The first (or last) 0.454 kg, or: What's in My Box

<DIV style="width: 150Px; float: right;">
_b1.jpg
_b2.jpg
</DIV>
This is what's in <strong>my</strong> "survival box", at the moment. It's not everything I'd carry, but it's the last things I'd want to lose.

Delica, Solitaire, magnesium fire starter, coated metal wire, London Metropolitan Police whistle, a little water purification tablets, an aluminium foil blanket, some stuff mostly made of sugar and (not shown) pieces of paper in the same bag as the foil.

I'll replace the whistle with a smaller, lighter, one and transfer this one to the "rest of the stuff" and since I've noticed I haven't got safety pins in all my clothes, add a couple to the box.
That will let the weight stay at around 0.380 kg.

What would be the first (or perhaps last) 0.454 kg <strong>you</strong> would choose to carry?

<br style="clear: all;"><div align=center><A HREF="http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/tmp/b3.jpg">
_b3.jpg
</A>
</div>

------------------
Urban Fredriksson
www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
Latest update Fällkniven S1

"Smooth and serrated blades cut in two entirely different fashions."
- The Teeth of the Tyrannosaurs, Scientific American, Sep 1999

For those of you not familiar with the metric system, .454 Kg = 454 gm. = one pound (about). One ounce = 28.35 gm. One fluid ounce = 29.57 cc.

Where did you find those stainless steel tins; they were initially designed for sushi, and were quite common in the USA in the 70's; I have been unable to find them since; any help is appreciated. One tip about them is that the roller fasteners on each end are unreliable. Put a large rubber band around the box, covering the fasteners.

Thanks in advance, Walt

Griffon;
Question, That survival kit reminds of the one that is made and issued to personel in the British SAS. Is the layout of kit based on the SAS Kit?????
confused.gif

------------------
Big-Target&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

I got the box in an outdoors/camping store here, but I haven't seen them for some years now.

I don't know anything about the SAS kit, my inspiration is mainly the Swedish air force survival pack (which is larger -- because there's a rubber boat in it too, still doesn't have better stuff in it than in the 1970's and much better packed (I think you have to be a professional packer to get all stuff into it)) and the box the Swedish defence forces recommended you put together (it's not issued, somewhat like the instructions tells us to bring a knife in case of mobilization).

The situations I find likely most of the time would allow one to walk to safety, even if it may take more than 24h, unlike situations where you have to count on staying out indefinitely. Modifications/deletions reflect this.

Neat stuff which is considered for a future aircrew survival pack: Vacuum packed sleeping bags. Quite impressive how small they can be made. I haven't tried on out, anyone here who has?

Griffon;
I just repacked my "mini-kit" similar to yours(hope you don't mind). The only difference if instead of ths Syderco knife, I used the Swiss Army knife(Rucksack model) to be put in the tin.

I'm itching to try it out!!!

------------------
Big-Target&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Back