The "Gaucho" Knife

Pàdruig

Reap What You Sow
Platinum Member
After John's thread the other day where he had done some polling, I was struck with the question, "What would I love to see John tackle at some point in the future?". Though my mind ran through a small number of ideas, I didn't have to think too long and hard on this before I had the proverbial "Eureka" moment.

John, aside from being a stand up dude and a pleasure to communicate and banter with, is a fella who shares a lot of similar interests to my own. As such, his knives fill that certain niche that doesn't get met by other makers - functional tools, dressed up in innovative and sturdy leather, that can invoke both the romance and grit of the Old West in many respects or perhaps just hearken back to a simpler time. Purposeful design, immaculate attention to detail, and a love for that Old Timey shit - with just enough of a modern spin to keep us all guessing (and hooked!).

I digress a bit. I love cowboy stuff and I love the knives that one can associate with "cowboys" - bowies come immediately to mind when we think about the Old West but there are some that are equally as iconic, especially if one were to direct their gaze south. We don't have to look too far before we alight upon the "Gauchos", those skilled Argentinian (and beyond) cowboys that are as ingrained in South American culture as our Old West cowboys are up here.

The Gauchos had some pretty iconic equipment and none more celebrated than their Facón - which historically served as not only an effective weapon but was also their eating knife. Historical examples range from the deeply and gaudily elaborate to the more simple. Also, one of the reasons that I thought this might appeal to John in the future is that the sheaths are a pretty unique affair from a leatherworking perspective - sash style, with a sweat guard on the back and a sturdy flap on the front to catch on the "sash".

Before I share some pictures, here is a neat essay that I came across with some great pictures of the more elaborate types - A Short Essay About Gaucho Knives: Facón, Daga, Cuchilla and Puñal

The essay linked above has some excellent pictures of antiques.

Here are a couple "in action"

Br358gK.jpg

J9HXhjB.jpg

Here are a couple from some modern makers.

otanMik.jpg

4kbdEev.jpg

I'll add more pics and thoughts as I come across them. If nothing else, I'm curious if this is something John might be interested in having percolating in the back room for a spell - I imagine he could come up with something pretty special if he finds it interesting.

Last edited:
I’ve mentioned before that I live in a bit of a tourist town. There are blocks of ice cream parlors, candy shops, little boutiques, antique and retail shops, yoga studios and gift shops.

The bad part of tourist towns is there is a lot of turnover with businesses. Everyone’s great idea to open a Himalayan salt lamp store or toddler exercise clothing store doesn’t always pan out.

One such store was a shop that sold items imported from Argentina. Blankets, hats, home decor, hand made items.

I like to support local businesses when I can and they had a small display of knives so I bought one. As knife knuts we’re obligated to try every possible type, right?

Unfortunately that store failed as well.

pDPjlTf.jpg

EhYlzcP.jpg

That's a nice knife Chris. I notice most Gaucho knives have integral bolsters, I'd love to tackle one of those.

Good to see some love on that Serrano Chris, mine is with me daily.

I love the look of a knife that has some straight edge leading into a forward belly like a Sodbuster or the Corsair. To me, it's one of the most beautiful blade shapes out there.

In use, I find a full length belly far more useful. My long term, 100,000 mile EDC is a Spyderco Centofante III and goes against everything that my brain thinks is ideal.

s-l500.jpg

The Serrano is much the same. The handle is gorgeous but (no offense) the blade isn't my idea of sexy... until I use it. Then holy hell.

It's strange. It's like I have a thing for brunettes but only blondes can satisfy me or I have a taste for tacos but lasagna is what soothes me. 😁

I'm with you on that Chris, one thing I don't like about our Serranos is the point is a little too high for piercing jobs. Stabbing and dragging through the top of a taped box for examole is awkward. I wish I would have dropped the tip a tiny bit.

What I like about the Gaucho you posted Chris and the one I posted above it is that the last third or so has an almost spear point to it. The spine curves down to the point insteas of staying straight. It's sleek but still has a bit of belly.

Been doing a bit of digging and stumbled across a short video from Matt Eastons 'Scholagladiatoria' channel. If you're not familiar he has great videos on the historical use of swords, knives and weapons through the ages. Some of them can be very dry but many are interesting. He did a good one on Tomahawk history not long ago that was actually pretty fascinating.

