The Kanji

Donald,

Thanks for the clarification. My eBay identity is different from my other Forums name because it was apparently taken ~ it just isn't Acquisitions29 or whatever.

As far as my quest for Simonich knives, the Aurora you own was/is very high on my list to acquire. The fact that there were only 5 of them made doesn't bode well for my actually finding one. Barring that a Nordooh or SRT Field Knife with Parasite would do quite nicely :D

I don't remember for sure, but didn't you scoreyours off the Hoodlum Forum? Is it the one with the survival kit in the hollow cavity behind the slabs?

At any rate, nice little family. I guess a lot of the other Kanji owners must not frequent the BladeForums because no one else has fessed up to owning one :rolleyes:

Nice little site BTW.

~Greg

Greg,

I had a longer reply, but it dissapeared, so this is a little shorter. No, I did not get my Aurora off the Hoodlum's forum. The price I pay for having an Aurora in Talonite, besides 15 times the material cost, is not having a chamber. Rob did not have the tooling necessary to do this in Talonite.

The Kanji owners may all be out using this great knife!
Besides, they may not want anyone coveting their Kanji(s). Since you are now included in this Kanji owner's group, you can appreciate how they feel! ;)

If you think about it you are among only a 100 or less Kanji owners. There were a handful of blanks remaining in A2, but they were not finished by Rob, and are not "Kanji's" per se. There was also the prototype that Ron displays at the end of one his videos, the Tracking one I think....and its use in the Peru video.

Glad you liked the small site.... presumably the knives, since that is about all there is at the moment, and I guess I shouldn't forget my in-house knife model.

There is some more information around, but since you are obviously interested, if you have not seen it you may want to check out:

A Report on Two Knives by Bill Hay and of the rest of his site is great too! You may also want to see his Day of Knives page.

Enjoy your Kanji! :D :cool: :D

Donald,

Thanks for the info, especially the clarification about the hollow chamber not being machined into the talonite knives. I have a friend that was selling another Talonite Simonich that got me started on wanting to add more of these knives to my collection and I had read Bill Hays reports along with Eric's use of his Nordooh. All of these are knives that I wish I had decided I needed just 30 days ago because there have been some great deals floating around.

As far as using the Kanji versus having it as a safe queen I suspect it is going to fall into the user classification. In fact I have way too many other safe queens in my collection that I am going to trade away or sell to subsidize more Simonich customs as the opportunity presents itself. As it stands I would love to find a maroon micarta Kanji as well. :cool:

~Greg

If you get out at night, you might catch a glimpse of the Ghost Kanji (Talonite #34). :eek:

GhostKanji34.jpg

Another picture on this page:
Becker Patrol Machete, Kanji Talonite #34 w Green-Black Micarta scales, Shark Saw PullSaw

Back