The Laser Thread

I received the Xtool F1 yesterday. Super easy to set up, 15 min or so. Started sketching on a logo, trying to figure out Inkscape. This is what I got after a couple of tries. The left one catces a nail. 3 passes on 90% power, only takes seconds. The logo is 13 mm diameter. AEB-L 62 Hrc.
Looking forward to refining things further.

j241SVV.jpeg

Last edited:
Been messing about with some very simple makers mark using Xtools Creative Space.
IMG_5620.jpeg
Creative Space does not have the capabilities of LB or Inkscape but it has made improvements in the latest version.
I’d love to use this to cut out leather sheaths.

The laser can work really good cutting sheath patterns out. A decent fume extraction method is needed other wise the smell of burning leather can get pretty strong.

Good luck and be sure to let us see the results of your leather cutting for sheaths.

The laser can work really good cutting sheath patterns out. A decent fume extraction method is needed other wise the smell of burning leather can get pretty strong.

Good luck and be sure to let us see the results of your leather cutting for sheaths.
The learning curve for me is steep for new things, particularly if a computer and/or electronics is involved, lol.
I keep looking for the software that will allow me to take a pic of a given pattern and it will convert it to an svg file for ease of use!

Lightburn does pretty good at importing a jpg file, then engraving from it. There is some tweaking done to get best results, it does work pretty good. For a sheath type project I'll take a photo, import that to NanoCAD and trace around the outline, then export as a dxf file that will import into LightBurn pretty good.

I've got a pattern/file for the K-BAR knife that works pretty good if you (or anybody else) desires. I got the basic pattern from another guy, then I tweaked it a good bit to fit the standard K-BAR.

Last edited:
Ken H, I followed your technique (somewhat) using only the Creative Space software and cut out this very simple one part sheath as proof of concept for myself.
IMG_5648.jpeg
This is a bit more jagged than it looked on first cut as I was guessing power and speed for this 7-8 oz. leather.
For the Xtool Creative Space software I took a pic of a Manila folder template (after darkening the edges as you suggested), loaded the image into CS, traced the outline and fired away. There were a couple more steps but I ‘d have to be sitting with the computer to note it all in sequential order.
Your instructions made it much easier to figure out, thank you.

That's a good looking mark on the knife blade. Remind me again what laser you have? What power and speed did you use for the mark? Any coating, paint etc? The mark sure came out with a good black color.

Ken I have the Xtool pro (I can’t remember if it is 10 or 20w?, but will look tomorrow). With that system I tell it the material and it will decide speed and power, but power is usually 100%. It took one minute forty-five seconds per run time and I repeated it 3 times.
Once I take the piece off the bed I wipe it with alcohol and what you see is what I get. I’m very happy with the coloration.

ETA- It is a 10w

Last edited:
Has anyone with a full frame laser diy’ed an enclosure for wood and leather work?

Has anyone with a full frame laser diy’ed an enclosure for wood and leather work?
I'm currently building one. Using 1/4" Birch Plywood. I can post some pics later if you're interested.

For the OLM3 10 watt laser I ordered this enclosure (edit: B0BM3W9VRH) for $110 shipped. I wasn't sure I could get all the parts together to make a nice DIY enclosure for much less money so I bit the bullet and ordered. To be sure I could cut leather, engrave bone, wood, etc without smoke and lots of bad smell in the room I also ordered this exhaust fan B01M7S46YZ for $30 shipped, then this charcoal filter B0BXD8JYLB to catch the odors and smoke for another $30. The combination does a good job. I also ordered this remote switch B07GXCYWRQ so the air pump and exhaust blower could be turned on from desk. That all added another couple hundred bucks to the cost of the laser but it's nice. Before the exhaust fan/filter setup I was carrying laser outside to cut leather and that's a hassle.

Just do a google search on each of those Amazon numbers to turn up the part.

Last edited:
I'll post them tomorrow...today has been a very long day. I might even conjure up some plans.
I haven't had time to get out in my shop the last few days. Life has been getting in the way. I will make time this weekend.
Which enclosure you are referring to K Ken H ? I see part numbers for your other items, but not the enclosure. But you have a good point. I'm mostly scrounging on parts for this one and hopefully using items I already have. We'll see how it goes

I haven't had time to get out in my shop the last few days. Life has been getting in the way. I will make time this weekend.
Which enclosure you are referring to K Ken H ? I see part numbers for your other items, but not the enclosure. But you have a good point. I'm mostly scrounging on parts for this one and hopefully using items I already have. We'll see how it goes
No hurries and no worries, life happens!
I found some images online of an enclosure that looks pretty good, I may give that a go and check out Ken’s listed materials.
Thanks all

Ooops, looks like I forgot the enclosure item number. Sorry about that. Try B0BM3W9VRH and see if that doesn't turn up. When I first got it I was concerned about it being all fabric with metal rods for a frame. That actually works pretty good with cover zippering the cover closed.

Back