The Knife Life (Minor Topics and Random Stuff Thread)

I've noticed a trend in general.... TOO MANY THREADS THAT REALLY DONT NEED TO EXIST..... Repetitive threads, threads about very minor issues, threads that are very short because their topics don't actually warrant threads, threads about things that aren't quite answered in the threads about your topic that come up with a search.....

So to remedy this.....

I decided I would make a thread that would basically encompass everything that is not important enough for new threads, but not trivial enough to just let go. I'm talking about all the little passing questions and comments on anything having to do with knives, that don't warrant their own threads. Whatever you have to ask that falls into this category, throw it in this thread instead of making a separate one:thumbup:

But most of all, this thread should be used as a casual chatting ground for people who want to share things like-
What they got recently, and what they think of it (new knives and first impressions)
What type of things they're into these days with regards to knives, sharpening systems, etc.
What they did with their knives that day
How they like to carry thier knives for differnent situations, how they're carrying them today, and why
Trivial questions about something they noticed about their knife or its performance at some point during the day
Tales about adventures with sharpening and how sick of an edge they got yesterday
Revelations they had about knife related things/ epiphanies about their knife carrying life style in general
Yadda yadda yadda. You get the idea:D

That's right.... No topic, comment , or question is too small to fit in this thread. If you have a random thought about knives that you want heard by other forumites, or a story to tell about your knife usage that day, post it here

Let me start.....:)

Today I realized my new delica is one of the greates cutting tools in existence! I got mine laser sharp, it carries super nicely, and the egos are great:thumbup: I also noticed that the finish on the clip is very durable, and won't come off easily.
Oh and I just picked up a Japanese whetstone from "TAIDEA" that has a 2000 grit side and a 5000 grit side, and so far it's working great! I was actually terrified at how well it was removing material! I had a really messed up bevel on my pm2, but once I hit it with the 2000 grit side, it only took a few minutes to get a nice, flat, even bevel:thumbup: Then I just refined it with the 5000 grit side, and hit it with my strop to finish. Now it has a beautiful edge:)

Last edited:
Today I realized my new delica is one of the greates cutting tools in existence! I got mine laser sharp, it carries super nicely, and the egos are great:thumbup: I also noticed that the finish on the clip is very durable, and won't come off easily.

While my clip's finish is clearly not as good as yours (wearing off pretty easily) I do feel that the Delica is the best EDC knife for anybody who uses a knife for anything but daily hard-use cutting of tough materials. It has an unbeatable combo of a great blade, light weight, great ergos and great size.

I carry a ZT alongside it, and I use the Delica 95% of the time.

While my clip's finish is clearly not as good as yours (wearing off pretty easily) I do feel that the Delica is the best EDC knife for anybody who uses a knife for anything but daily hard-use cutting of tough materials. It has an unbeatable combo of a great blade, light weight, great ergos and great size.

I carry a ZT alongside it, and I use the Delica 95% of the time.

Same! Whenever I want to carry my Delica, I feel the need to carry something that has a little more style, so I grab a ZT, but the Delica really does most of the work...

Same! Whenever I want to carry my Delica, I feel the need to carry something that has a little more style, so I grab a ZT, but the Delica really does most of the work...

I do have to admit that with the ziptie wave mod I gave it it comes into play much faster than the ZT, and since I usually just need a blade briefly for cutting light-duty stuff (packing tape, pallet wrap, cardboard) I tend to read for the Delica for the ease of bringing it to bear.

What type of grind does your delica have? I've been kicking around the idea of getting an edura.

Also?... After some research I've noticed BM doesn't make a base model 710 black blade that isn't a combo edge. What up with that?

So this is a Delica thread?

I am wanting one of the new FFG versions.. I already have the version 3 and version 4 with the saber grind.

Do you guys have any vertical play on your Delica 4's when pushing down hard like when cutting on a cutting board?

Most of you guys have the idea! Let's keep it going!

Rubberdog, you're the exception... Lol no this isn't a delica thread!:p it's the ANYTHING thread:thumbup:

Is it really necessary to have to get a loan from the bank to purchase a nice knife?
Don't get me wrong, if I had the money to spend, I would own all the latest/greatest production and custom knives available.
And this isn't meant to be a poke at any of the fine makers on this site. As a "hobby" knife maker I can appreciate the investment in tools, the dedication to the craft, the artistic ability, the years of blood, sweat and tears, but I can't afford them!

*Am I doing it right?*

I wish you well on your fight to consolidate the internets and rid the world of extraneous small talk.

Has anyone considered starting a knife forum, so we can at least have our own world to ramble on and on about these cool little tools?

Rock on...

...meanwhile, I did nick my thumb while cutting some awesome smokey baby-back ribs apart the other day. They weren't kidding about the Victorinox Fibrox 8" Chef's knife. That beotch is sharp! What a steal.

I looked at the edge of a new Benchmade under 4x magnification last night. It was pretty cool. I'm going to "sharpen" it and then see what it looks like.

I want to polish the edge as much as I can. I have a SharpMaker, a DMT Aligner and a Ken Onion WorkSharp. I'm not sure which one I'll use. Since I'm not in a hurry, probably the SharpMaker.

What type of grind does your delica have? I've been kicking around the idea of getting an edura.

I have a saber grind on my delica, but I'm considering switching to FFG eventually as it looks better and slices better. The saber grind is probably a bit tougher though.

I have a saber grind on my delica, but I'm considering switching to FFG eventually as it looks better and slices better. The saber grind is probably a bit tougher though.

I have the ffg version and it sliced SUPER well. It's currently my best cutter

I cut my thumb pretty good cutting some tomatoes to eat with mozzarella cheese with the zt 0560BW I had for about 3 hours.

I have the ffg version and it sliced SUPER well. It's currently my best cutter
My FFG S110V Manix slices sooooo well, while i have limited experience with FFG, from what i know and have observed it's a great slicing grind

Back