The HI Cantina Cookbook

Howard Wallace

We should have a HI cookbook thread. Then we know where to look to find the recipes. I combed the archives and came up with some of the classics that were posted in the past. Please post your own recipes. Recipes that mean something special to you. If you find something good I missed in the archives please post it here too.

Yvsa said:
Green Chile

Thought everyone might enjoy this now that it is getting cooler. The recipe was given to us by a Yaqui man that reallly knew how to Cook.
Ingredients:

3-4 lbs Boston butt or Pork shoulder roast cut into small pieces ( about 1" )

2 Tblspns Seasoned salt (you might want to cut back on this.We do.The chicken broth is salty.

3 Tblspns Cumin

3 Tblspns Galic powder.

1 Green pepper.

2 bunches green onions.

10 to 12 or 1 lb. of Jalepeno or your choice of hot peppers. ( or to your preference.) We use
1/2 lb.

6 Large or more ( I like more ) Tomatillos. The little green tomatoes with husks.:)

1 ea. 32oz. can of chicken broth.( I like the Swansons )

1/3rd cup of flour & 1/3 cup of corn meal. ( I like to use more corn meal than flour. ) and water to mix.

Have skins removed from tomatiios and have everything cut into small pieces.

In a LARGE pan ( We use a stock pot ) lightly brown meat in a small amount of oil. Put in salt, cumin and garlic pwder. Add chicken broth. Cook until almost tender. Add all other ingredients except flour and corn meal. Simmer until done. You may have to add water or more chicken broth if desired. When done mix flour and corn meal and water like thickening for gravy. Pour in slowly stirring to keep from making it lumpy.
Enjoy.

Cornbread

Ingredients.

1 cup all pupose flour.

3/4 cup cornmeal.

2 teaspoons baking powder.

3/4 teaspoon salt.

1 egg beaten.

3/4 cup milk.

1/4 cup butter or margarine,melted.

Mix first 5 ingredients.Add egg,milk and butter.Stir until blended. ( Do not overmix.) Spread into greased pan ( 8 X 8 X 2 inches.) and bake in preheated hot oven ( 425*) for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly brown.

Double everything for twice as much for cornbread and milk later.

Enjoy.

Rusty said:
HANGOVER SOUP ( aka sauerkraut soup )

Don't let the name put you off. Hungarians came up with this to eat before going home after a night out drinking. And after waking up the next morning.It may sound like it shouldn't, but everything melds together, tasting good even to a queasy stomach and settles it down. It's good for the morning after the night before, for breakfast on a freezing morning, or lunch or dinner.

3 cups sauerkraut, drained, juice reserved.
1 pound bacon, strips sliced every 1".
1 & 1/2 pounds kolbase/kielbasa sliced.
2 large onions, diced about size of sausage.
1 pint sour cream.
1 heaping Tablespoon hot paprika, or 3 or 4 Tablespoons of noble rose paprika to taste.
Reserved sauerkraut juice and water to make 10 cups.

optional:
Liquid Smoke seasoning, to taste.
Salt, if desired.
Garlic couldn't hurt.

In large ( 6 quart ) size pot or stockpot,

Brown and separate bacon slices til done, remove bacon and drain.

Reserve and return to pot 3 Tablespoons bacon grease. Add onions and cook til translucent.

Add sauerkraut and liquid. Cook at simmer for 30 minutes, then add sausage (edit correction) AND BACON, cook five minutes.

Put sour cream in a large mixing bowl, stir in paprika and flour til blended. Reduce heat, and then slowly stir one to two cups of soup into the sour cream mixture. Making sure the soup does not boil, return the sour cream and soup mixture into the soup and continue to heat gently until soup has thickened ( about 5+ minutes ). Adjust seasoning - add 1/4 teaspoon or more of liquid smoke, and/or salt, pepper.

If cooled overnight and then reheated, sauerkraut flavor will become stronger. Allowing the soup to boil at any time after sour cream is added will cause soup to curdle.

Variations may include deleting bacon, substituting other types of sausage, etc.

