made with pointy tips???
(Not my pic)

That is a bit surprising, since all the information I can find indicates the NSAR was a variation of the SARK, which had a blunt-nose tip. The pointed-tip version existed, as the P-SARK, requested by police as a variation of the SARK, which was requested by the Navy. The Navy used the SARK for awhile before requesting the addition of the line cutter to the SARK model they were already using. So I don't understand why the prototype would have a pointed tip, when it was based on a design that already had a blunt tip.

The first five were for testing purposes and were made with pointy tips. The call was to change it to blunt nose for the production run after that.

I still haven't done any formal testing yet, but I've accidentally found out how sharp the line cutter is.

I wear 5.11 Stryke pants to work, these pants have a reinforced panel at the bottom of the main pocket openings that are great for clipping pocket clips onto. This is where I first tried carrying the NSAR, but after a day or two I found it was interfering with my keys which I keep in the same pocket. I then tried carrying it inside one of the cargo pockets, which is divided inside by a piece of fabric; it was this divider that I clipped the knife to.

When I was folding that pair of pants after washing them, I noticed there was a gash at the base of the pocket opening, and also the dividing panel inside the cargo pocket was sliced up. At first, I didn't realize what the cause was. It wasn't until I was putting the NSAR into the cargo pocket of another pair of pants and I happened to feel the line cutter bite into the divider flap that I realized what had happened.

The line cutter had neatly sliced through the fabric, including the multiple layers of the reinforced panel at the bottom of the pocket opening, with very minimal pressure.

Hopefully you can get into the pocket area and be able to re-sew that divider together. Those are nice pants.

I got my NSAR in last week (Thanks Sylvan!) and really like it. The guys at work really liked it also, everyone thought it was unique. I told them the story behind it of course.

I've always liked the SARK, and was hesitant to buy a black-bladed Emerson, as I'm so dang particular that I buy satin blades to keep them looking like new all the time, but this one is one I cannot resist.

The action is really smooth, also, and mine is new from 2012 when they were not for sale to the public yet. I find it interesting that the Navy-sold version is far smoother than my newer consumer-market Emersons are, at least initially.

One of my CQC 15s from this year, the serrated one (which I prefer, but I prefer serrations on Emersons) is just as smooth, but it was taken apart and cleaned up a bit. The PE one got the same treatment, but is still really stiff. Maybe I'll play with it today while watching TV and get it to smooth out a little by EOD.

But the NSAR felt like a broken-in Enerson, perfect, and it was BNIB. I won't be taking it apart. How is the action on yours?

I also find it interesting that they started the serial numbers off all over again. My Navy-spec (but exact same knife save for a backspacer, which was what they all had in 2012) is Serial #7054, and the new ones I've seen pictures of are 046, 047, etc. I guess to track how many they sell, or to make it seem like a brand-new knife release, which I guess in a way it is.

Hopefully you can get into the pocket area and be able to re-sew that divider together. Those are nice pants.

I got my NSAR in last week (Thanks Sylvan!) and really like it. The guys at work really liked it also, everyone thought it was unique. I told them the story behind it of course.

I've always liked the SARK, and was hesitant to buy a black-bladed Emerson, as I'm so dang particular that I buy satin blades to keep them looking like new all the time, but this one is one I cannot resist.

The action is really smooth, also, and mine is new from 2012 when they were not for sale to the public yet. I find it interesting that the Navy-sold version is far smoother than my newer consumer-market Emersons are, at least initially.

One of my CQC 15s from this year, the serrated one (which I prefer, but I prefer serrations on Emersons) is just as smooth, but it was taken apart and cleaned up a bit. The PE one got the same treatment, but is still really stiff. Maybe I'll play with it today while watching TV and get it to smooth out a little by EOD.

But the NSAR felt like a broken-in Enerson, perfect, and it was BNIB. I won't be taking it apart. How is the action on yours?

I also find it interesting that they started the serial numbers off all over again. My Navy-spec (but exact same knife save for a backspacer, which was what they all had in 2012) is Serial #7054, and the new ones I've seen pictures of are 046, 047, etc. I guess to track how many they sell, or to make it seem like a brand-new knife release, which I guess in a way it is.

Where have you seen pictures of ones with serial numbers that low? Do they have the 2014 year mark on them? Mine has the 2014 year mark and is serial number 7815.

I've been hesitant to say anything, but mine is actually not very smooth at all. In fact it feels downright gritty. It felt that way right out of the box. I opened and closed it a bunch of times and still felt that way. I took it apart, cleaned it but saw no obvious signs of grit or debris or junk in there, put a light coat of 3-in-1 oil and put it back together. It still feels gritty. I've opened and closed it about 600 times. So I've had the opposite experience as you.

I wonder if the recent formulation of the black coating has changed. I have owned numerious Emersons with the BT coating up to 2010 with no issues. Several of my friends have Emersons from then to 2013 with no issues. I have recently purchased one of the BT Tigers and the sucker squeaks/scrapes sounding like the fork on plate noise. I know some folks have sold their BT Emerson simply because the noise never went away. I don't mind being that I am in a noisy evnmiroment when using the knife anyway but have notice this "issue".

You are correct; the photo I saw, once saved to insert here, indicated 2009:

image.jpg

However, this photo indicated 2011, and it says "Prototype" on the blade. I'm confused.

image.jpg

You are correct; the photo I saw, once saved to insert here, indicated 2009:

View attachment 497086

However, this photo indicated 2011, and it says "Prototype" on the blade. I'm confused.

View attachment 497087

I can't make out the dates on any of those. The second photo is the one from the Emerson website. Are you sure it says 2011? I can't make it out. If it does say 2911, maybe they made some minor change to something and whipped up a few prototypes...just guessing.

I can't make out the dates on any of those. The second photo is the one from the Emerson website. Are you sure it says 2011? I can't make it out. If it does say 2911, maybe they made some minor change to something and whipped up a few prototypes...just guessing.

Sorry for the confusion; when I saved them to my iPad, it indicated the date. Those numbers are years, not SN#s.

Back