The HEST folder. (production model)

Love this customer service. Thanks!

Customer service for HEST folder and all DPX products is not under my control.
For any informations you can ask to: customservice@dpxgear.com

In any case all the next HEST folding knives will have all the changings... so... yes they will be the second generation of the knife.

I've been trying to stay away from bladeforums for a while because it makes me spend too much money. I had a bit of extra cash though, so I decided to get a Hest/F. After I ordered it, I started looking around and seeing all of the issues people are having, not to mention the ESEE/DPX split. Don't know what happened, don't really care. After a few days of worrying that I might've gotten a lemon, it arrived today and has passed my initial inspection. I have no idea if this is a first or second run. It feels like a well made heavy duty folder to me. Blade snicks out really quick and locks up like a bank vault with almost 3/4 of the lockbar mating the blade ramp. No play vertically or horizontally and is perfectly centered when closed. The ball detent seems pretty strong (a lot stronger than most of my Emerson's) although I could probably flick it open with my wrist if I really tried... would take several tries though. I love that the blade is almost all belly. The fact that the bottle opener (which is awesome by itself) doubles as a wave was an unexpected bonus for me. I typically only carry waved blades anymore.

I do have a few minor gripes though. For a knife in this price range and style, I expected a serial # on the blade. I thought I saw somewhere that the warranty was only good for the initial registered owner? I didn't get a registration card either, so if there is ever a problem, hopefully DPX will fix it anyway. I'm not really a fan of the pocket clip... it seems really bulky, at least compared to an Emerson clip. That doesn't matter much though because I usually carry without the pocket clip in the little front pocket of my jeans... no need to advertise, but there in a flash! The blade isn't hair shaving sharp out of the box, but that will be easily remedied with my Edge Pro! Couldn't they have used bronze phosphor washers instead of nylon? My last complaint is the stupid writing "lock" with the arrow on the rotoblock. Really?!

A couple of complaints I read about from others but don't really bother me are that this knife has some really close tolerances as far as the blade goes when it's closed. The tip on mine is just barely recessed in the handle, but isn't visible. Also, the edge of the blade is super close to the edge of the liners on the lower portion. I can feel it with my thumb if I press down. I don't really worry about cutting myself with it, but it feels like it has a potential for becoming dulled more easily. The other complaint I heard was about the deep relief cut on the lock bar. It is pretty deep, but I compared it to an Emerson liner and it looks like it's at least the same thickness. Feels sturdy enough for me!

All in all, I'm very happy with this knife and I think it's going to see a lot of carry time. I don't typically go for black blades (with the exception of my ESEE knives) but I loved the blade shape and everything else about this that I might just end up scrubbing the coating off instead.

Hopefully DPX will get the kinks worked out because I think this is a pretty darn good pocket knife! Sorry to hear about all of you guys getting lemons. I'm loving mine!

I thought I saw somewhere that the warranty was only good for the initial registered owner? I didn't get a registration card....

I haven't heard anything to indicate that DPx will only warranty the knives to the original purchaser. RYP has been very vocal about the fact that he will stand behind the product no matter what.

The "First Run" knives have serial numbers and a registration card... not that it makes any difference.

I, too, am very happy with mine.

Obviously, the HEST folder 2.0 availablility has been delayed...Blade 2011 has definitely come and gone. Any updates on production and/or release dates?

Obviously, the HEST folder 2.0 availablility has been delayed...Blade 2011 has definitely come and gone. Any updates on production and/or release dates?

I went to the DPX booth and Lion Steel booth at the Blade show and I was told that the updated HEST/F should be hitting the dealers in July/August time frame.

I seen the updated proto and the changes were not as much belly on the blade (barely noticable), the tip sits perfect when closed, the clip doesn't have any lanyard holes, and you cannot touch blade through spine when closed. There will also be black G10 handles.

The big belly is one of the things I love most about the HEST. I'd rather have it close to the spine....

I went to the DPX booth and Lion Steel booth at the Blade show and I was told that the updated HEST/F should be hitting the dealers in July/August time frame.

I seen the updated proto and the changes were not as much belly on the blade (barely noticable), the tip sits perfect when closed, the clip doesn't have any lanyard holes, and you cannot touch blade through spine when closed. There will also be black G10 handles.

Thank you for the info, it's much appreciated.

no it dosn't, on the other hand its a pain in the ass to have to engage a second lock all the time. Both of my hest/f's needed adjustment, on le model for the tip stickin up enough to grab your finger, and after a month or two of pretty hard farm use the locks started slipping. Now when I cut a bale of hay open and the tip snags in some hay pullin the knife back I don't expect that to close the knife on my fingers! More tweeking and I have that solved, I've used both hard now for months and like them alot, but damn thats frustrating to have issues with a knife. I do think the lock is cut too steeply and I don't think the answer is to just rough up the blade side of the lock, it needs to have some better geometry to the fit.

cricket

The second run have a lot of changing. Here are all of them:

- We have moved the position of the blade pivot.
- We have moved the position of the touching point between blade and locking bar. In the first run this point was 5.8 mm far from the blade pivot the second run is 6.7mm. In this way we have reduced the moment, less power from the blade to locking bar.
- We have made the locking bar longer. We have reduced thrust angle on the frame from 42° to 37.9 °. In this way we have less twisting of the locking bar.
- We have changed the angle in the heel of the blade. The old one was 11°, the new one is round
- The thumbstud is 14.3 mm away from the blade pivot, the old one was 13.5 mm. In this way it is easier open the Blade
- The bottom of the handle is larger, so no problem with tips out of handle in close position.
- we have moved the position of the blade pivot. You can not touch the edge with the finger when the blade is closed. There is more space from the edge and the back of the knife.
- The spacer is longer, in this way we have a more solid knife
- There is more space on the G10 handle for the finger to unlock the locking bar
- The clip do not have the two holes, it is stronger
- We have removed the stainless steel liner
- The g-10 is 4.2 mm, the old one was 3.2 mm

Sounds like some good changes and I'll definitely be picking up an updated version to go with my current one, but any real idea on when these will hit the U.S.?

Back