The ZOMSTRO

Blast it! All y’all made me look at a Zomstro! I fear that my next purchase order may include one of those ‘zombie’ versions, which have that horrible handle color. Now I’m wondering if I should get this or handles for my Becker... Decisions...
You can get the Becker handles anytime. The Zomstro not so much.

Zomstro comes with 2 sets of scales -- hi-viz safety green (same color as my felling wedges) and black (matches the sheath) ......

This post just cost me money!! Kabar still has them on clearance. Ordered a Zomstro and a Famine tanto. Thanks for posting some great photos.

This post just cost me money!! Kabar still has them on clearance. Ordered a Zomstro and a Famine tanto. Thanks for posting some great photos.
Congrats on your new blades! A lot of good 1095, and at that price :D

Last edited:
I too ordered a Zomstro to add into my collection, it arriving today. As a collectible, I will leave everything original, but will place the black handle scales onto it. The green would simply clash with my interior decor, so they will get tucked away with the other accessories and box it all came in :)
I remember the peak of the Zombie merchandise craze a few years ago, and how Kabar's knives gave me a smile at a local Herb Philipsons sporting good store I was visiting. I saw the green handled Kabar Zombie Killing knives in their display case, and the fella's there explained the whole thing to me. It sure gave me a chuckle. The guys working there, (them seeing me come into their store regularly), agreed to allow me a photo op, (with one in each hand). This must have been around 2011 or 2012, not sure exactly, but sometime during the early days of the whole Zombie Apocalypse merchandise craze.

s6oxgy.jpg

The only Zombie related item I wound up buying during that period, and in that store, was a box of Hornady 9mm Zombie ammo, (which I still have put away somewhere). Anyhow, my Zomstro is now going to be displayed somewhere in my home, as I do with most of my collection, and will represent that harmless fading fad. Just like Hornady's very real and quality Zombie ammo, the Kabar Zombie knives were/are also very real and quality made. It was all in fun to add that Zombie touch thing to their line, and although I really did not partake in the heyday of that craze, (except for that one box of Zombie killing ammo), I did find it all very amusing. Great marketing idea by Kabar and companies like Hornady to ride the Zombie craze wave for a while. But, just like all fads, they fade away, and Kabar has obviously moved on to other things, (as it should be). Getting a deal now on the Kabar Zomstro was a no brainer. While the whole Zombie thing was obviously a fun marketing gimmick, (and there was nothing wrong with them doing that at all), the Zomstro knife was/is obviously a quality made product. To add icing to the cake, the Zomstro is very unique, something a collector of do-dads, (like myself), can appreciate :)
On a related note... I thought the guys at the store had told me that those Kabar Zombie knives were made somewhere in Asia (Taiwan?)... So were some made overseas, or were they always Olean NY made?

Last edited:
I too ordered a Zomstro to add to my collection, it arriving today. As a collectible, I will leave everything original, but will place the black handle scales onto it. The green would simply clash with my interior decor, so they will get tucked away with the other accessories and box it all came in :)
I remember the peak of the Zombie merchandise craze a few years ago, and how Kabar's knives gave me a smile at a local Herb Philipsons sporting good store I was visiting. I saw the green handled Kabar Zombie Killing knives in their display case, and the fella's there explained the whole thing to me. It sure gave me me a chuckle. The guys working there, (them seeing me come into their store regularly), agreed to allow me a photo op, (with one in each hand). This must have been around 2011 or 2012, not sure exactly, but sometime during the early days of the whole Zombie Apocalypse merchandise craze.

