The Knife Tax

Retriever

Gold Member
Platinum Member
It finally happened. After 28 years of owning pocket knives (I got my first one when I was 5). I finally lost one and darn it, it was a good one.
I spent the day out in eastern Colorado looking for pheasants with my lab with my small double stud sebenza 31 in my pocket. We covered just over 7 miles of thick brush. At the tailgate this evening I took off my vest and moved my keys from my vest to my pocket and noticed my Sebenza was missing.
I checked around my truck to no avail and then went back to the other two spots we parked to search around for it. Nothing.
I drove the home hoping that it came out in the truck and that I’d find it while unloading. I came home and searched the truck, but no knife. The only upside is I found my wife’s lost earring to the set I already replaced for her, so now she has a spare.
Oh well. 28 years without losing a single knife is pretty good. I just hope a farmer finds it and gets to experience the joy of a Sebenza.

Anyone else pay the knife tax and have a good story?

Attachments

• IMG_9732.jpeg
    IMG_9732.jpeg
    555.7 KB · Views: 12
I've never lost one, but I've read enough stories to have taken preventative measures. If I'm working outside or hiking in the woods, I carry a Sebenza in this. It makes me a little slower on the draw, but I know I can't lose the knife.

View attachment 2432364
I learned a lesson today. From here on out CRKs go in a zippered pocket until I get a belt sheath.

I paid the tax more than once in my life but in a much lower tax bracket. Does not compare with yours. It was enough to make me paranoid and I carry my CRK clipless, deep my my pocket. Not impossible to loose but damn secure.

Sorry for your loss!

A few years ago I was riding home on my motorcycle after a ride and realized my small carbon fiber 21 insingo wasn't clipped in my pocket. I immediately pulled over and checked every single pocket on me. With no knife found, I immediately cut across the highway median and retraced my entire ride that day, scanning the road. I even looked all over the gas station I stopped at and considered asking if someone turned a knife in but didn't. I went home figuring it was gone only to find it laying on my bed. I never brought it with me in the first place.

My brother-in-law took a retirement job cleaning cars for Enterprise in Wooster, Oh.
He found this in a car, and gave it to me.
He‘s gone now, so it has sentimental value.
It you’re the one, know it’s got a good home, is used often.IMG_2741.jpeg

Another way is to tie the knife to our belt with a two or three feet long piece of cord. We can still use it but can't lose it.
This is probably the best suggestion - protection against it falling out of a pocket and just leaving it somewhere, which is how I think I’d be most likely to lose one (luckily I haven’t done that yet!). No secured pocket or sheath will help if you forget to put your knife back in it!

I've read enough of these lost CRK stories to know that more than 1/2 have happy endings. Don't give up hope, re-check that vest, and go hunting again. Sit in a quiet place, and visualize that days hunt. At some point you got snagged in brush, crossing fence etc. Best of luck, and we want to hear a happy ending! B

My brother-in-law took a retirement job cleaning cars for Enterprise in Wooster, Oh.
He found this in a car, and gave it to me.
He‘s gone now, so it has sentimental value.
It you’re the one, know it’s got a good home, is used often.View attachment 2432456
I have to ask where you got those bricks. They look exactly like the pavers used in Lexington VA around the campus of W&L University (I have one in my house as a memento).

Zieg

I really hate to hear you lost your Sebenza. I too lost a a Sebenza, a small 21. It was 2021 when I decided to go pick up a sub sandwich and had clipped it to my sweat pants. I got home to use it for something and of course it wasn’t there! I went back and looked everywhere, but no Sebenza. Like you, I hope someone realizes what they found and really enjoys it. It’s not as exciting of a loss as yours, but a loss none the less.

Only knife I lost was my Victorinox idk the model it's like a Spartan without the spike and cork screw. My mom got it for me when I was 5 it was the knife that started it all. I found it 9 years later inside the couch while renovating, now it sits safe and sound in my drawer. I hope there's a happy ending to your story too. SAK ain't much to lose, but that thing was there with me till my late teens and holds so much memories it's priceless to me.

My only CRK loss was a small red linen micarta insingo inkosi. That one was a new purchase 'lost in transit' (or stolen) along with another order being forwarded to me. And, I still haven't been reimbursed for the losses and probably never will be.

I lost a beautiful new Spyderco Delica on a Canadian highway outside Quebec during an ice storm. Not a huge financial loss, but it was a nice knife.

Sorry to hear of your knife tax. Hopefully whoever finds it will realize what they have.

One of the knife taxes that I paid eventually involved a refund. I was climbing Squaw Peak above Provo, UT, in waist deep snow, and I had a Gerber Mark 1 clipped on (the sheath has a spring loaded clip, not a belt loop). After descending, I discovered it was missing...no chance of finding it in deep snow.

The next spring I was back on the mountain, and lo and behold, there it was. There are no trails on that peak, so the chance of taking the exact same route up the mountain was pretty slim, but I got lucky. The blade has deep pitting (L6), but I still have it over 30 years later.

I’m holding out hope. I was hunting walk in access land that was super overgrown, but I tracked all my routes on OnX so I can retrace my steps.
We’ll see if I can find it. I flushed a rooster, got a shot off, and the brush was so thick I couldn’t find my empty shell, but we live in hope.
Regardless, I immediately ordered a replacement from a CRK authorized dealer. I’m sure once the replacement arrives I’ll find the lost knife.

Back