The Flea Market Mung Absolution Thread

I'll blame this one on ~P pertinux pertinux but I'll take the Blackwood SD. Got P's in the mail call today to check out .. so heck yeah, I'm going to grab this 3/32 bute! PM incoming

I shall take this an indicator of your thoughts regarding the Sgian Dubh pattern, but of course look forward to hearing MORE. Hold onto mine at least until you can compare the 1/8" and 3/32" chunkahs head-to-head? And also please photochop a potential finger depression. :D

Not mine but ..

Seems to be a thin, guessing 3/32" Hiking Buddy with dark wood out on eBay.

Pics of my basically new Osage Handyman have been updated. Packed and ready for shipping. After tomorrow I'll be gone for a week in Vegas if anyone claims it.

Last edited:
Screaming deal on that BC Sr. by rcartmell3 You folks don't even know. Its about $100 off retail and still new. Only one like it.

DbmmM2o.jpg

CZHW83J.jpg

Well, I sold my only two FB knives today...both sold rather quickly. Obviously, I lost some money in the process, but I learned some things.
I like the FB knives. The quality is impeccable. The many grip options are wonderful. Very clean lines; perfection.
I do not need/like the 1/8" blade thickness for my VERY casual use. I don't go to "the woods." I want my carry knife to be thin enough to slice an apple. The FB knives I had were VERY sharp, but when slicing an apple...THIN IS IN.
My preferred knife will be 7" total length, or less, in order that I can carry it as horizontal cross-draw. A spine thickness of ~3/32" is one that I would prefer, and perhaps a hollow-grind and without a guard... to be more useful in the kitchen for veggie chopping, etc. I acted in haste in my purchase of the first two FB's, but will use what I learned to purchase fixed blades in the future. The nice folks that I've met here are quick to help and to offer suggestions...much appreciated. Thanks to all.
Don

Hey Don. Keep an eye out. We may see more 3/32 from Fiddleback forge. You are right. They are top notch knives. You sound like you have what you want nailed down. Just need to watch for them. Have you had time to check out Chris’s work at OKT? He does 3/32 tapered tangs in guardless versions all the time. Might be another option for you. Good luck on your venture to find that knife and hope to see ya around here still.

+1 on OKT

As for slicing/peeling apples - which I do several times every day - THIN is definitely IN. I could recommend a folder that has performed better than anything else I’ve tried. Let’s just say 1” tall FFG blade, 0.078” at the spine, and ridiculously thin behind the edge. Best “apple knife” IMO.

"food and knives" for thought ... :D

2v2uC8T53xAKujh.jpg

2v2uC8TzExAKujh.jpg

Warrior wrote me tonite, with some helpful hints, and informed me of this particular forum...of which I was completely unaware... He told me of the OKT guardless Warthog, and it really looks like a winner. Thanx, Jerry.
At least I don't think I've seen this forum previously... I mean, what is a "mung absolution thread?"
"mung" sounds Chinese..."Absolution" is something I'm constantly requesting from my wife for various unresolved
personality defects...on my part. But..."thread"...I know.
So, I'll try to tune in here for the most part... Some of us are tyros, ya know...
:)
don

Last edited:
Okay, outta the sack, ya lazy mutts. Up at seven; enter coffee heaven.
Good morning! What a "dark" day...so far.
Well, by accident, I just now read the first post in this wondrous collection of spontaneous verbal art, and NOW I feel poorly
for asking my question in the previous post. "READ...and thee shall know."
I loved all that bawdy rhetoric that tied together a somewhat simplistic religious tie, and know of it well, as my daddy was once a Texas preacher, and I grew up fighting wheat field fires and dark locust clouds with wet gunnysacks not more'n forty mile from Amarillo.
So, coffee in hand, and (tired)puppy by my side, I'm ready for just about anything...so long as you have some deference for an older, somewhat febrile fellow fancier of the blade.
'mornin...from Don

Last edited:
Okay, outta the sack, ya lazy mutts. Up at seven; enter coffee heaven.
Good morning! What a "dark" day...so far.
Well, by accident, I just now read the first post in this wondrous collection of spontaneous verbal art, and NOW I feel poorly
for asking my question in the previous post. "READ...and thee shall know."
I loved all that bawdy rhetoric that tied together a somewhat simplistic religious tie, and know of it well, as my daddy was once a Texas preacher, and I grew up fighting wheat field fires and dark locust clouds with wet gunnysacks not more'n forty mile from Amarillo.
So, coffee in hand, and (tired)puppy by my side, I'm ready for just about anything...so long as you have some deference for an older, somewhat febrile fellow fancier of the blade.
'mornin...from Don
Nice that you got to sleep in. I had students showing up at 7 and started motorcycle class with 8 TX popcicles at 7:30. :)

Trying to play catch up on a remodeling job :mad:
The weather is gorgeous outside. I wouldn't mind sitting in a hammock somewhere :(

Back