The importance of backpacking

Even on day hikes I nowadays try to carry enough to survive an unplanned overnight reasonably comfortably (tent, foam pad, extra clothing/ light sleeping bag, chair etc) in case I injure myself and can’t walk out. Poles, Inreach, Gaia app on phone, headlamp, saw etc
If you carry that much stuff for a day hike... you will not be able to enjoying it much. I don't want to imagine what you will be carrying for an overnight then!

There is a fine line (and it is not the same for everyone) between carrying too much crap that weights a ton and prevents you from moving fast... and carrying so little that if you need to spend the night out it is going to become a disaster.

I always carry a space blanket (that could be upgraded to a space bag, which is the same thing but in a sleeping bag shape), hat, gloves and a puffy jacket (either down of synthetic of different weights/warmths depending on the circumstances). Apart from the regular clothing I intend to use I mean.

In the mountains, speed is safety... I learn't that the hard way in the Alps... Usually people "think" they are going light and carrying only the essentials untill they go climbing in the Mont Blanc range and realise how little the mountain guides and proficient people carry in a daily basis... The more you go out, the less you carry, no doubt.

Mikel

If you carry that much stuff for a day hike... you will not be able to enjoying it much. I don't want to imagine what you will be carrying for an overnight then!

There is a fine line (and it is not the same for everyone) between carrying too much crap that weights a ton and prevents you from moving fast... and carrying so little that if you need to spend the night out it is going to become a disaster.

I always carry a space blanket (that could be upgraded to a space bag, which is the same thing but in a sleeping bag shape), hat, gloves and a puffy jacket (either down of synthetic of different weights/warmths depending on the circumstances). Apart from the regular clothing I intend to use I mean.

In the mountains, speed is safety... I learn't that the hard way in the Alps... Usually people "think" they are going light and carrying only the essentials untill they go climbing in the Mont Blanc range and realise how little the mountain guides and proficient people carry in a daily basis... The more you go out, the less you carry, no doubt.

Mikel
Right, when I’m climbing I leave all that stuff (tent, sleeping bag etc) behind to save weight. If I’m just hiking (or backpacking), I can afford to carry the tent (2 lb 5 oz), chair (1 lb) and other stuff, total (including pack) maybe 14 lbs before water. Perhaps the woman who died in the White mountains would have survived if she had been carrying more.

Last edited:

Mikel

That’s about what I carry for a day hike. Enough to survive an uncomfortable night out. I always carry a space bag…though I’ve never had to use one. Fire stater, a light, a rain jacket, and usually light poof jacket. Depending on the hike, maybe a small tarp & some paracord.

My son got into some trouble recently and had to spend an unexpected night out, wet with essentially no gear. He had barely enough to get a fire going, which may have saved his life. He’s got a space bag now (and I sent him an InReach too. 😉)

His ordeal has me thinking about adding a Silky for my bare essentials. They weigh almost nothing, but man can they fuel a fire!

Incidentally, my wife and I had a little little encounter with hypothermia in the backcountry last July. Yup, it happens. We were on a multiday, and were aware enough to get sheltered & dry before things got really out of hand. At least in our situation, it was easier for two impaired people to get things under control than it would’ve been for either one of us to do so individually.

I used a reflective blanket once when camping inside a cave (temperature around 50 degrees F, 100% humidity) and did not feel that it helped me stay warm at all (I also had a light sleeping bag and foam pad.) Which is why I now carry a very puffy down vest, down hood, chair, poncho to cover all the above etc. A dry extra base layer to change into also makes a big difference I think. And some cashews or similar high calorie snack (I once had to stand around for several hours in the cold and found that popping a couple cashews whenever I started to get chilly helped.). Ps. One unexpected learning during this pandemic is that I lose a lot of heat from normal exhalation through my mouth, so that wearing a close fitting N95 mask over my mouth and nose makes me warmer.

