The Seax

A lot of period norse styling is fairly simple repeated geometrics and dots, the knotwork usually comes in a bit later or in different types of art. I think with a triskel knotwork pattern or the 3 horns or whatever I can get sierra to look through the ideal would be to have the complex pattern like that be fairly small and balanced, on the straps or as a smallish design on the sheath flat with the border being in a period style.

I'm just thinking "aloud" here

Hey Christof. I sure like the Modern Seax Blade profile/design that you've made, I've been doing some research on this Blade type and It has an Interesting History, I cant wait to get this Beauty, When I do I'm gonna give It a Bushcraft Workout and I think It Is going to be an all out Workhorse type of Blade In the Bush, I think/Hope It'll be here tomorrow so I can get the feel of It "But It's a long trip from California to Nebraska But the US Mail Is quik ! I'll get some Working Blade performance picture's when It arrive's,

xddmp4.jpg

Found these Blade designs from a Site and your's I think Is close to Blade A except your's has a more flat profile accross the bottom of the Blade In more of the Seax type blade shape ,
a. Curved back, curved cutting edge, late fifth to early eighth century;

10mk2o3.jpg

I think this Is the same Blade Chart someone posted on page one In this topic,

And this one Is a Bark River Knive's Seax Prototype, Photo Is from Knivesshipfree.com I'm just showing this for comparison, I Hope It's OK If not I'll delete It,

15zqot2.jpg

Christof with the Seax type Blade what's the longest Blade you've made so far ? What would you think of your Seax Blade In a 9" or 10 " Full Tang Knife 15 1/2" Total length with Ipe Scale's "I can see It already !

Last edited:
My seax is in the 9-12" blade range, I think. I'm not exactly sure what it looks like; though, it is different from Christof's langseax. I believe it is more a larger version of his Modern Seax.

I can't wait to see this thing...hint, hint, hint.;)

My seax is in the 9-12" blade range, I think. I'm not exactly sure what it looks like; though, it is different from Christof's langseax. I believe it is more a larger version of his Modern Seax.

I can't wait to see this thing...hint, hint, hint.;)

I cant wait to see mine eaither, I was Hoping the Mail Man would be bringing my Seax Today "But No Such Luck" I aint got this one yet and I'm ready to Order another ! I'm thinking in the 9" to 10" Blade Length, This one I'm getting In the above picture Is a 5 1/2" Blade, Make sure when you get your Seax to get some picture's up !

Last edited:
I like the modern Seax design a lot, so I might be clouding my thinking here, but what do you guys think about using a modern Seax as a combat knife?

Not in the sense of a fighting knife, but more as utility knife that could be used for survival/combat/utility.

I'm thinking 5.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" so it could fit a Spec Ops sheath and be worn with IBA, etc.... Brown or Natural Micarta slabs. Perhaps a second edge part way back?

I'm sort of thinking out loud here, but the idea has some real appeal to me.

Christof?

It tends to be a heavier knife to begin with, so this isn't off base. I may want to make an adjustment on the handle - I hgave varyaing amounts of downward curve on them, and raise the tip just a hair.

With a partial double edge or without, it should be a sturdy knife for the job.

I was sketching some ideas and ended up raising the tip a touch as well. Might be nice to have a little curve to the edge.

1.5" might be a tad wide for the Spec Ops sheath, how wide does the Modern Seax normally run? If the Spec Ops sheath idea won't work, does Sierra make a MOLLE compatible sheath?

The standard expedition sheath uses 1 inch strapping, so working into MOLLE comaptibility should be easy. the specops sheath probably wouldn't work out but..... maybe. the blades are usually right around 1.4 to 1.5

Let's ditch the Spec Ops idea: I'd rather have it be a bit wider and maybe 6" long.

Wadya think? Want to make a Combat Seax? :D

I need to look at the board and reorganize my schedule here a bit before I can commit on time frame, but yeah. I do wanna do that thing I do. Let's see..... a tan canvas sgian dubh sometime soon and a matching coloring on a seax......

Let's see..... a tan canvas sgian dubh sometime soon and a matching coloring on a seax......

Could it get any better?

No worries on the time frame...don't have orders for anywhere right now...last set got canceled...just as long as I'm on the job board. :D

well, a sgian dubh I'll talk about, and we have a langseax on the list, that's a bit bigger. ...

Sgian dubh is fairly quicklike, too

(I could do that one in micarta. That's be unique as hell)

well, a sgian dubh I'll talk about, and we have a langseax on the list, that's a bit bigger. ...

Sgian dubh is fairly quicklike, too

(I could do that one in micarta. That's be unique as hell)

Hey Christof, I'm likeing this Sgian Dubh Blade design, Is this a 4" Blade Convex Double Edge full Edge across the Bottom 3/4 length across the top ? I'm thinking one of these with Ipe Scale's and theTraditional Koyote Dark Etched Steel Blade would Look Good In my Collection ! If your making some more of these "Add One More ! Cuz I'l, Take It !

rbwajk.jpg

I'm likeing your Idea's Rotte, I got the Modern Seax with a 5 1/2" Blade, I'm ordering one with a 9" Blade, A Combat Seax 6" Blade I Cant Wait To See It !

A Combat Seax 6" Blade I Cant Wait To See It !

I'll post pics if Christof doesn't. I'm kinda stoked with this idea myself. I like the outside-the-box approach with this knife, and the Seax blade shape seems well suited to the multi-tasking role.

And paired with a Sgian Dubh for back-up? Cat's pyjamas my friend, cat's pyjamas.

I'll post pics if Christof doesn't. I'm kinda stoked with this idea myself. I like the outside-the-box approach with this knife, and the Seax blade shape seems well suited to the multi-tasking role.

And paired with a Sgian Dubh for back-up? Cat's pyjamas my friend, cat's pyjamas.

I cant wait to see It, Combat Seax "It even sound's Good just to Say It !

Christof Is gonna be a Busy Man, I added a Sgian Dubh to my Order, I'm also thinking of going with a Koyote Girl Neck Sheath for It, 4" Blade Ipe Wood Scale's "Koyote Old School Tactical" It just doesnt get any Better !

While we are on the topic of the Seax...here is a pic of my new spear point Langseax (one word?).

DSC04563.jpg

Back