Progress Thread - The Redmeadow Bowies

Jeebus, give a guy time to think... :eek:

OK, cereally, I was thinking about this late last night. RMK (the other RMK), solders screws (maybe it's pins) to their end plates and throws 'em in a bin. When an order comes for an end plate, NS or Brass, they grab one, screw or epoxy it in, then form it to the handle end shape. That's my understanding, anyway. So, the question becomes, have you looked into this process and given it thought as to having stock on hand? Bin o'this, bin o'that, and so on...

That's a "more than one way to skin a cat" kind of thing I think. I'm guessing with their tang construction, they thread the tang end, or attach a threaded rod to the end of the tang. Then either thread the end plates on, or thread a nut over it, or both.

Here's an example of ours.
IMG_20170623_211827-532x532.jpg

Seems to me I've seen a picture of their tangs, I'll try to find it.

Edit, found it.
Randalls tang constuction:
985a2ac20f81ae27f3be21c409dc82b6.jpg

The way I attach the end plates keeps me from having to thread the tang and worry about things beng perfectly straight so the handle material matches up, or so the nut is flush with the plate when everything anugs up. It does make me slot and fit the end plate so the tang can get peened, but it will always be flush.

I don't know if any of that made sense lol. I think the answer right now is it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'll take a look at the process and see what I can do to smooth things up. With the model that I'm gonna be working on along with the Bowies, I'll be able to pre cut spacers, guards and end plates, and only have to do some final fitting for the individual blade. Three blade profiles, identical tangs;)

When we did the keys for the Corsairs, I made a hardened guide to help slot the scales out for the key inserts. It's come in handy for fitting guards and end plates. I super glue it onto the material, use it like a drill guide, and it gives me a good starting point to fit things up.

Last edited:
Ever write something that makes sense, but realize that it might sound like gibberish? :eek:

If anybody needs me to try to explain my gibberish, or has any questions, let me know:thumbsup:

I'd like to thank Gabby Johnson for that explanation...

Ever write something that makes sense, but realize that it might sound like gibberish? :eek:

If anybody needs me to try to explain my gibberish, or has any questions, let me know:thumbsup:
Makes perfect sense. Seems as long as you have a templet or a pattern to help be consistent and accurate in your repeated models or style, your definitely ahead with your process, whether it's peened like yours, or threaded like RMK's, as Sheldon brought up, though you may not have a bin of pre-made end plates.

Last edited:
I was going to write something incredibly witty (or stupid) here, but think I'll save that one for another day... :confused:

If they work out well maybe we'll make some more some time. I was gonna name it the "Super tactical wonder ninja operator backflip Bowie Set" , but it was taken:p

What should we call these? The Redmeadow..... "Bowie"? "Sporting Bowie"? Short Bowie"? Or leave Bowie out all together?
The Redmeadow "rib ticklin sumbeach"? :D

Redmeadow Toothpick? Montana Toothpick? Sporting Bowie sounds, well, sporting! :thumbsup:

I like the Montany toothpick idea.
Ya know that the toothbrush was invented in Montana, right?

I like the Montana Toothpick but there's a couple out there.

Ok Mack, I'll bite.....toothbrush invented in Montana? ya don't say!

A while ago we kicked around the idea of calling a filet knife the Catalina. After the WWII sea plane, the Consolidated PBY.

As much as the "pregnant cow" failed to turn my gears, the B-24 had a pretty cool name. The Liberator.

There was one called "Montana".

6c3b6dd656085f5a159968d0736e244d.jpg

Maybe the Montana Liberator?

Back