• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad The new and latest SCAM!!!

ickkey

Gold Member
Hey BF'ers

Just a heads up, I wanted to share an experience I had so hopefully "NO ONE" is taking advantage of or falls victim to this SCAM..... So after I posted "I'll take it" which was the knife for sale, I sent a pm to the seller, "link to sale post" https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/emerson-a-100-sf-sold.1978085/#post-22518981

A little later I received an email which I thought was odd because I sent a pm!!! I looked at the email closer and it was from someone totally different than the seller that posted the knife for sale. The scammer acquired my email from my profile or one of my older post that I used it in..... "Below" I've included the email I received from the "SCAMMER" and the name of the person that is linked to the paypal account is "DANIEL DARRYL"

So if you don't want these scammers to bother or prey on you, remove your email from profile or if you have included in some of your post and only communicate through pm's, cutting down the odds of being "SCAMMED"

Attachments

• IMG_8636.png
    IMG_8636.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
We have been dealing with this for a while now, and it has been reported and discussed widely.

I had Spark put up a warning banner at the top of every forum page, and a link to updated "best practices" to avoid being a mark.

All members should read and follow the advice provided.

Would suggest everyone do a forum search for their email address. I just did and found 6 instances from years ago (profile posts and sales). Went thru and edited them all. Funny thing though, when I searched again, those same results came up again, so not sure what' the deal is.

Would suggest everyone do a forum search for their email address. I just did and found 6 instances from years ago (profile posts and sales). Went thru and edited them all. Funny thing though, when I searched again, those same results came up again, so not sure what' the deal is.
Maybe cached. Clear cache, log out and back in and see if it still shows. If it does, we'll definitely need to bring this to Spark Spark 's attention.

OK I did the same, searched, found a few posts, edited them, logged out, flushed DNS and history, logged back in and seached. Same posts came up but when I open them the email address is gone. Maybe the search will update after the forums daily refresh?

Maybe cached. Clear cache, log out and back in and see if it still shows. If it does, we'll definitely need to bring this to Spark Spark 's attention.

OK I did the same, searched, found a few posts, edited them, logged out, flushed DNS and history, logged back in and seached. Same posts came up but when I open them the email address is gone. Maybe the search will update after the forums daily refresh?
Yeah I should have clarified that the same search results come up, but the email address is gone. My first thought was maybe it’s like how mods can still see original wording even after editing.

Hey BF'ers

Just a heads up, I wanted to share an experience I had so hopefully "NO ONE" is taking advantage of or falls victim to this SCAM..... So after I posted "I'll take it" which was the knife for sale, I sent a pm to the seller, "link to sale post" https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/emerson-a-100-sf-sold.1978085/#post-22518981

A little later I received an email which I thought was odd because I sent a pm!!! I looked at the email closer and it was from someone totally different than the seller that posted the knife for sale. The scammer acquired my email from my profile or one of my older post that I used it in..... "Below" I've included the email I received from the "SCAMMER" and the name of the person that is linked to the paypal account is "DANIEL DARRYL"

So if you don't want these scammers to bother or prey on you, remove your email from profile or if you have included in some of your post and only communicate through pm's, cutting down the odds of being "SCAMMED"

This same thing has happened a few times this week. I think there have been several posts about this withing good/bad/ugly. Scammers suck, and they're always around.

I can’t edit out my email from some of the old threads that are locked Blues Blues , any suggestions?
For now, send a "report" with links to the posts. I've been inundated today with requests and have tried to accommodate them all, but this way someone else might get to it if I can't.

Clearly, it will require something at Spark's level to find a working solution to this as it will overwhelm our small staff, otherwise.

I found a number of them. Unfortunately I could not delete somwe do to them being quoted or in closed threads.
But it was a great idea

In the end, no one can defraud you if you don't respond to unsolicited emails. On the other hand, if you can't send a PM when dealing with a seller, then perhaps you should consider at least a basic paid membership to protect yourself.

(I have no financial interest in the site and derive no income from it. So my suggestion is not motivated by personal gain.)

In the end, no one can defraud you if you don't respond to unsolicited emails. On the other hand, if you can't send a PM when dealing with a seller, then perhaps you should consider at least a basic paid membership to protect yourself.

(I have no financial interest in the site and derive no income from it. So my suggestion is not motivated by personal gain.)

Received the following from a member last night… he was smart enough to realize the attempted scam.

“Hello William,
This is Razor on Bladeforums, following up regarding the ZT 200. Thanks, it’s yours. $125 shipped. PayPal address is; nicholas.bell1994@gmail.com

Send via friends and family. Also, shipping information. Will get it in the mail tomorrow. Thank you.”

Nice to see someone had his thinking cap on.

Thanks
I was just trying to get an idea if these scammers were any level of member or working totally from outside
I logged off, this is what’s viewable.

IMG_0178.png

This is what happens after clicking on your profile while logged off.

IMG_0179.png

Back