I'm exploring the idea of attempting to forge an integral bolster. I've got some 3/4" mild steel round stock on order to practice with. I also found a source for 52100 round stock in one foot lengths as well.

Been doing a bit of digging and stumbled across a short video from Matt Eastons 'Scholagladiatoria' channel. If you're not familiar he has great videos on the historical use of swords, knives and weapons through the ages. Some of them can be very dry but many are interesting. He did a good one on Tomahawk history not long ago that was actually pretty fascinating.

I'm exploring the idea of attempting to forge an integral bolster. I've got some 3/4" mild steel round stock on order to practice with. I also found a source for 52100 round stock in one foot lengths as well.

That was a nice concise video of the knife - I'll definitely check out some of his other content.

I like the idea of an integral bolster. Some of the fine makers that are here on BF from South America have displayed some very nice knives that exhibit that feature.

There isn't a whole lot that separates a "gaucho" from what many of us might deem a "kitchen" or "carving" knife - it might be interesting to see what one could do to highlight some of the distinctions.

(A couple of pics that have been pulled off the webs.)

C63rzLr.jpg

sO9DKwh.jpg

You might find this video as interesting as I did. I wasn't aware of the actual history of tomahawks, to be honest I thought their use was exaggerated by Hollywood. His historical accounts tell a different fascinating story that I was completely oblivious to.

The integral bolster is going to be challenging but the sheath style is what has me concerned mostly. Not sure I can do one like that justice.

The integral bolster is going to be challenging but the sheath style is what has me concerned mostly. Not sure I can do one like that justice.

The leatherwork is one of the main points that I thought might intrigue you some, if not completely reel you in 😁.

The leatherwork is one of the main points that I thought might intrigue you some, if not completely reel you in 😁.
Ha, you know me too well. When I saw that style I was trying to reverse engineer how everything worked, especially the belt hook. It will definitely be an interesting challenge!

If you're concerned about complicated leatherwork, consider that one very popular method of handle and sheath construction requires intricately woven rawhide (at least that's what a former gaucho told me).

EA-CI6114-1712-ZigZagBraided-RearView.jpg

I really hope you take on a gaucho project, it would be a fun work-in-progress to follow.

Back in the shop next week, I have a few round bars of mild steel and a few of 52100 waiting for me to tackle an integral. Gonna do my damndest to pull it off, cross your fingers.

Any update in the gaucho knife project or integral bolster idea? I know you are recovering from a trip, saw the nap on the pillow. ;)

As soon as I get some time to fire up the forge I'm gonna see what kind of damage I can do. I've got a plan in my head to pinch out the bolster and it works with clay but 3/4" 52100 is gonna be a different story! Plan B is to grind in the bolster plunges with a small wheel mounted on the 2x72 and forge out the blade but I'm hoping not to have to go that route, that's cheatin and I'm too stubborn for that.

Stumbling across this thread took me on a trip down memory lane. I spent the better part of 5 years living and working in rural Chilean Patagonia, never far from the Argentinean border, and with frequent trips back and forth. The gaucho culture is indeed facsinating, and still being practiced in many places scarcely different than it was 100 years ago. I spent time in some villages that were several days ride on horseback from the nearest road, and it truly was like stepping back in time. You never see a gaucho without his knife, ever. It's the tool that is used for so many things throughout the day.

If you haven't come across it, I'd highly recommend tracking down a copy of "The Last Cowboys at the End of the World." A great book with lots of good pictures depicting the gaucho lifestyle:

iu

It's also fascinating to see all of the variations in style, embellishment, etc of gaucho knives. As with many things Chilean vs Argentine, the former tend to carry very simple, barely-adorned working knives, if adorned at all, while the latter tend more toward the fancy and elaborate.

Raul, a gaucho from the Rio Baker area, whom I worked with at one point providing logistics for a backcountry trip we were doing:

It3Ut7.jpg

This is a puñal that I purchased close to 20 years ago from a knifemaker in El Bolson, Argentina. Simple, but solidly made and has served me well all this time, and still going strong. It takes a fine edge and is still my go-to steak knife. ;)

HWftYE.jpg

gaucho3.jpg

gaucho5.jpg

I hope we see a Redmeadow 'Gaucho' model some day!

Last edited:
Back