Recommendation? The Last One (For Now)

Should I get the 482 Megumi or the 485 Valet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm about to make my last purchase for the year and I've narrowed it down to the 482 and the 485 as I've decided I want something along the lines of a "modern gentleman's knife".

I'm leaning towards the 482, but I've yet to own and edc a knife without a pocket clip and I'm also a little hesitant over the short (for me) blade length. I also have no experience with the Nak Lock. Alternatively, the Valet would seem to provide better steel, a longer blade and OAL, and a pocket clip; however, while it's certainly a nice clean design, it doesn't seem as upscale as the 482, particularly the beautiful cocobolo and carbon fiber inlaid handles on the 482. I've also heard some stuff 'round parts of the internet about the axis lock on the valet being less than smooth compared to the axis lock on some other Benchmade models (such as the amazing 940/943).

Any and all input would be much appreciated!

I wouldn't necessarily say the axis on the valet isn't as smooth as others (not the ones I had anyway), it's just smaller, so it isn't as comfortable as others and doesn't stick out as far, so it feels less accessible. The thumb studs are also small and tucked in tight where they aren't as accessible as I'd like. The main thing I didn't like about it was the handle to blade weight ratio, the blade just felt too light for my taste. The Megumi also has a small thumb stud that can dig into your thumb, but I like it a little better than the valet because the knife is slimmer. I've heard others complain about excessive blade play on the Megumi, but I don't have that issue with mine. The Nak-Lock is pretty cool, but not the strongest design. I'm sure it's adequate for anything you'd be doing with a knife that size.

Here's a comparison photo. Shinola Valet is 3rd from the right. I don't have it anymore, so I can't give you any better comparisons.
valet.jpg

Here's a close up of the Nak-Lock on a 483. It has an internal liner lock that slides into a notch on the blade and when you push the button, it moves the lock bar over and allows you to close the blade.
SAM_6591.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily say the axis on the valet isn't as smooth as others (not the ones I had anyway), it's just smaller, so it isn't as comfortable as others and doesn't stick out as far, so it feels less accessible. The thumb studs are also small and tucked in tight where they aren't as accessible as I'd like. The main thing I didn't like about it was the handle to blade weight ratio, the blade just felt too light for my taste. The Megumi also has a small thumb stud that can dig into your thumb, but I like it a little better than the valet because the knife is slimmer. I've heard others complain about excessive blade play on the Megumi, but I don't have that issue with mine. The Nak-Lock is pretty cool, but not the strongest design. I'm sure it's adequate for anything you'd be doing with a knife that size.

Here's a comparison photo. Shinola Valet is 3rd from the right. I don't have it anymore, so I can't give you any better comparisons.
View attachment 736299

Here's a close up of the Nak-Lock on a 483. It has an internal liner lock that slides into a notch on the blade and when you push the button, it moves the lock bar over and allows you to close the blade.
View attachment 736301

Thanks for responding! A very informative post that certainly gives me a lot to think about. And not to derail/sidetrack my own thread too much here, but this is the about 3rd time I've heard about this "shinola" valet - what exactly is it? Is it a limited edition or a dealer exclusive model (like the Ritter Grips?) Also, I like the look of your backspacer on the 482!

Edit: I also totally forget to mention that you posses a badass and jealousy inducing collection of wood-handled Benchmades!

Shinola is a watch manufacturer that had Benchmade do a wooden handle version of the Valet with their logos on it. The only place you can get a new one is from Shinola's website, but I just looked and they're out of stock. That pic that's showing the nak-lock is actually the 483 Shori, but the Megumi has a pretty cool backspacer too. Another nice touch is the cocobolo insert on the thumb stud.

SAM_7049.JPG
SAM_7050.JPG
SAM_7056.JPG

Shinola is a watch manufacturer that had Benchmade do a wooden handle version of the Valet with their logos on it. The only place you can get a new one is from Shinola's website, but I just looked and they're out of stock. That pic that's showing the nak-lock is actually the 483 Shori, but the Megumi has a pretty cool backspacer too. Another nice touch is the cocobolo insert on the thumb stud.

View attachment 736826
View attachment 736827
View attachment 736828

Thanks again for all of the information. I had no idea what the deal was with that wood handled valet, but now that I know I can possibly get one new, I may have to give this decision a bit more thought. And whoops, my bad! I had thought you'd just put a custom backspacer on your 482.