Last edited:
I used a reflective blanket once when camping inside a cave (temperature around 50 degrees F, 100% humidity) and did not feel that it helped me stay warm at all (I also had a light sleeping bag and foam pad.) Which is why I now carry a very puffy down vest, down hood, chair, poncho to cover all the above etc. A dry extra base layer to change into also makes a big difference I think. And some cashews or similar high calorie snack (I once had to stand around for several hours in the cold and found that popping a couple cashews whenever I started to get chilly helped.). Ps. One unexpected learning during this pandemic is that I lose a lot of heat from normal exhalation through my mouth, so that wearing a close fitting N95 mask over my mouth and nose makes me warmer.
During coldest winter I wear shemagh or wool square scarf near my mouth so that the warm fumes from my mouth warm the face. It’s very comfy when the weather starts to go below -20celcius.

Some sketchy stories above - I’m glad everyone made it back with all their fingers and toes!

Part of my job entails searching for lost hikers.

In about 18 years I’ve been out looking dozens of times, and in all that time only ONE person had a map and a compass, (although of course he was off trail so he ended up at the edge of a cliff he couldn’t climb down). ZERO people have had adequate gear to keep them comfortable through a night.

Preparation or lack of it can cascade in a positive or negative direction very quickly, and I think the large majority of people that only intend to go on a “hike” are underprepared for an unexpected night in the woods.

I EDC a knife, mini ferro rod, and some duct tape just around town.

If I’m heading out for a solo hike, or searching for a hiker, the minimum I’m comfortable with (in a mild climate) is to add a larger chopping knife and/or saw to the small knife, ferro rod and duct tape. Now I have both fire and the ability to gather more wood and make a debris shelter much more efficiently than with just a pocket knife.

Large debris shelter construction (with a heavy emphasis on a very thick vegetation “mattress”) is the most important skill/knowledge to have in the woods imho, and it’s the first thing I’ll start making in a survival situation.

FA77AF06-AF5B-46EB-8298-B99010791DB2.jpeg

Last edited:
Some sketchy stories above - I’m glad everyone made it back with all their fingers and toes!

In about 18 years I’ve been out looking dozens of times, and in all that time only ONE person had a map and a compass, (although of course he was off trail so he ended up at the edge of a cliff he couldn’t climb down). ZERO people have had adequate gear to keep them comfortable through a night.

Preparation or lack of it can cascade in a positive or negative direction very quickly, and I think the large majority of people that only intend to go on a “hike” are underprepared for an unexpected night in the woods.

If I’m heading out for a solo hike, or searching for a hiker, the minimum I’m comfortable with (in a mild climate) is to add a larger chopping knife and/or saw to the small knife, ferro rod and duct tape. Now I have both fire and the ability to gather more wood and make a debris shelter much more efficiently than with just a pocket knife.

A large debris shelter (with a heavy emphasis on a very thick vegetation “mattress” is the most important skill/knowledge to have in the woods imho, and is the first thing I’ll start making in a survival situation.
E0C005BE-7E5F-4D0E-B9B5-829CE7C37708.jpeg
Beginnings of a debris shelter

ordeal has me thinking about adding a Silky for my bare essentials. They weigh almost nothing, but man can they fuel a fire!
I love the Silky F-180 for hiking - it’s the lightest and least expensive model. There’s not much metal in the handle so it’s presumably less durable than their other models, but perfect for the survival saw role (again in a mild climate - I’d take something bigger and some kind of waterproof membrane at least if it was colder…)

On the topic of shelters/debris mattresses, it shows why its key to plan your strategy around your location/environment. In my case, I'm more likely to be stuck somewhere due to an unexpected major rainstorm, so i'd better have a tarp or other easy shelter, or snakebite, which means no movement, and so any shelter has to be reasonably effective with very little effort. When I walked in the Rockies, different conditions, and in general a different set of needs/concerns. For example, I thought I knew cold living in the prairies, but until I lived down here I'd never experienced 5C at 100% humidity, and that is a different beast. So there really is no one rule set. I'll say that while I agree that a map and compass are a good thing, if it's your only survival tool, it leaves a lot of possibilities unaccounted for.

