The Real Abercrombie & Fitch

I visited the store in 1957 and although I was only a kid in Tony Lama boots was treated like royalty. Good folks! I remember a Neidner custom 30-40 that I fell in love with, 20 years later I purchased one at a pawn shop to complete a dream. Some speak of the high prices, but quality does not lose value.

I visited the store in 1957 and although I was only a kid in Tony Lama boots was treated like royalty. Good folks! I remember a Neidner custom 30-40 that I fell in love with, 20 years later I purchased one at a pawn shop to complete a dream. Some speak of the high prices, but quality does not lose value.

Ed...You were about 20 years ahead as a trend setter...Buy 1977 about 1/2 of New York City was wearning those Tony Lama boots...

My skin crawls whenever I see an A & F sweatshirt. The only good thing to come out of the demise of that old and noble institution was the fact that Griffin & Howe survived as an independent entity. Back in the early 90's, there was an interesting piece in one of the knife mags or annuals about a fellow in NYC who defended himself against some VERY unruly neighbors with a D.E. Henry Bowie that he had bought from A & S when they were on the skids.

When I lived in NYC in the 80s I used to buy firearms from a store downtown where one of the employees had worked for the old A&F previously... he told me a funny (sort of) tale about the old days when long guns were still displayed on the store floor... guy came into the store and picked up a single shot shotgun. looked at it and asked if they had the gun in another calibre. Guy working at A&F says "sure, but it looks and weighs the same as the one you have in your hand there" customer is acting kind of wierd... guy comes puts the gun back and leaves. My bud notices the same customer come back into A&F seberal times over the next days and finally the shotgun had been sold and the display was now stocked with the same gun again but in the caliber the customer had asked about... customer picks up the shotgun, takes a shell out of his pocket, loads the weapon and blows his off in the friggin store!

My bud says that was when they moved all the longguns off the sales floor!

Don't know if that one's true... NYC was a wierd place!

Back