The Sebenza: A Fixed Blade That Folds

Having had my small Sebenza for about 8 months now, I can say this is the best folding knife I have ever used. I have no doubt in my mind that years down the road Sebenzas will be very sought after, just like old Randalls. These are no frill folders, built to last a lifetime. I am very proud to own such a great knife!

Kman,

right you are - the Sebenza is the only folder that has approached the feel of a fixed blade when opened. I have held many production and custom folders.

I think it is because of two design features. First, the TI handles with the solid integral lock make the folder seem to be made of one material. Second, the relatively straight handle flows right into the lines of the blade.

My experience is quite different. I have a number of great custom folders that have a wonderful fixed-blade feel. Just try a knife from Kit Carson, Darrel Ralph or Reese Weiland and you'll see what I mean; I consider their fit and feel equivalent to or superior than a Sebbie at a slightly higher price.

But the differences are relatively small and it's a great credit to Chris Reeve's organization that they produce knives that rank up there with these customs. I own several fine Sebbies myself and and consider them to be the best factory knives available.

But let's keep things in perspective. Fine custom knives do NOT stop at this level. One can up the ante into 4 or 5 digits and end up with awesome customs that are far above the Sebbie's class. Sure, a lot of it goes for what one considers "frills" while another might call "fine modern art." But what's wrong with that? It may not be my personal cup of tea, but there's plenty of room for diversity here.

We're talking trade-offs and a Sebbie gives great value for dollar spent - IN ITS PRICE RANGE!

There's room at the other end as well, as Spyderco, Camillus and others are producing terrific knives in the $100-$200 price point. I have a well-used Spyderco Military in S60V steel with G-10 scales that's totally functonal, shows superior design and engineering and will also last a lifetime, and I got it NIB for $75.00! It also has the annoying habit of showing up clipped to my pocket more often than any other knife I own.

I bet CRK never gets overly smug with such high-level competition out there. And, oh, yes, my latest knife is a Sebbie that's on its way as the result of a successful bid on eBay!

I have yet to hold a folder as solid as my Sebbie.
Blade Santa Cruz- I also just picked up a Military and it is a great knife. I was looking for a fully serrated folder with a little less handle flex than my Endura, and the Military is just that. Still, it lacks some of the solidness that my Sebbie has.

But let's keep things in perspective. Fine custom knives do NOT stop at this level. One can up the ante into 4 or 5 digits and end up with awesome customs that are far above the Sebbie's class.

That is true with everything. But it seems like some makers (Chris Reeve, Randall, ect.) have discovered how to make some of the the best knives avalible at a price point where they will be purchased to be used. That is the beauty of the Sebenza- it is one of the best "user" knives avalible.

It seems as though we agree. There are knives at slightly higer (about 20%) price points that provide superior performance (and you have the actual knife maker producing the knife, as well as true custom features that you can discuss and specify with him) and there are knives at significantly lower price points that provide excellent performance but don't quite match up as far as "feel" and other subjective qualities.

........I have recently been bitten by the custom tactical folder knife bug. In being bitten I have ended up with a few custom knives from a couple of top tactical knife makers. To be exact I have;

Kit Carson large model 16 with S30V steel, titanium bolsters and frame along with black/green G-10 handles.......a gorgeous knife that is a worker to boot. I also have a Carson/Vanguard on order from Les R.

Pat&Wes Crawford KFF large (2) one with ti frame that is anodized, and one with black blade and full micarta scales.

Pat&Wes Crawford Perfigo with anodized titanium frame.

Pat&Wes Crawford Falcon large with grooved micarta scales.

All 5 of these knives lock up as tight as any liner locks I've had. All 5 are as sharp as a razor from the makers. All 5 are a delight to look at, to hold, and to use. All 5 open up as slick as owl dookey! I've always heard owl dookey was slick, but I don't personally know:rolleyes: :eek: :)

My point is this. Even though these are standard models I had the option to have special touches added. The ti framed KFF was anodized a dark blue and has fileworked rear spacer and clip. The Perfigo was ordered on a Thursday when it was 90% finished and as an afterthought I asked for it to be anodized. Knife arrived perfectly done on FRIDAY! The Carson..........well you would just have to see it and hold it to fully appreciate it. None of the above would have been possible with a production knife company or even a semi-production knife company, especially within the time frame!:cool:

Even with all of this if I could only keep two of my knives they would be the large Classic Sebenza's, one with the rosewood inserts and the other with the bloodwood inserts. Custom or no I have yet to see the ABSOLUTE precision and engineering that is the Sebenza!

And after all, that is what I want in my folders!!:D :D :D

As always, remember, this is my opinion..........yours may differ.

Of course. We differ in that my two knives would be a Kit Carson Model 4 I had made with a Talonite blade and textured CF scales that feels more solid to me than any Sebbie, as well as being totally impervious to corrosion of any type, and another, a custom EDC Carson I'm having built to my specifications. It has a 3.5" Warncliff blade, a textured CF handle, and a blade of S30V heat treated to an optimal hardness for a pocket knife.
My choice of heat-treatment and final hardness was not limited to a hardness used for a camp knife or Bowies as is the S30V from CR knives. I discussed all the above features and more with Kit and, for about $100 more than a large Sebbie, I will have exactly what I want built with the finest fit and finish to my specs. And that is definitely my preference, but to each his own; it's a very subjective matter.

Back