After some humming and haw-ing, and -Corey- -Corey- 's very informative insight, I've set my sights on the valet. I'll probably try and replace the factory G-10 scales with some wood ones, but overall, I'm looking forward to my last knife pick up of this year.

There are a couple gold class models, if you wanna go all out. :D

485-151
1ac523ef-fb52-416d-87e5-812a944a05f2_1.a62d142884be331fa59059e711d49dbf.jpeg

485-171
485-171-pair_1000x1000.jpg

View attachment 736299

View attachment 736301
Whats the 4th knife from the left and nice crooked river. I got the number 300/500 on that blade.

Whats the 4th knife from the left and nice crooked river. I got the number 300/500 on that blade.
4th from the left is the Grizzly Creek. I don't have that Crooked River anymore, but I do agree, it's a nice one. I especially liked the checkering on the scales.

There are a couple gold class models, if you wanna go all out. :D

The only Gold class model readily available to me is the new(er) 485-171 - and the only place (to my knowledge) that I've seen it for sale up here has it listed at $799 CDN (before tax and shipping)!

I'd love to own either/both of the Gold Class Valets, but they're several hundred dollars more then I'm willing to pay, and I'd rather not deal with international shipping either for axis lock knives if at all possible (I'd rather not fork over several hundred dollars for a knife just to have it seized at the border).

As for the Crooked River, I couldn't seem to find the dymondwood model in stock anywhere so that's also on my list for next year!:D

Again, thanks to all for the votes and for the info. I thought it'd be fitting to close this thread out with some obligatory photos of the new Valet!

MKtJnRe.jpg

1Xqk6HD.jpg

XCHDBIv.jpg

1Ec65o9.jpg

44B3hiC.jpg

F3n5TDS.jpg

oJRtNjl.jpg

It arrived centered with a super smooth action (not drop free, but that can be fixed with a torx driver), and seemingly (to my eye) even grinds. Fit and finish on the whole knife looked stellar to me. I'm excited to start using and carrying this little guy!

Nice knife indeed. Next time in Ottawa, I'll stop off at the Merivale Mall and check it out.

First impressions are extremely good. It carries like it's not there which is what I was looking for with this knife thanks to the milled/skeletonized liners (Benchmade lists the weight at less than 2.2oz!), but I can still get a full four finger grip on it - and fwiw, my glove size is XL.

As previously mentioned, out of the box, its action was smooth but not drop free and lock up was solid with no vertical or horizontal play.

I haven't really had the chance to cut much with it yet, but it was also sharp out of the box and the drop point blade shape seems like it will be up to any task suitable for a ~3" blade.

Aesthetically, it's a less aggressive looking design that shouldn't give those around it any alarm or fright when it's being used (but this is obviously going to take some time for me to use it to see if this bit of conjecture is true or not). As well, its sleek and slim design would lend itself to more dressy occasions in addition to being an excellent regular EDC.

My only gripe with the knife thus far is the thumb studs. The knife is small so the corresponding thumb studs are also on the small side for me. Due to this, after repeatedly opening and closing the knife today, I've noticed it had dug into my thumb a little.

TL;DR:
- Lightweight, smaller, but accommodates a full grip
- Smooth action with solid lockup
- Good blade shape; sharp out of box
- Sleek, streamlined, non-aggressive looking design
- Smaller thumbstuds can dig into thumbs

Based off of first impressions, I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a 3" folder and/or a knife that can dress up with you.

Last edited:
I only have one BM, so far, (mini grip) and while looking it over in the store, I found I could barely move the blade. Found out it is by design for us Northerners. Nothing that a judicial use of a torx didn't remedy:cool:

I only have one BM, so far, (mini grip) and while looking it over in the store, I found I could barely move the blade. Found out it is by design for us Northerners. Nothing that a judicial use of a torx didn't remedy:cool:

I bought my 940 in-store and it was the same; crazy tight action. I could barely open it one-handed with my right thumb!

My understanding is that they are heavily tightened so that when they cross the border, they can't be flicked open - which would make them a prohibited weapon (knives that are capable of being opened by centripetal force are illegal in Canada).

Last edited:
Hi @-Charlotz4. I would like to know how you are getting along with the Valet. Since I posted last in this thread, I have bought a 940-2 and a 580 Barrage. Both great knives, but I am still eyeing the Valet. So how is the action on the knife holding up, any glaring issues that have popped up? I have narrowed down my choice between the Valet 485 and the Nakamura 484, but so far I am leaning more toward the Valet. Sometime in December, I hope to handle both at Kutter's and see how they feel.

Last edited:
Back