• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

The Knight Founders Bowie

Well here we go

Some of you might remember when Jason and I did the Kwaiken project a few months back. It was very successful and the small run sold out in around 24 hrs. At that time there was talk of a Fighting Bowie project.

It is no secret around here that I am a huge Bowie fan and I am fortunate to call some of, if not the best Bowie makers in the world friends.

I have what I believe to be a very nice assortment of Bowies and I have devoted a lot of my time trying to learn as much as I can about Bowie knives and how to use them.

I firmly believe that when it comes to edged weapons and especially large knives the Bowie is the king of the true combat blades and that you can do things with a proper fighting bowie that elevate it above similar type knives.

When it comes to makers of proper fighting Bowies there are many I could mention but only a handful that fully understand what it takes to make the kind of knife I consider a proper fighting Bowie.

Jason has a huge understanding of what true combat cutlery is Jason Knight. This is no secret to many and when companies like Wilson Combat search him out there is a reason for it. In my opinion Jason kind of bridges the two worlds between perfectly finished show investment pieces and true hardcore combat/hard-use blades. Jason truly can do it all and I believe he enjoys making true battle blades more than any other type of knife. I have said this before, he truly would be at home on an ancient battlefield, forging and swinging steel .

Jason's blades have been torture tested by many, but mostly by Jason himself he really would never put out a blade that he did not think was battle ready. I dig that about him.

You can identify his work from across the room which in an age where there is a sea of work that all looks the same this is a feat in and of itself. His blade styles are emulated by many and his friendly nature and eagerness to teach makes him not only a stand out Blade Smith but a standout human being as well.

Onto The Knife

Jason and I have spent long hours speaking of Bowie Knives and techniques. We spoke of the main standout moves or techniques that work especially well with the Bowie and what a Bowie has to offer in order to make these techniques and this style knife the standout blade it is.

First and foremost it needs a blade of at least a certain length, then it needs a properly shaped blade that has a sharpened clip to back cut and penetrate on the thrust. It needs enough belly to be a good slasher and enough weight to hit like a ton of bricks but still have enough balance to change direction quickly.

This is done with distal taper and other tricks of the trade but you would be amazed at how many big name makers IMHO make a beautiful inert paperweight, instead of a knife that performs like the best out there.

When it comes to handles here is where a lot of makers fall short they make a beautiful handle but it does not give enough purchase on the blade and does not index well Kinda like putting a poorly sized and slick wheel on a F1 car It is your connection to the blade it better fit well and feel right.

That does not mean when you pick it up you go boy this is comfy I'm talking about when your hand is sweaty and you are snap cutting thru targets and thrusting into targets it stays put and lets you know right where your edge is at all times. I like to say that if I could stick the knife straight up in to a beam that I could get enough purchase on the handle to hang from it.

I have had the misfortune to of had to finish off some animals with a knife and I can tell you things die hard by the blade. I have spent many hours working with swat cops and law enforcement personnel, a friend of mine was the head of all gang-violence prevention in a bad area and the pics of knife wounds I have seen are traumatizing. In a last-ditch situation where a knife is all you have, I don't want a short, wimpy blade, I want a blade that hits like a lead pipe, changes direction like a light saber and pierces like an ice pick. To make a long story short I want to end the altercation as fast a possible, I don't wanna roll around slicing and getting sliced up This is when a properly made Bowie stands out.

So you can imagine how pleased I was when Jason said let's do the Bowie Project. I sent him a sketch of a blade shape and we discussed handle shapes and after a generous dose of Knightness, the Metal Mashing Monster came up with this prototype,

What we have here is a 10 inch blade of forged W 2 with a radical distal taper, a stainless guard and some fantastic curly maple dyed black with a single pin to give this blade a dark, elegant bad-ass look.

This blade has the power of a freight train and the handling of a Ferrari and the name of this blade is the Founders Bowie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHERE WE LEFT OFF

The proceeds of these knives will finish Jason's new shop hence the name Founders Bowie and I believe the names will go on a plaque that will hang in his shop. There will be 10 available with I believe 2 ALREADY SPOKEN FOR so there are 8 still available. They will be sold on a first-come/first-served basis and here is the best part.......As soon as your check is received the knife will be delivered with in 30 days.

I am very proud to announce this it is unheard of to receive a knife like this within 30 days from one of the top Mastersmiths out there today. There is no sheath with this knife we believe it is better to let each individual pick what they want. So for sheaths it is up to you. Mine is going To the great Paul Long You can have the knife sent to Paul or Lance the gentlemen that did the bulk of the Kwaiken project or any sheath maker that floats your boat.

Please contact me at JParanee@aol.com or 610 657 9515 for any inquire's the price will be $1200.00 please contact me to place an order. Jason and I thank you for reading this long-ass post and we hope you enjoy what we have come up with

The first one has just been sheathed by the great Paul Long and then it will be on its way to the Great Coop for a proper photo. Paul was kind enough to snap some pics so I could get the post up and running. Pauls bench lights are rather bright so it looks a it washed out. As soon as Coop gets a photo done I will post it up on this thread his pic should so the rich volor of the dyed curly maple .. Paul's sheath work is always fantastic and from the look of the skin he used it looks like that mean old Texan went down to Hades and skinned old Lucifer himself :D . Thanks Paul

And now with out further delay
THE FOUNDERS COMBAT BOWIE

100_2118.jpg

100_2119.jpg

100_2120.jpg

100_2121_2.jpg

Last edited:
man that turned out AMAZING! And no doubt the knife feels exactly right:thumbup:
Can't wait to see what His Knightness has in store for us next;):D

Great write up Joe! Really enjoyed reading through your long ass post!

Fantastic project! Clearly, much thought went into all aspects of the design - you are both to be congratulated. That is a terrific-looking fighting bowie.

Roger

I could have told you that was a Jason Knight bowie from across the room he has a style that is all his all day and knight I Love it

Another gorgeous Bowie!! Can't wait to see the 'pro' pics of this one. :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone from Jason and myself.

I have gotten many inquires already and one has already sold :D

I will keep ya all posted but when there gone there gone

Thanks so much

What a beast! Personally I would have preferred the maple in its natural state but other than that its got everything going on..... I'm sure these will sell like hot cakes.

Alll right folks I believe I have 5 sold and that puts us past the half way mark

Thank you all

Well as of this morning the last slot was filled and it is going to Italy

But due to a cancellation there is one still left

As always thanks so much

Joe

Back