The latest BK2 - extended tang?

Hi guys

I've just realised that there's a new version of the BK2 :rolleyes:

What's the thinking behind the extended tang on the latest BK2, and what's the general view: is it a good feature or not?

I haven't used it myself and only have the older 'ordinary' tanged version, which I like a lot. I'm not sure I like the look of the extended tang version, but I'm willing to be convinced!

the pommel is for driving in tent stakes, bashing in zombie skulls, etc. i like it. in mistwalker's thread below, it gave him a bigger area to baton the knife through the log point first.

Hi guys

I've just realised that there's a new version of the BK2 :rolleyes:

What's the thinking behind the extended tang on the latest BK2, and what's the general view: is it a good feature or not?

I haven't used it myself and only have the older 'ordinary' tanged version, which I like a lot. I'm not sure I like the look of the extended tang version, but I'm willing to be convinced!

I waited patiently for the tang extension I was pretty sure would come :)

To me the extension adds a good bit more capability to the knife. Makes a good glass/ice/skull cracker, make a good striking point for using the knife in chisel fashion, makes a good scraper, I'm thinking it will make a decent improvised hammer too.

seems like a feature that the others all have too (or will ;>), so it's a good thing. gives you another surface for batoning, or something something rough with. great stuff.

even WITH the extension, the new knives are lighter than the old version (skeletonized handle) and have more forward balance to boot, bot slightly enhanced chopping ability

so good. see the FAQ/Blade Database for pictures

It is an awesome feature. Love it.

The tang extension is definetly not for pounding stakes. It will bugger a stake head up and if you mis or it gets too buggered, you will wind up with splinters, deeeeeep in your hand.

The idea is to hammer that piece with baton, point first. Bindlestitch (Iz Turly) does this alot with his Turley knives, for splitting wood. Basically drive it point first, through the wood you are splitting, into your wood base and then, simply grab the wood you want to split, and rotate it slightly, and there ya go.

Ethan loves hitting knives with batons. I've heard him say more than once, "you can chop stuff if you want to, but if I have a club, I'll just baton". Some people say there are no knives that are made to baton with.

If it says BK&T on the blade, it was designed to be batoned from spine strikes, to pommel strikes.

Moose

Useful, yes but honestly, it's enough that it looks good. Look good, it does.

20101215_ac_08e.jpg

---

Beckerhead #42

I'm with Moose. I like to use the Turley method of pounding the pommel to use the tip in breaking wood into kindling. Works very well for breaking off cottonwood bark as well.

I not only find it pleasing aesthetically, but also useful. Just my .02

Soo...wait a minute. All the BK2's are gonna have this now? I just held one without and liked it..no reason..just a personal preference...
Basically, if there is a change, I would like to know..I will buy the current version ASAP, while they are still in stock.

Soo...wait a minute. All the BK2's are gonna have this now? I just held one without and liked it..no reason..just a personal preference...
Basically, if there is a change, I would like to know..I will buy the current version ASAP, while they are still in stock.

Nope, tang extension is here to stay. What you held was a Gen 1, the first BK2's that Kabar made. They are not rare, but the stocks that suppliers have is getting thin, or out entirely.

You can still find them, you just have to ask for them.

Moose

i know for a fact you had an original. hah.

yah, the extended tang has been around for ... a while now. months? longer? i don't recall how long i've had mine. all Summer i think.

so if you want one without, you're going to have to be specific when you arrange for one, either from a dealer, or a private sale.

I am all for it. While not a specific design feature, it gives you a hard point to use in cases where you may not have one.

Back