The Sunday Picture Show (March 24th, 2024)

DeSotoSky

Gold Member
view

Hello and welcome to the Sunday Picture Show. Share your Buck knives with others by posting pictures of them here. New or old, plain or custom, user or safe queen, one or a collection, we love to see them all. This weekly tradition was started in 2010 by ItsTooEarly (Armand Hernandez) and Oregon (Steve Dunn). Help keep the tradition alive. Feel free to click that 'LIKE' but lets not let it replace discussing and complimenting each others knives. DeSotoSky (Roger Yost)

On this Day, March 24, 1989, The Exxon Valdez Oil Spill

The Exxon Valdez ran aground on a reef in Prince Williaam Sound on the Southern coast of Alaska East of Anchorage. The resulting spill of over 10 million gallons of crude oil was to be the worst environmental disaster for the US at the time. The spill was later exceeded by the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. Disasters like this always have multiple causative actions. The captain retired to his cabin just after leaving the oil terminal at about 9:30pm and was said to be sleeping off a "bender" but was never proven. Regardless, he retired while the ship was still in dangerous coastal night time waters. The bridge was manned "alone" by a 3rd mate when the reef was struck just after midnight. That was a violation in itself. There were supposed icebergs in the area and the ship was navigated out of the normal shipping lane. The reef was marked with a radar reflector but the Valdez's navigational radar had been non functional for a year, deemed unnecessary and too expensive to repair. Due to the remoteness of the area there was inadequate containment equipment readily available. Of course in the aftermath the was a lot of finger pointing and law suits making it all the way to the Supreme Court, Justice Alito recused himself because he held a large amount of Exxon stock.

What Were the Impacts?​

The spill affected more than 1,300 miles of shoreline, with immense impacts for fish and wildlife and their habitats, as well as for local industries and communities.
The oil killed: an estimated 250,000 seabirds, 2,800 sea otters, 300 harbor seals, 250 bald eagles, as many as 22 killer whales, billions of salmon and herring eggs
More than 25 years since the spill, the following species remain in a “Not Recovering” or “Unknown” status:,
Killer whales, Kittlitz’s murrelets, Marbled murrelets, Pigeon guillemots

The Valdez was the largest tanker (987') built on the west coast at the time (1986) and was of single hull design.
$30 million and a year later the Valdez was relaunched as the Exxon Mediterranean.
Regulations were passed requiring all new tanker construction to be of double hull design starting 1993.

Read the history of ownership and names the Veldez sailed under. It's life ended on a beach in an Indian ship breaking yard in 2012.

In popular Culture: Anyone remember the 1995 Kevin Costner film Waterworld? At the time it was the most expensive movie ever made . All the Polar Ice Caps have melted in this post apocalyptic time leaving most of the world covered by water. The Smokers are a pirate group whose operating base is the Deez, the rusted hulk of the supertanker Exxon Valdez.

Some fancy Vanguards
Burlwood, Palm, Corian, Ironwood

view

Ramhorn, Master Series, Cocobolo, Ion Fusion
view

Last edited:
howiema howiema March is the absolute worst for weather in the NE. The rivet pins on that 110 seem to have an unusual alignment. Is that just in my head?
It sticks in my mind that a long time ago there was discussion about variations in the location of the rear pin, I think the poster was "Stumps". I couldn't find anything with a quick search. I wonder whatever happened to him? He was a regular here for a long time. I guess we all age out. I will someday as I'm starting my 8th decade.

Last edited:
My thanks to Roger and everybody for sharing your amazing Buck collection's.
I remember contemplating going to help with that Exxon Valdez clean up but an attractive job offer stopped that. Also I remember Waterworld. Three hours long and very costly to make as I remember.
Roger, I love that Ramhorn and the green Master Series below it!

It sticks in my mind that a long time ago there was discussion about variations in the location of the rear pin, I think the poster was "Stumps". I couldn't find anything with a quick search. I wonder whatever happened to him? He was a regular here for a long time. I guess we all age out. I will someday as I'm starting my 8th decade.
Wisdom comes with age. :)

Another near environmental disaster took place this week in 1979. The partial meltdown of nuclear reactor #2 on Three Mile Island, in Middletown, PA, took place on March 28, 1979.

We lived about 50 miles from there, and we were all speculating how big of an area was going to be uninhabitable for a few centuries. We all still went to work though. And they're still trying to clean up that mess.

Back