Andre Simpson said:
Aussie Damper. (This is the recipe as I was taught, with the amounts as accurate as I could make them)

1. 2-3 handfulls plain flour, or SR flour, or cornflour, whatever is handy.

2. Enough water, milk or beer to make a firm dough.

3. - optional- anything else that might taste good can be thrown in, raisins are popular, the result being known as "Spotted Dog"

4. Wrap dough in Aluminium foil and cook in the embers of a campfire. - Alternative: wrap around stick and cook in over campfire, marshmallow style.

Walosi said:
Dip

2 - 8oz. Philly Cream Cheese blocks

10 TBS Milk

1 tsp garlic paste

2 tsp worcestershire sauce

4 TBS Salad Dssing

12 tsp lemon juice

1 tsp paprika

4 tsp mustard

4 tsp horseradish

1/4 tsp salt

Cut up cream cheese into bowl, add milk and other ingredients and beat with hand mixer (on SLOW) until thick. Put in fridge for 30 - 40 min. to set up.
Good party dip - not for the faint of heart, nor those who don't like to stay up late nights. Good with any kind of chip, but better with the hard corn varieties.

Mccld778 said:
For me the soul soothing happens when I eat Mom's Pork and sauerkraut.
It's a really simple recipe that she made because it was easy, but NOTHING else reminds me of home and family more. Use whatever sauerkraut you'd like ( bagged, canned , or fresh) but you stew that in it's own juices with one sliced apple, one sliced onion, and one can of beer (your choice but use something light) per two pounds of the kraut. The apple, onion, and beer are added to cut the acidity of the kraut.
Get this boiling in a "large" stew pot because you're going to put your pork roast in there with it. Reduce heat to med- med.high. Season the roast to taste, place in the pot, cover and cook as long as the meat requires. When the meats falling off the bone ( I prefer a bone-in roast for flavor) shred the pork and mix into the sauerkraut.
Reduce heat to low/warm. Then break out the good 'ol bisquick and mix up some dumpling batter as described on the box and drop by big spoonfuls onto the pork/kraut mixture. You can usually take it off the heat now. Put a lid on the pot and let 'em steam till nice and fluffy.
Try to control yourself from diving into the still extremely hot pot. Spoon out in large quantities, get a good pilsner, and enjoy.

Josh Feltman said:
Just thought I'd share two special recipes from my mom. They are actually meant to be served together. My mom passed away Christmas eve 2001, and I've had a really hard time dealing with it. I was quite depressed for a long while, but I'm really making an effort to focus on positive memories. Hopefully sharing these recipes will help. She was a great person, very kind and compassionate, intelligent, resourceful, and of course, a great cook. She grew up during and after WWII, and was a great proponent of the thriftiness of which munk often speaks. Nothing ever went to waste in our house.
Josh Feltman said:
The first recipe is her recipe for Sauerbraten. The text of these recipes comes from a cookbook put together by the local elementary school sometime in the early 90's:
----------------------------------------
Sauerbraten

This is my grandmother Witze's recipe for sauerbraten. It was a favorite of my dad and uncle. When I married Jack 32 years ago, he thought it was a good part of my recipe "dowry". Our son, Joshua, loves it too.

Bring to a boil about 2 cups red wine and 1 cup cider vinegar with 1 bay leaf. Pour over cheaper cut of beef (such as chuck roast), about 3 lbs., to which you have added 1 carrot, sliced, and one onion chopped, plus one clove of garlic crushed. Add 10 whole cloves, 10 whole peppercorns tied together in a square of cheese-cloth, and a couple of shakes of ginger. This should be in a glass or china bowl. Refrigerate and turn meat several times a day for 3 or 4 days. Heat a little duck fat (or cooking oil) in a heavy Dutch Oven. Reserved marinade. Dry meat on paper towels. Brown meat on both sides. Add marinade and vegetables and 2 cups water and simmer, covered, turning meat once after an hour. Cook several hours, 3 or 4, until tender. Add a little water if necessary to make enough liquid for gravy. Thicken gravy with crushed Gingersnaps or cornstarch. Discard spice bag and bay leaf. Serve with spaetzle.

