• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

The Knight Founders Bowie

Well here we go

Some of you might remember when Jason and I did the Kwaiken project a few months back. It was very successful and the small run sold out in around 24 hrs. At that time there was talk of a Fighting Bowie project.

It is no secret around here that I am a huge Bowie fan and I am fortunate to call some of, if not the best Bowie makers in the world friends.

I have what I believe to be a very nice assortment of Bowies and I have devoted a lot of my time trying to learn as much as I can about Bowie knives and how to use them.

I firmly believe that when it comes to edged weapons and especially large knives the Bowie is the king of the true combat blades and that you can do things with a proper fighting bowie that elevate it above similar type knives.

When it comes to makers of proper fighting Bowies there are many I could mention but only a handful that fully understand what it takes to make the kind of knife I consider a proper fighting Bowie.

A man who has a huge understanding of what true combat cutlery is Jason Knight. This is no secret to many and when companies like Wilson Combat search him out there is a reason for it. In my opinion Jason kind of bridges the two worlds between perfectly finished show investment pieces and true hardcore combat/hard-use blades. Jason truly can do it all and I believe he enjoys making true battle blades more than any other type of knife. I have said this before, he truly would be at home on an ancient battlefield, forging and swinging steel .

Jason's blades have been torture tested by many, but mostly by Jason himself he really would never put out a blade that he did not think was battle ready. I dig that about him.

You can identify his work from across the room which in an age where there is a sea of work that all looks the same this is a feat in and of itself. His blade styles are emulated by many and his friendly nature and eagerness to teach makes him not only a stand out Blade Smith but a standout human being as well.

Onto The Knife

Jason and I have spent long hours speaking of Bowie Knives and techniques. We spoke of the main standout moves or techniques that work especially well with the Bowie and what a Bowie has to offer in order to make these techniques and this style knife the standout blade it is.

First and foremost it needs a blade of at least a certain length, then it needs a properly shaped blade that has a sharpened clip to back cut and penetrate on the thrust. It needs enough belly to be a good slasher and enough weight to hit like a ton of bricks but still have enough balance to change direction quickly.

This is done with distal taper and other tricks of the trade but you would be amazed at how many big name makers IMHO make a beautiful inert paperweight, instead of a knife that performs like the best out there.

When it comes to handles here is where a lot of makers fall short they make a beautiful handle but it does not give enough purchase on the blade and does not index well Kinda like putting a poorly sized and slick wheel on a F1 car It is your connection to the blade it better fit well and feel right.

That does not mean when you pick it up you go boy this is comfy I'm talking about when your hand is sweaty and you are snap cutting thru targets and thrusting into targets it stays put and lets you know right where your edge is at all times. I like to say that if I could stick the knife straight up in to a beam that I could get enough purchase on the handle to hang from it.

I have had the misfortune to of had to finish off some animals with a knife and I can tell you things die hard by the blade. I have spent many hours working with swat cops and law enforcement personnel, a friend of mine was the head of all gang-violence prevention in a bad area and the pics of knife wounds I have seen are traumatizing. In a last-ditch situation where a knife is all you have, I don't want a short, wimpy blade, I want a blade that hits like a lead pipe, changes direction like a light saber and pierces like an ice pick. To make a long story short I want to end the altercation as fast a possible, I don't wanna roll around slicing and getting sliced up This is when a properly made Bowie stands out.

So you can imagine how pleased I was when Jason said let's do the Bowie Project. I sent him a sketch of a blade shape and we discussed handle shapes and after a generous dose of Knightness, the Metal Mashing Monster came up with this prototype,

What we have here is a 10 inch blade of forged W 2 with a radical distal taper, a stainless guard and some fantastic curly maple dyed black with a single pin to give this blade a dark, elegant bad-ass look.

This blade has the power of a freight train and the handling of a Ferrari and the name of this blade is the Founders Bowie.

The first one has just been sheathed by the great Paul Long and then it will be on its way to the Great Coop for a proper photo. Paul was kind enough to snap some pics so I could get the post up and running. As soon as Coop gets a photo done I will post it up on this thread. Paul's sheath work is always fantastic and from the look of the skin he used it looks like that mean old Texan went down to hades and skinned old lucifer himself :D . Thanks Paul

For more information go to the dealers section

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836215

Thanks for looking

100_2118.jpg

100_2119.jpg

100_2120.jpg

100_2121_2.jpg

this fighter is OUTSTANDING! and more than a bowie in my eyes.

joe thank you for this terrific work shown

the study of the battle and its outcome with this knife is all that I love like phylosophy.

all my respect and congratulations Jason for creating this predator

there are more than 7 hehehe, thank you for this honor Joe

respectfully
Samuel Lurquin
Belgium

In spite of the dreadful photos...

...that is home run off the top of the light tower on the upper deck!

Very impressive!

In spite of the dreadful photos...

...that is home run off the top of the light tower on the upper deck!

Very impressive!

I must agree with Mr. Gill here. Awesome knife; horrid pics(yeah, like I have room to talk!). :p;):D

Another one gone. :D

Joe,

Thanks for that discussion/description of what goes into the design and construction of a great fighting bowie, and why. Your years of experience with bowie knives and your knowledge of the top makers of that style are well documented here, and the cooperation between you and Jason on this design has resulted in a masterpiece.

Congratulations!
Will

Guys I am so thrilled with the response on this one

Especially from the group that is responding

I believe 5 are already gone thanks so much

it's cool that these knives will provide for Good Sir Knight's new shop:thumbup:
Probably the BEST DEAL in knifedom currently...maybe EVER! I bet this knife would sell for 30-40% more from a 'real dealer' than you guys are asking. Not that you aren't a 'real dealer', Joe:D Maybe just the 'realist dealer'...(will work for knives...)

That is 'Beaverzeebub' skin, right?

Peter I believe when the photo from Coop comes back it will truly show what a stunner this knife is. :thumbup::thumbup::D

Last edited:
That's one mean ass looking knife Joe! Great write-up too! Jason's work is in a class all by itself. He has a knack for blending intimidating attitude with seamless beauty!

Too much of a sales pitch.

Don't post this in Custom again. You already should know that.

Maaan! Wish I had the $$.
You would'nt happen to give a special discount for someone born on 'April Fools' day ? :D

Seriously, awesome project and opportunity to own one from one of the best makers around, and good write up too Joe :thumbup:

I'll just have to go out in the woods and wreak some havoc with one of my forged finished Choppers from J to vent my frustration.
Mac

Too much of a sales pitch.

Don't post this in Custom again. You already should know that.

Hey Gus

Benjamin already move it and told me to put a link in customs I paid for my dealers memberships it is a custom and it is my knife so why cant i post it here

Back