The Gurkha Workout

Recently I added "dands" and "bethaks" to my daily morning workout, after reading an online book about the training and conditioning of Hindu wrestlers. I'm wondering what sort of "vyayam" (calisthenics or physical conditioning) Gurkhas do to keep in fighting shape?

There are very few roads in Nepal.

I noticed few if any switchbacks on trails in Nepal. Mostly, they go up.

When my son interviewed Yangdu for his report on Nepal, she told him that as a child she walked 3 hours to school in the morning, and three hours back at night. She didn't say, but I'll bet that wasn't on a flat trail.

Most things that get back in the hills get carried there.

I think these type of conditions account for the initial condition of Gorkha recruits. I don't know if they do exercises once they're in. I'll bet Sonam can tell us.

People outside the Kathmandu Valley in Nepal stay in condition due to what Howard mentioned. Walking considerable distances along very rigorous trails, often carrying loads ranging up to 80 or 90 pounds tends to keep the body in fairly good condition.

At 70 years of age Kami Sherpa can walk 8 hours per day on very demanding trails. I can't last 30 minutes.

From what I hear Gorkhas maintain a fairly rigorous physical regimen. Specific exercise techniques I don't know.

------------------
Blessings from the computer shack in Reno.

Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ

Hi Khazar Kid!
Recently I added "dands" and "bethaks" to my daily morning workout, after reading an online book about the training and conditioning of Hindu wrestlers.

Feel free to post the URL here...
smile.gif

BTW, carrying loads is one of the best exercises for general (martial) fitness - way better than lifting weights!

Best wishes,
kai

I don't know if this is true, can anyone enlighten me?

A friend was telling me...

"They certainly have a good training program. To qualify I believe
one must run uphill for forty-five minutes with 50 pounds of weight.
Yikes!"

Darren

You are correct, Bill. I read about it a couple of years ago. They have to carry 70 or 75 lbs. Infamous indeed.

Bob

Back