Spaetzle

Ingredients:
2 cups flour (unsifted)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
Enough water to make a stiff
batter, 1/3 to 1/2 cup, add gradually

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, adding water gradually. With a whisk beat, and beat, and beat-the more bubbles the better. It should be like a popover batter. Press batter through colander with large holes into boiling water. (Use a rubber spatula and this will make tiny bits of batter). The tiny dumplings will float to the top when done. Remove with slotted spoon. Great with Sauerbraten Gravy. This is Jack's great grandmother's recipe.

Shelley Feltman

----------------------------------------

So, there you have it, straight from my mom to you. On a side note, this recipe also works with squirrel ( I told you my mom was thrifty ), though to be perfectly honest, I prefer it with beef.

--Josh

Josh Feltman said:
Glad to hear it. If you don't want to risk the spaetzle, you might want to try potato pancakes. I don't have my mom's recipe for those, but here's one out of the Betty Crocker cookbook, which I know she used fairly often:
Josh Feltman said:
2 lbs. potatoes (about 6 medium)
1 egg
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Wash potatoes; pare thinly and remove eyes. Shred enough potatoes to measure 4 cups. Drain potatoes thoroughly.

In small mixer bowl, beat egg until thick and lemon colored. Mix in potatoes, onion, flour and salt. Melt butter in large skillet over low heat. Shape potato mixture into 8 patties; place in skillet. Cook over medium heat, turning once, about 5 minutes or until golden brown.

Let me know how it turns out.

--Josh

This next one isn’t quoted from the forum but from a cookbook entry Red Flower and I made.

Red Flower said:
Beijing Fire Pot
Attribution: From Red Flower, who was born and spent
the first 30 years of her life in Beijing

Serves: Variable

Ingredients
Thinly sliced meat of various types (lamb, beef, chicken, pork, liver, tripe, etc.)
Seafood (slices of fish, shrimp, squid, etc.)
Sliced vegetables (bean sprouts, spinach, napa cabbage, snow peas, lettuce,
mushrooms, green onions, etc.)
Noodles or bean threads
Tofu, or tofu that has been frozen and then thawed
Sauce ingredients: Natural peanut butter flavored to taste with soy sauce,
Chinese vinegar, garlic, hot pepper, ginger, sesame oil

Preparation
Make the dipping sauce by putting roasted peanuts or natural peanut butter
in the blender. Add the other sauce ingredients to taste to create a fluid
sauce for dipping the food in.
Arrange all of the raw sliced foodstuffs on platters and bring to the table.
Put a boiling pot of water on the table. The traditional pot is arranged in a
ring around a chimney holding burning charcoal. A fondue pot, electric
skillet, or electric wok can also be used to keep the water boiling during
the meal.
Put some onions and mushrooms in the boiling water to provide some
initial flavor.
Distribute some of the dipping sauce in each guest’s bowl.
The sliced ingredients are then put, one at a time, into the boiling water.
When the morsels are cooked, the guests fish them out of the boiling water
with chopsticks or a slotted spoon. The food is then swirled in the dipping
sauce and eaten.

Tips for success or serving
Start with the more delicately flavored meats like the seafood or chicken. Each
ingredient is cooked and removed prior to adding the next one. Progress to
more highly flavored meats like beef or liver. Then try adding vegetables or
tofu. The cooking liquid gains flavor as the meal progresses. Some Beijingers
say the flavorful broth is the “soul” of the fire pot. The last ingredient is the noodles or bean threads, which will cook in the now richly flavorful broth and
serve as an end to the meal.
The fire pot experience can easily be tailored for the tastes of the guests
present. The ingredients are variable, so use ingredients your guests like.
Quantities are not given in the recipe. You keep cooking while people are
still hungry.

