The Game of Mafia: Giveaway/Contest

Hey Bladeforums! I want to start by saying I'm happy to have found this forum, seems like a lot of kind-hearted and down to earth people around and I'm happy to be a part of it. I've had a Becker BK9 for a while now and haven't really found any use for it in my day to day so I thought I'd do a Giveaway/Contest inspired by the kindness I've seen in other members on here. I also thought it would be really fun to play a game and give it to the winner so without further adieu..

The game is Mafia. If you haven't heard of Mafia; it involves deception, bluffing, social bonding, manipulation and insight into human nature, and requires nothing more than a commitment to post daily and the ability to send PM's and Email.

Rules:

I will be the moderator of the game. The game will be open to a maximum of 20 players excluding myself (open to US only, unless you're willing to pay shipping costs etc.), the players will be divided into 4 categories: 15 Townspeople, 2 Mafia, 1 Guardian Angel, and 2 Detectives. The goal of the Townsmen, Guardian Angels and Detectives is to root out the Mafia; the goal of the Mafia is to kill off everyone else before being killed themselves.

The game is played in a series of rounds, where each round is comprised of 2 phases: a night phase & day phase. During the night Mafia consult each other and decide who they want to kill, sending this information to me. The Guardian Angel chooses one person to save from a Mafia hit by messaging me with their decision, this can include saving themselves. Finally, the Detectives pick one person after consultation for investigation as to their status; querying me via Email will let them know whether the person they selected is Mafia or a regular Townsman (which includes being a Guardian Angel or Detective). When all this is complete, the next day dawns.

During the day, the happenings of last night are let known: who was killed if anyone. The members of the town (including the undercover Mafia) then assemble at a town meeting to vote on who might be Mafia: in other words, free posting in this thread commences. Anyone can nominate anyone else by explicitly saying "I nominate ______" and giving their reason for suspecting that said person is Mafia, all in one post. Once a reason for nomination and a second have been made, the accused may give a defense consisting of a single post. Following this the town as a whole must vote on whether or not to lynch the accused by posting either "Yea" or "Nay": in the case of the majority being in favor of lynching the accused is hanged and his or her identity is divulged to the public. Once you're dead, you may no longer talk to others by posting in the thread or messaging people who are still alive and playing (about the game of course)! Obviously there is no way to enforce this but for the enjoyment of all involved please refrain from doing so.

If the first nomination proposed has been successful and a townsperson has been lynched, night falls and a new round begins. If either a tie is reached or only a minority supports the lynching, the nomination has failed and conversation in the thread may begin again until another nomination is made. This can be the same person who was nominated before; it doesn't matter. Also, a majority vote can be given to let night fall even if no one has been lynched yet.

The game is won by the Townspeople if they successfully lynch all member of the Mafia; the game is won by the Mafia if at least one of their party survives until the end of the game.

Once we have 20 players ready (a minimum of 12 otherwise if no interest I'll just give it away randomly) and I've gathered all of your email addresses (as that will be my primary method of contact); roles will be assigned and the game will begin shortly after. The last person standing wins the knife. In the event that multiple people are still alive a number will be assigned based on your order of joining the game and winner will be chosen at random.

If you're interested in joining, please post in this thread with an "I'm in". Ideally I'll be able to log on to the forum at least twice a day; we will try to have one Night & one Day comprising one round in total per each IRL day.

View attachment 665728

The Players:

This sounds like it could be fun, provided everyone is able to keep up their participation. Sure, I'm in.

Alright well doesn't seem to be much interest so I'll keep it open for another day or so and see what happens :)

I am intrigued, count me in. I would like to see how mafia could be played over the internet.

Ok well we've only got 6 players ::sadface:: so in all fairness I'll give it 24 more hours, if by 9p EST tomorrow we don't have the 12 players needed I'll do the giveaway ::happyface::

And the winner via random number generation was #6 to join, congrats HalJordon please pm me your shipping information within 24hrs or another winner will be chosen, thanks to all who participated :)

And the winner via random number generation was #6 to join, congrats HalJordon please pm me your shipping information within 24hrs or another winner will be chosen, thanks to all who participated :)

Hell yeah!!!! PM sent. Sorry the game didn't have enough participation and thanks for the giveaway.

Sorry the game didn't work, but thanks for a GAW. Congrats HalJordan!

Back