The Flea Market Mung Absolution Thread

I added a few more pics. Vance has nailed ironwood photography but I am still working on it!

I wonder what the current OAL and blade length is on the KPH. This one seems like a handy EDC version :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.

The KPH model used to be called the Sarge and it was made by Himalayan Imports. Kismet or Uncle Bill named it in honor of Sarge who was a contributor here and has a distinct design and life philosophy. Andy then honored Kismet by keeping the name of the designer in his product line as the Kismet Practical Hunter (Kismet himself just called it the Practical Hunter, after review I think it took the name Sarge when Kismet introduced the knife to Bill put to it into production at H.I. It has also been called the Classic/al Practical Hunter). I don't know the whole story but I believe Sarge was also an officer in the U.S. Air Force. Sarge also went by Sylvrfalcn, so we have two blades at least with a lineage along these lines.

Both the KPH and the Sylverfalcen are marked by a sharply angled crest on the spine of the knives that I call a dorsal crest. If you examine the patterns you may find Andy's dorsal crest on the new Lonestar, the Sylverfalcen, the KPH, the Forager, and the Protagonist. The models have a diverse set of purposes but share the mark.

It is worth noting that the dorsal crest does not appear on Sarge knives that predate the KPH. However, it does bear resemblance to the marked crook on the spine of a khukuri. My speculative conclusion is that this reoccurring mark on Fiddleback Forge knives is somewhat of a callback: It is intertwined with Andy's history with Sarge and both of their dealings with Bill and Yangdu Martino and the Himalayan Imports craftsmen.

Considering this, the Karda variations, the parang like qualities of the Bishop, and the Northern European qualities of the Patch, BC Puuko, Recluse, and Leuku family of knives, it is apparent that Fiddleback Forge as a brand honors many traditional knifemaking cultures while retaining its unique American heritage.

Post #4 here discusses the Sarge pattern at H.I:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-Kismet-Sarge-Blackjack?p=3159789#post3159789

Here is a thread about the KPH by Andy in 08/2010. This particular knife precedes this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/767656-Fiddleback-KPH

A good quote confirming some points in my review:

BTW, guys you can't imagine the influence ole Sarge had on me. Started me making little projects. Using my hands. Got my mind off of things plaguing it. Turned me around, and got me headed in the right direction. And on top of that taught me to make knives. Sarge, Kismet, and the old gang from HI are where and how this Fiddleback thing got started.

Here is the KPH with metal bolster that was made for Kismet. This has to be the first or one of the first in the lineage:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...er-has-arrived-All-Hail-the-Practical-Hunter-!!!

And here is the very first Sarge/KPH before the Fiddleback magic was applied: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/302082-OT-Kismet-s-quot-Practical-Hunter-quot

Kismet's letter to Bill (Rest in Peace), with addendum:

This is the first email I sent Bill Martino a few weeks ago.

Bill,
I know you have a full plate, but I've been working on a blade design for
HI's product line. A lot of folks WANT a regular hunting knife from HI, but
the closest we come to it is the JKM, which is very similar to other pukkos
or a Bilton.

This design (attached, I hope) is one I've worked out for all North American
Game, a do-it-all hunting knife. I call it "Sarge" in honor of Sylvrfcln,
but...also because the sargent is the heart of most services. The design
comes from years of practical experience, butchering AND processing game animals.

The blade is 3 and 3/4 inches long. At the widest spot (from the bend) it is
one inch. At the most narrow (near the hilt) it is 7/8ths of an inch.
Overall, about 7 1/2 inches. It is about 1/4 inch thick on the spine.

It has THREE bevels: 1. the false edge, designed to fit in bone joints to
sever tendons and ligaments. The false edge is not sharpened.

2. the blade from the bend to the tip has a continuous bevel back to the
main blade thickness. It is designed to aid in penetrating the bone joints
and sever tendons/ligaments, as well as pierce hide and flesh.

3. the third bevel is the blade from the bend back to the hilt. This is the
slicing blade, and is thinner than the other two.

I made this knife from an Arcade file, found in a farmer's field during one
of my walks. It must be 60 years old. The hilt is the top of an old spoon!