On the topic of shelters/debris mattresses, it shows why its key to plan your strategy around your location/environment. In my case, I'm more likely to be stuck somewhere due to an unexpected major rainstorm, so i'd better have a tarp or other easy shelter, or snakebite, which means no movement, and so any shelter has to be reasonably effective with very little effort. When I walked in the Rockies, different conditions, and in general a different set of needs/concerns. For example, I thought I knew cold living in the prairies, but until I lived down here I'd never experienced 5C at 100% humidity, and that is a different beast. So there really is no one rule set. I'll say that while I agree that a map and compass are a good thing, if it's your only survival tool, it leaves a lot of possibilities unaccounted for.
One environmental consideration is whether there are trees around to tie a tarp to or to provide material for shelter construction, or whether the ground is soft enough to accept stakes, or whether the shelter needs to be self standing.

Another question is whether one is less likely to be bothered by animals (bears, mountain lions etc) when inside a tent than when lying or sitting on the ground wrapped up in a tarp or bag.

On a separate note, I got a down blanket, which has less down and is therefore cheaper and more compact than a down sleeping bag, and plan to sew a #10 ykk separating zipper on opposite edges so I can zip it into a bag. Not as warm as a true sleeping bag but maybe sufficient to take the edge off in an unplanned overnight.

Last edited:
ok guys, here's a life hack i discovered back in 2012 when i lived close to the arctic circle...i would spend many days and nights outside in really cold weather and this discovery was a game changer...

i present to you the mighty KIDNEY WARMER:

il_340x270.2522789087_92p7.jpg

Buy one made from angora or merino wool, for extra heat, put in two handwarmers, front and back...this will keep you toasty and weighs next to nothing.

My parents took us tent camping in State Parks as long as I can remember. I have baby memories from camping in VT. On winter break, we skipped Disney, and hit the National Seashore on Cape Cod to go seal hunting. We'd hike a couple miles out through snow and sand to watch the little black bobbing dots, or to bunk style cabins in the woods of NH. They took us everywhere they could afford, and made sure there was a history or nature lesson along the way. When I was 11 or 12, I started spending 6 weeks of the summer in Maine. Sailing, hiking, canoeing at a summer camp. Started doing overnight camping and canoeing trips at that point and just became happier outside than in. I got to go on a 7 day trip to Katahdin with kids from my 7th grade science class, lead by our science teacher. I had my oldest son when I was 18 and had him hiking as soon as he could walk. In High School I took him for 9 days in Baxter State Park. We have had some scary cold nights in the Whites, where we slept fully clothed with our boots on, and at a point I considered having him get in my sleeping bag for the extra warmth.

I know for a fact that backpacking with him has given him some self confidence and character. I have watched him overcome fear out on the trail and learn to trust in a plan and equipment, rather than panic and quit.

I love backpacking. I love sharing it with him. Nothing beats getting back in the car and hitting that fast food joint. I usually have a natural high for weeks after a week in the wilderness.

My younger son doesnt like camping..

View attachment 2019565

View attachment 2019566View attachment 2019573View attachment 2019578View attachment 2019588

My first backpacking trip was when I was 11, in the Adirondacks in New York. For the last 21 years I have done a lot of backpacking in the Sierra (see my most recent trip in the thread about going to Mt Whitney with some youth).

Two of my sons have gone with me. One is not terribly interested in doing more, while the other still likes it.
If you like to read, you should check out My First Summer In The Sierra, by John Muir, the founder of the Sierra Club. Great story(ies) and inspirational at points.

Large debris shelter construction (with a heavy emphasis on a very thick vegetation “mattress”) is the most important skill/knowledge to have in the woods imho, and it’s the first thing I’ll start making in a survival situation.

View attachment 2009075
I was out for a few days in the backcountry on a little used trail headed to a popular campground. The trail was massivley over grown and required some bushwhacking and bouldering. My son and I kept leapfrogging a group of boy scouts throughout the day. We had finished eating our lunch and had come up behind them. It was pouring rain and the group of about 12 was spread out along the trail while the adults were talking. One of their scouts had gone way off ahead and they were very concerned that their GPS was telling them they needed to be "about a quarter mile over there." They asked me what I was using for navigation. I told them that I trusted the blazes on the trail far more than an electronic device. I took out my topographic map and showed them where we were based on the landmarks we had passed. I showed them all the major rivers and intersections we had passed since leaving the same camp earlier that morning. My son and I continued on an they were pretty confident to follow us. My son and I caught up to their lone scout about 45 min later. He was sitting on the opposite side of a river crossing and asked us if he had seen his troop. It was pretty hairy in my opinion. I was relieved when they all made it into camp. People have too much blind faith in technology.