The fire pot is a social event. It takes time, and there is always discussion of what to add next to the pot. The fire pot provides a focus for an extended dinner with family or friends. Traditionally it is eaten with a sesame paste for a dipping sauce. Red Flower and Howard
created the peanut dipping sauce (we’ve named it Si Hua sauce) because sesame paste is somewhat hard to find in the United States.

CIMG0555a.jpg
The above picture was taken when visiting relatives in Kunming, Up above Vietnam. Our relatives in Kunming treated us to a local variant of the hot pot. It contained poisonous fungus (They said,“Don’t worry; after boiling for half an hour it becomes edible.”), a quartered leatherback turtle, and various local vegetables. It was very good when washed down with a mixture of Chinese white liquor (bai jiu) and turtle blood. You can see the little red wineglasses with the blood liquor mix. We also had bai jiu with the turtle gall. That was a pretty green color. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
We should have a HI cookbook thread. Then we know where to look to find the recipies.Originally posted by Howard Wallace

Great idea Howard :thumbup: The WWW is my recipe book these days. Can see at least one new addition to the menu here already:)

We should have a HI cookbook......>>>>> That's a good idea, even better than a thread. It would be useful, and has a better chance of being published than the book I wrote.
HI Khukuri Cook Book; Kukris and recipes for life.

munk

I like it! I have a hummus recipe that I've tweaked over the last few years, and if I do say so myself it's damn good.

My wife has some great soup recipes and others that I'll dig up....later this weekend.

That fire pot sounds great. I'll have to try it. I can vouch for Rusty's hangover soup; it's delicious. Makes me think fond thoughts of Rusty every time I make it.

Howard thanks for posting this and for including the recipe for the green chili, aka chili verde. When I saw the title I thought, "Oh No! I wonder if I still have the recipe for chili verde in my computer?" and I didn't have to worry. Lots of folks here have really enjoyed that recipe as well.:D

Grandma Wallace’s Molasses Cake

1.5 tsp baking soda
1 cup hot water
1 cup molasses
1 egg
2.75 cups flour
1 cup raisins
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Dissolve baking soda in water. Mix in other ingredients. Sprinkle some brown sugar on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

I got this recipe from my paternal grandmother. The cake is rich and dense. You can adjust the amount of flour to make it dry or gooey. I like it gooey. A piece of this energy-rich cake is good to have in your pocket when on a day hike. Lots of sugar in it though if you’re watching that.

Here is the jerky recipe I use.

Make a brine with

1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup salt
1 cup each soy sauce, teriaki sauce, wine
juice of one orange and one lemon
pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, hot pepper sauce to taste

Or a simple brine of

½ cup each sugar and salt
1 qt water

Remove the fat, and cut the meat into strips no thicker than ½ “. Cut across the grain for crumbly jerky, with the grain for chewy jerky. Soak the strips in the brine at least overnight. Then put them in a smoker or oven and dry until hard.

Hard curing of meat is not done much anymore. Jerky may be the single exception. But it still works.

A number of years ago when I had no job, my wife, infant son and I lived in an old logging camp in the forest. I shot a deer, but found that only a small portion of the meat would fit into the little freezer at the top of our refrigerator. We cut the rest of the meat into strips and slabs, some as much as 3” thick. Then we rubbed the meat down with salt. The salt draws a lot of the liquid out of the meat, and the salty solution drips off.

We strung clothesline around our wood stove, and hung the meat off the clothesline. Newspaper covered the floor to catch the drippings. We would rub more salt into the meat whenever necessary. Frequently at first, but less frequently as the meat dried and cured. The meat finally dried into hard wood-like lumps.

In order to eat the meat you pretty much had to boil the **** out of it. But it lasts a long time. In fact it never did spoil. Some boring insects got into some of it a number of years later, and drilled little holes through it, but it was still good to eat.

Electrolyte Replacement

Dr. Jane Orient's recipe

1 tsp lite salt (a mixture of NaCl and KCl)
1/3 tsp baking soda
10 tsp sugar
1 qt water

Or if you want a bigger batch

5-11 oz lite salt (a mixture of NaCl and KCl)
1 lb baking soda
25 lbs sugar
300 qt water

This is essentially a Gatorade-like drink. You can add some lemon juice for flavor. It's good for replacing fluids, like if you're sick with diarrhea and/or vomiting. Also good way to stay hydrated for when you're exercising.