The handle is the last piece of antler I had left after sending you and Sarge
my whitetail supplies. It's not very well done, but I really don't have much
craft talent.

Kis

One last note:

Sylvrfalcn said:
...I'm kind of tickled that the KPH/Sarge knife is not a regularly stocked item, means it takes a bit of effort, not just money, to get your hands on one. That keeps 'em kind of special, and I know I appreciate mine all the more because of it.

Sarge

Last edited:
Jarrett, your contribution to this forum is well appreciated.
Thanks for drumming up the information about the KPH. It's always neat to hear about the backstory of specific models.

That's some great reading about this blade and its origins. Andy's skills and love for this work really shows up in the story line. I feel pretty lucky to have one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7d4f59e39da417bce218946fbbd8da0b.jpg

5a55059c6ecc0853220492c31fa06f2b.jpg

Oh, my. :eek:

-- Panthera Tigris, thank you for the rich backstory on the KPH and others. :thumbup:

Whereof the Gambler?

Mistwalker's picture:

Forager_Protagonist_Rapscallion_Gambler_Sylverfalcen.jpg

~ P.

Thank you, Pertinux. My catalog of knives with the dorsal crest was incomplete!

Re: esquire. FAT OD canvas liners :applause:

Can't believe the Fleamarket has reached page 600 already! Wow...

I'm not sure if it's sold yet, but there's a purple Patch on the flea market from a month or so back that is calling out to me. I need an EDC and this could be it, but I'm having the darndest time deciding which blade shape is best for my humdrum civilian life – length, height, stock, traditional shape or more unfamiliar. Being relatively new to the knife addiction, I haven't figured out my preferences yet, and there are just too many choices out there for this to be easy. How on earth do y'all decide on which knife will be your next? AND... I have limited disposable income. You guys have a million knives in your collections? Does the FF delivery guy drive around w/ his tailgate open?

Ok, I'm done. Phew.

I'm not sure if it's sold yet, but there's a purple Patch on the flea market from a month or so back that is calling out to me. I need an EDC and this could be it, but I'm having the darndest time deciding which blade shape is best for my humdrum civilian life – length, height, stock, traditional shape or more unfamiliar. Being relatively new to the knife addiction, I haven't figured out my preferences yet, and there are just too many choices out there for this to be easy. How on earth do y'all decide on which knife will be your next? AND... I have limited disposable income. You guys have a million knives in your collections? Does the FF delivery guy drive around w/ his tailgate open?

Ok, I'm done. Phew.

Still have the Patch and a nice matching Palmer to go along with it. Prices are $215 for Palmer and $275 for Patch but I'd do $450 for both. :D
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...iddleback-Flea-Market?p=16957403#post16957403

How do you decide what is next?? Buy and check out, read others' thoughts/reviews, visit the shop or Blade if possible. This was a few months back and the landscape has changed quite a bit ..

MaxedOut-vi.jpg

Ok, I'm done. Phew.

I got lucky and had several awesome dudes offer to send me a bunch of knives to check out.

Otherwise I go completely by visual appeal, comparisons posted here, and reviews.

That all said, the Patch is a sweet model. :thumbup:

I used the trial and error aka catch and release method when I first got started. Many of the longtime members have written great posts both informative and tantalizing. Every so often I get a PM asking me if I'm interested in a blade based on my posts. Hence my collection [ mind you I never set out to collect] had grown considerably. You're in the right place to learn and begin acquiring a few good blades! If you get one and it doesn't suit you post it in the flea market and continue on learning and making friends here. You'll find the level of integrity here is like no where else. Absolute!

Ok, I'm done. Phew.

others are correct here Mike. it's trial and error. you have to get as many knives in your hand as possible. i would say if you find fiddlebacks on the secondary market (a la flea market), you can try them, and if you don't like them, you are not going to take a big financial hit.

personally for an EDC, i do not like a recluse flavor blade shape. i do not need that much belly on an edc. but, that's just me.

good luck in your quest. and, have fun!

Uuuuuuugh, these are some nice ones! My favorite is the Sneaky
Sometimes it is wise to just ride the current my friend ;)

I probably will be packing these back up with the present climate, but I'll keep hope there are still some Shadetree fanatics out there.

Back