I was out for a few days in the backcountry on a little used trail headed to a popular campground. The trail was massivley over grown and required some bushwhacking and bouldering. My son and I kept leapfrogging a group of boy scouts throughout the day. We had finished eating our lunch and had come up behind them. It was pouring rain and the group of about 12 was spread out along the trail while the adults were talking. One of their scouts had gone way off ahead and they were very concerned that their GPS was telling them they needed to be "about a quarter mile over there." They asked me what I was using for navigation. I told them that I trusted the blazes on the trail far more than an electronic device. I took out my topographic map and showed them where we were based on the landmarks we had passed. I showed them all the major rivers and intersections we had passed since leaving the same camp earlier that morning. My son and I continued on an they were pretty confident to follow us. My son and I caught up to their lone scout about 45 min later. He was sitting on the opposite side of a river crossing and asked us if he had seen his troop. It was pretty hairy in my opinion. I was relieved when they all made it into camp. People have too much blind faith in technology.

Speaking of blind faith in technology...

About ten or fifteen years ago three guys were doing a loop in Kings Canyon NP. For those familiar with the area, they went in at Roads End and did a loop southward. On their return to the trailhead, as they were passing through Sugarloaf Valley, they were considering the trail back to their car. The maintained trail went 3000' up and over Avalanche Pass, and then looped around to drop 5000' to Roads End. One of the guys consulted his GPS, which told him that they could cut a number of miles off their trip as well as 3000' vertical if they just went north from Sugarloaf, along Roaring River, to get to Roads End. What anyone with a topo map would quickly see is the reason the trail didn't go that way - Roaring river descends an ever-steepening drainage before dropping down a 2000' vertical cliff. These guys blindly followed their GPS. As the drainage got steeper and steeper, and the river more and more whitewater, they had to cross multiple times, and one of the three guys lost his pack while crossing the river. And then they got to the 2000' cliff. And right then an early winter storm (this happened in October) dropped three feet of snow that night, on three guys who only had gear for two people. I don't think it was a fun night for them. Fortunately for them, their position on the rim of the canyon made them easy to spot from the SAR helicopter, and they got airlifted out. Not only did they blindly trust their GPS, they didn't have the sense to at least look at a topo map to make sure, or perhaps they didn't even have a topo map with them. And another blunder was to go into the high country without checking the forecast, which would have warned them about the coming storm. I have spent enough time in the Sierra high country to know that if there is a winter storm on the way, you had better bring good winter gear and be ready for a lot of fresh snow. Three feet from one storm is quite common, and I have seen storms dump ten feet.

That is the story I usually tell people who place too much faith in electronic devices. I would rather trust a topo map and compass.

Nothing beats getting back in the car and hitting that fast food joint.
You too?? The only time I eat McDonalds these days is after a backpacking trip. If you’re out for a few days the idea of a burger and shake starts to become a serious daydream. :)
That is the story I usually tell people who place too much faith in electronic devices. I would rather trust a topo map and compass.
For sure!

You too?? The only time I eat McDonalds these days is after a backpacking trip. If you’re out for a few days the idea of a burger and shake starts to become a serious daydream. :)

For sure!

After a week in the high country I don't crave fast food, I crave ice cream. I live at 300' above sea level, and when I spend time above 10,000' I have very little appetite, and have to choke food down. I typically run a significant calorie deficit, losing up to a pound per day. When I get back down to sea level, my body is craving calories, and ice cream just hits the spot.

After a week in the high country I don't crave fast food, I crave ice cream. I live at 300' above sea level, and when I spend time above 10,000' I have very little appetite, and have to choke food down. I typically run a significant calorie deficit, losing up to a pound per day. When I get back down to sea level, my body is craving calories, and ice cream just hits the spot.
Maybe you can carry freeze dried ice cream on your trips…

Back