Here's a basic low-carb version.
1 tsp salt (NaCl)
1 tsp lite salt (KCl)
2 liters water

This mixes up conveniently in an empty 2 l soda bottle. Does not need refrigeration. You can mix with other drinks to give them a salty flavor and provide your body with extra salts. I often mix half and half with kombucha.

Variations on the basic recipe:

- if you want some more magnesium add 1/2 tsp pharmaceutical grade Epsom Salt. (MgSO4)

- if you want a bit of sweetness without significant carbs add 1/4 tsp erythritol (a sugar alcohol) to your glass. If the erythritol has added monkfruit or stevia extract it will taste even sweeter.

- if you want additional alkalinity substitute 1 tsp baking soda (NaHCO3) for 1/2 tsp NaCl in the basic recipie. This helps me when fasting. Don't use this when you intend to mix the electrolyte solution with an acidic drink, unless you want the carbon dioxide that will be generated.

Last edited:
Errr.... Howard...turtle gall with wine I haven't tried before....

Snake gall more common here.... :)

I,m not too much up on the cooking end of things .Simple stews and buffalo burgers for me . I,m gonna have to try a couple of the recipes out . Daves burgers sound awesome . I think they would be great using angus burger. The molasses cake sounds decent as well .

I,ve been thinking of working on a buffalo tomato soup recipe . If it turns out edible I,ll post her up .

Rob's Famous Hummus

(hey don't laugh--it IS published in a cookbook!;) )

Combine all ingredients in food processor:

2 cans garbanzo beans (drained)
3-4 medium sized cloves garlic
1/3 cup sesame Tahini
Juice of 2 limes
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup green onions (scallions) chopped
1/2 Habenero pepper (remove seeds or don't if you're really into HOT!)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (the better the oil the better--want the best? get Bariani)
1 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt (or regular salt but start with a bit less and try it before adding whole amount)
1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper chopped (I often use 1/2 of 2 of them)

Grind em all up in the Quisenart and enjoy! This is GOOD Hummus!:thumbup:

Here are two:

Spaghetti Sauce (with a little kick)

2 lbs of ground chuck (mine was 96 % lean)
1 bag of frozen peppers stir fry (onions, red, yellow and green peppers)
1 pkg of sundried tomatoes (Walmart has them... probably four ounces or so... a good handful)
1.5 pkg of sliced mushrooms
minced garlic
2 tbl spoons of jalapenos
fresh basil
fresh bay leaves (4)
One huge (78 oz I think) jar of Prego (big plastic jar)
A little Frank's Hot Sauce

- Put some olive oil, mushrooms, jalapenos, and veggies in frying pan and fry up til stuff is cooked about 50% (not done... not frozen)... add Frank's Hot Sauce
- Put in ground chuck and brown
- dump mixture into a big pot and pour in Prego, bay leaves and basil
- simmer for an hour or so

Perfected 15 Bean Soup

- miced garlic
- 1 lbs (more or less) ham steak
- 2 small or 1 large hamhock
- 1 bag of 15 bean soup beans
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 package of sun dried tomoates
- 1 onion
- 2 tbl of chili powder
- dash or two of Emril's Essence
- a few shakes of Frank's Hot Sauce

Okay, here is what I did...

chop up a small onion and throw in crock pot
chuck up the ham steak and throw in the crock pot
rinse out beans and throw in crock pot
chop up sundried tomatoes and throw in crock pot
put in 2 quarts of water
put in tomatoe paste
throw in minced garlic, chili powder, Franks Hot Sauce, Essence, sun dried tomatoes, and ham hocks

Turn on high and cook for about 6-8 hours or more...

I've got one hell of a chicken stir fry (sort of) that I'm still perfecting... I'll post it when I've written everything down.

Alan

Traditional southern good-luck dish for New Year's Day. Good at other times too.

