The new 2017 Cold Steel SRK in SK-5 for under $45!!!

I just wanted to do a quick write-up on the new 2017 Cold Steel SRK in SK-5 and include a few quick pics. While this knife is a quintessential SRK, there are a few changes from previous SRK offerings. The coating seems to be a ruff texture coating similar to that used on the older Carbon V models. Also, this model of SRK has the shortest ricasso of any SRK in recent years. I know many will like this as Ive seen several complaints over the years about the long SRK ricasso.The grind also appears to be a hollow grind. This one came razor sharp with a very well ground edge. All in all, it's a pretty impressive knife at first glance for under $45 delivered. I will have to do some testing on the SK5 but if it's anything like it was in the earlier Trail Master, it should be a winner! I hope to do an updated post after I get a chance to put this SRK through some testing. Here are a few pics:

Last edited:
looks good. i have been real tempted to grab one, since i saw them come out. secure x?..have they reduced the glass in it yet? thanks......

:) Nice looking SRK . I'm interested in how well it holds up to hard use . My old Carbon V is still going strong , except for the coating . I even throw it with no damage so far . :cool:

OP says the SK5 model seems to be hollow ground. I don't have any experience with survival knives that come with a hollowgrind (used my hollow ground Recon 1 for some woodcutting but I haven't chopped or batoned with a hollowgrind yet). Some people say this grind is good for slicing but not for rougher use because its thinner behind the edge than a flatgrind for example and therefore might chip or roll easier but I don't know if these opinions are based on practical experience. Do you have experience in using hollowgrinds for survival or bushcraft tasks? Is it a good choice for a survival knife?

Last edited:
got one. sheath still has too much glass and dulls the blade if touches and rubs. shame too as its a great deal at high 30s, if ya hunt around.

the hollow ground is very mild in angle, so should should hold up well to camping type task use compared to an extreme hollow ground. this knife is a winner, but the sheath is a fail. come on cold steel do something about these sheaths please.

Got mine a bit ago, very nice, of course the sheath is meh but the knife itself is great for the price. Only thing I don't like is mine is very lightweight compared to the advertised weight of 8.2 oz. Mine weighs in exactly 7.05 oz,wonder if they are all this weight or just mine.

got one. sheath still has too much glass and dulls the blade if touches and rubs. shame too as its a great deal at high 30s, if ya hunt around.

the hollow ground is very mild in angle, so should should hold up well to camping type task use compared to an extreme hollow ground. this knife is a winner, but the sheath is a fail. come on cold steel do something about these sheaths please.
:) Hey jb ! Can you please provide a hint or PM or whatever is allowed regarding where I might want to "hunt around " to find this in the "high 30's ? Best I've seen would be mid to upper 40's total . Or I'll just wait for a price drop . :cool:

wonder if weight is with sheath weight included?

seems heavier than about an ounce though, the sheath i mean .

Weight of the knife and sheath together is 10.5 ounces. Sheath alone weighs 3.38 ounces.

The knife is well done, I just wish it came with a usable sheath. The opening is too narrow to permit sheathing/unsheathing the blade without dragging the majority of the edge along the inside. CS really needs to address this.

I have used mine a tad
SK-5 SRK
First use. Out of the box it was shaving sharp. It didn't "pop" hair but it shaved. It cut paper pretty well. I did some fairly heavy chopping with it on a scrub tree. Whacked all the limbs off and then chopped through the 1-1.5" trunk. I did some whittling and shaving on the trunk just playing around and getting a feel for the knife. No edge damage and no major dulling. It actually still cut paper pretty well afterwards. I hit it with my eze lap diamond rod and it seems sharper than it was out of the box.

Sounds good. Got mine yesterday but didn't have the time to test it yet. The knife looks solid and fit and finish is really nice. I'm really looking forward to use it.

One on the way with no tax and a free shipping weekend special too. For under 42 bucks I'll give it a go.

Back