s6oxgy.jpg

The only Zombie related item I wound up buying during that period, and in that store, was a box of Hornady 9mm Zombie ammo, (which I still have put away somewhere). Anyhow, my Zomstro is now going to be displayed somewhere in my home, as I do with most of my collection, and will represent that harmless fading fad. Just like Hornady's very real and quality Zombie ammo, the Kabar Zombie knives were/are also very real and quality made. It was all in fun to add that Zombie touch thing to their line, and although I really did not partake in the heyday of that craze, (except for that one box of Zombie killing ammo), I did find it all very amusing. Great marketing idea by Kabar and companies like Hornady to ride the Zombie craze wave for a while. But, just like all fads, they fade away, and Kabar has obviously moved on to other things, (as it should be). Getting a deal now on the Kabar Zomstro was a no brainer. While the whole Zombie thing was obviously a fun marketing gimmick, (and there was nothing wrong with them doing that at all), the Zomstro knife was/is obviously a quality made product. To add icing to the cake, the Zomstro is very unique, something a collector of do-dads, (like myself), can appreciate :)
On a related note... I thought the guys at the store had told me that those Kabar Zombie knives were made somewhere in Asia (Taiwan?)... So were some made overseas, or were they always Olean NY made?
I think the Zomstros were all made in USA some of the others were made in Taiwan .

Could someone that owns one of these Zomstro knives please tell me what size allen wrench/bit to use for the removal/installation of the grip scales... Thanks in advance! :)

Well, I had to go out and buy a set of metric allen wrenches, since none of my inch standard wrenches fit the handle scale screws. Btw, the size is 3mm :)
I most definitely like the look of my Zomstro more now, neon green is just not my thing. That said, the neon green scales were a more precise fit to the tang, they being even with the metal all the way around. The black scales are a tad bit smaller all the way around, so a little metal lip all the way around is what I get with them. Still, I prefer the black color enough to choose them over the better fitting green ones :)

2ymhraq.jpg

Last edited:
Rounding the edges sure made this blade quite comfortable to choke up on if needed for finer work . Before and after. Etched then stripped then rounded :D
View attachment 862310 View attachment 862311

I noticed that in photos put up by the OP showing the finish on his knife prior to stripping it off, that his Zomstro had the laser engraving done prior to the black factory finish being applied (the black finsh going over the engraving as well as the rest of the blade). Mine, (and others shown in this thread), show the Zomstro with the laser engraving obviously done after the black finish was applied. Both ways look good, and the black finish protects the engraving from rust. But, the unprotected engraving lets the engraving pop out more in appearance. Just an observation :)

I noticed that in photos put up by the OP showing the finish on his knife prior to stripping it off, that his Zomstro had the laser engraving done prior to the black factory finish being applied (the black finsh going over the engraving as well as the rest of the blade). Mine, (and others shown in this thread), show the Zomstro with the laser engraving obviously done after the black finish was applied. Both ways look good, and the black finish protects the engraving from rust. But, the unprotected engraving lets the engraving pop out more in appearance. Just an observation :)
I deepen the etch soon after a little use . It was white when new :)

Well, I had to go out and buy a set of metric allen wrenches, since none of my inch standard wrenches fit the handle scale screws. Btw, the size is 3mm :)
I most definitely like the look of my Zomstro more now, neon green is just not my thing. That said, the neon green scales were a more precise fit to the tang, they being even with the metal all the way around. The black scales are a tad bit smaller all the way around, so a little metal lip all the way around is what I get with them. Still, I prefer the black color enough to choose them over the better fitting green ones :)

2ymhraq.jpg
Congrats on your Zomstro :thumbsup:

Thanks, buddy! :)
I'm just into collecting and decorating with such do-dads. These are some of my most recent acquisitions that will eventually find their way into my eclectic decor. For now they simply reside on my kitchen counter. As you can see, the black scales brings my Zomstro into a blend with the others awaiting their posh fate :)
Top to botom:
Kabar Zomstro
Kabar Fighter
Ontario SP36 Sniper Spax w/digging spade
Ontario SP43 Rifleman

And on the right side:
Kabar USMC fighting/utility knife commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Union Razor/Kabar company.

14wc5mq.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, buddy! :)
I'm just into collecting and decorating with such do-dads. These are some of my most recent acquisitions that will eventually find their way into my eclectic decor. For now they simply reside on my kitchen counter. As you can see, the black scales brings my Zomstro into a blend with the others awaiting their posh fate :)
Top to botom:
Kabar Zomstro
Kabar Fighter
Ontario SP36 Sniper Spax w/digging spade
Ontario SP43 Rifleman

And on the right side:
Kabar USMC fighting/utility knife commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Union Razor/Kabar company.

14wc5mq.jpg
Very Nice collection! :thumbsup:

Back