Corn Bread
No sugar or white flour in this stuff.

2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1.75 cups corn flour
1 tsp each salt, baking soda, baking powder

Mix and put into a hot, greased cast iron skillet. Bake in a preheated oven at 425 for 15 min.

Oh yeah, cut the bread with an Udhaipur or a Sirupati.

Black-eyed Peas

Boil up a hambone with some good chunks of meat attached. Add the black-eyed peas. Put in some onions and green peppers. Salt to taste. cook about 1.5 hrs after the black-eyed peas are added. Possible additions include:
Different varieties of rice, or wild rice. (I go easy on these if added)
hot peppers

Make it as wattery or as dry as you like. I like it wattery, as we serve it over the cornbread. Some like it dry. Adjust the peas/rice/water ratio to make it the way you like.

Traditionally served with cornbread and greens.

I learned about this dish Christmas of ’79, in the hills of Nepal.

• Buy a live chicken. Important because there is no refrigerator.
    n45a.jpg
    n45a.jpg
  • Stick it in the porter’s doka (pack basket) so the little fellow can be observed peeking his head out at you all day during your travels up and down the Nepalese trails.
  • At camp, decapitate him with a khukuri, and cut off his feet. Skin him and gut him. Then chop into several pieces with the khukuri, ignoring subtleties like bones, joints, etc.
  • Roast him in a covered pot over the campfire.
  • Feed to hungry hikers and watch them smile.

Last edited:
Red Flower said:
Here is a recipe I got from a Chinese cooking magazine you might be interested:

Lotus seeds & Aloe
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 40 min

Ingredient: lotus seeds 100g
Aloe 100g
Broccolli 1/2
Salt 5g
White pepper powder 1/3 teaspoon
Starch 30ml
Water 600ml
Process:
1. Take off the bitter cord from lotus seeds, clean seeds with water. Clean aloe, peel off the skin, cut it into 1x4 cm pieces, then put these pieces into a bowel with water. Wash the broccolli, and then chop it into small pieces.
2. Boil water in a pot with big fire, put seeds into boiling water, then change the fire to “small”, cook the seeds for 35 min
3. Put the broccolli and aloe into the pot, continue to cook for another 3 min with “small” fire
4. Put salt and white pepper powder, then starch, turn the fire to big, turn off the fire until the soup is boiling.
120 kcal/person

Aloe can adjust the immune system; it’s good for some chronic diseases. Also it can prevent rough skin and aging skin; lotus seeds have the function of relieving uneasiness of body and mind.

Do you want to try this dish???

Last edited:
Bill Martino said:
The following recipe is called dhal bhat kukura tarkari

bhat is cooked rice
dhal is lentil soup
kukura is chicken
tarkari is the concoction you get when everything is all mixed -- other meats or even vegetables may be substituted for the chicken
This is THE standard dish in Nepal and I got so sick of it for breakfast, lunch and dinner I refuse to eat it anymore. Others who are not burned out on it might find it quite tasty.
1 medium sized chicken chopped into bite sized pieces with a GENUINE Himalayan Import khukuri.
Warning: To use any other blade for chopping the chicken will put you at risk of being subjected to an ancient Gurkha curse. Proceed at your own risk.
Mix in a large bowl the following:
garlic -- one clove minced
fresh ginger -- two tsp minced
tumeric -- one tsp
comino -- one Tbsp ground
paprika -- " " "
hot red pepper -- to taste, ground
add the chicken to bowl, mix well, put in frige and marinade two hours
prepare the following
1/4 boiled potato and 10 cashews mashed together
one medium onion diced
one bay leaf, fresh if available
two whole cardamom pods
set aside
heat cast iron skillet or pot to high temperature --
add chicken and brown well on all sides
when brown add the ingredients you have set aside and stir well
add a half cup or so water
cook about 45 minutes -- salt to taste
serve with steamed rice (garnish with sliced lemon or lime) and your favorite lentil soup
If you used the Himalayan Imports khukuri, enjoy. If you didn't... Compliments of Yangdu

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back