The kiln is here!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
And it is up and running! It's big and bad! 24" long!

007ojq.jpg

This video has lots of fire.

[video=youtube_share;5WxqsJAAmnw]http://youtu.be/5WxqsJAAmnw[/video]

Last edited:
Sweet that means faster production. Now we just got to have your shop in closed so your warm while you crank out blades.Once you have the new baby life as you know it will change. I thank god my youngest is a freshman in college! But then again I was 15 when we had our first.

Sweet that means faster production. Now we just got to have your shop in closed so your warm while you crank out blades.Once you have the new baby life as you know it will change. I thank god my youngest is a freshman in college! But then again I was 15 when we had our first.

I have always heat treated my own blades so this will really help out a ton, my last kiln was only half this size.

oh snap...i think that just made me pee a little.

Lol it is huge! It wouldn't fit on the table I had for it!

It is really nice for tempering as well, it really holds the heat at low temp... only turns on for a second or two every once in a while. It also gets cranking hot, hot enough for stainless steels even!

By the way, that is real 11 second quench oil preheated to 130F, the good stuff! I'm still looking for a better setup for storing my oils. I hope to get a couple of electric roasters for cheap around Thanksgiving, it stinks heating that stuff up in the house! I have 11 sec oil for stuff like 1095, 28 sec oil for O1 and plates for air quenching steels.

how hot does the oil need to be? maybe you can put a sturdy metal tray on top of the pot bellied stove !

I was wondering if it had to be a special oil for quenching. Now I know, neet.

So... congrats! and.. is that the parang I was just suggesting you need to hop on?? I'm liking the profile.. TELL ME MORE FRIEND! I might have to claim this before the clan starts drooling!

Is that a Sugar Creek oven?

I use an old electric crock pot for heating/quenching smaller blades.

how hot does the oil need to be? maybe you can put a sturdy metal tray on top of the pot bellied stove !

Excellent idea! If I don't find some roasters for cheap I will get some trays with lids. Yarrgghh boiling oil! :D (lol I don't boil it but that sounds cool)

I was wondering if it had to be a special oil for quenching. Now I know, neet.

Canola oil has good quench properties for some steels like 5160 but proper quench oils are really important for stuff like 1095 and O1.

So... congrats! and.. is that the parang I was just suggesting you need to hop on?? I'm liking the profile.. TELL ME MORE FRIEND! I might have to claim this before the clan starts drooling!

I had a 18" piece of 1095 and kept looking at it until this design hit me. I am a fan of Jimmy Fikes and his designs were part of the inspiration.

It has a nasty zero bevel convex grind on both sides and a cool hamon. I used thick black leather under a cord wrap for the handle, it is comfy and shock absorbing with insane grip. I put a really cool patina on it, it came out very nicely. I can get it to cut free hanging paper and it has gotten me a few times, it's a slicer for sure!

I wanted to make something like a Pirate would have, this is it. :D

Pics soon.

Is that a Sugar Creek oven?

I use an old electric crock pot for heating/quenching smaller blades.

Yes it is. A crock pot would be nice for smaller stuff. I like the whole self contained/heated idea.

Back