Thin blade stock production knives?

After using an Opinel for a while I'm looking for a one handed opening, locking production folder that can come close to the slicing ability. I'm seeking recommendations.

I'd love to get such thin blade stock but since that's no going to happen I'll settle for something thin behind the edge.

I've tried a lot of popular folders and so far the stock Kershaw Skyline and Ritter Griptilian fit my needs best. All my Spyderco Super Blue Sprints were thinner behind the edge than their production counterparts as well but I don't want one of those as a user.

Any suggestions? I'd like something under $100. Please don't suggest the Spyderco Chaparral as I've tried it :).

Thanks in advance.

Boker Exskelibur is an awesome slicer - thin blade stock, and tall hollow grind. probably have to go used for less than $100, but new they're not too much over.

Cold Steel American Lawman or Recon 1. Both sport thin high grinds that make them excellent slicers. As for price, maybe a tad above your $100. Check out the CS Steven Austen line, too.

Spyderco endura 4 zdp-189 is amazing and has very thin blade stock and is full flat ground and zdp-189 is an awesome edge holding steel.

Thanks, guys. I've handled a ton of Spydercos but not the others mentioned. I'll research a little.

In the end, I think I'll have to get comfy with the Opinel. I can open it one hand pretty easily but doing so would probably cause an accident eventually.

I wish Spyderco or Benchmade would make a fun alternative with 1.5 mm stock but I believe I read Sal Glesser (or a forumite) say it wasn't feasible. I don't understand why Opinel and Victorinox can do it if that's the case. I never should have sold my thinned out Stretch....damn

Have you looked at the Victorinox Sentinel Clip? Could work and well within your budget.

Benchmade Mini Reflex 2. OK it's more than $100 but it's a surprisingly good slicer.

Victorinox Alpineer Grip. One blade, key ring, and corkscrew.

Zieg

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I've handled a ton of Spydercos but not the others mentioned. I'll research a little.

In the end, I think I'll have to get comfy with the Opinel. I can open it one hand pretty easily but doing so would probably cause an accident eventually.

I wish Spyderco or Benchmade would make a fun alternative with 1.5 mm stock but I believe I read Sal Glesser (or a forumite) say it wasn't feasible. I don't understand why Opinel and Victorinox can do it if that's the case. I never should have sold my thinned out Stretch....damn
Probably the downward pressure exerted on the blade when using a stud or hole.

The Al Mar Hawk Ultralight retails for right around $100 If you can find one and has .08" blade stock. That's probably about as close as you're going to get. I can say from experience that it will slice very, very well.

I had the same problem of tricky one-hand opening with an Extrema Ratio Resolza--which is an awesome but pricey slicer BTW, if you want to move away from the Opinel. The solution I found was to get a Kwik Thumb Stud from BladeHQ for $5. The knife doesn't look as pretty with it on, but I don't get the same "stutter" with my thumb that I would occasionally get without it. It would probably work the same on your Opinel, allowing for a safe enough opening that you might not need to switch out.

After using an Opinel for a while I'm looking for a one handed opening, locking production folder that can come close to the slicing ability. I'm seeking recommendations.

I'd love to get such thin blade stock but since that's no going to happen I'll settle for something thin behind the edge.

I've tried a lot of popular folders and so far the stock Kershaw Skyline and Ritter Griptilian fit my needs best. All my Spyderco Super Blue Sprints were thinner behind the edge than their production counterparts as well but I don't want one of those as a user.

Any suggestions? I'd like something under $100. Please don't suggest the Spyderco Chaparral as I've tried it :).

Thanks in advance.
I have been really impressed with the Spyderco centofante 3, thin stock, and very thin behind the edge with the hollow grind. It's classy, light, and runs about the same as the delica.

All good suggestions but if you liked the Opinel then you will love the Mercator K55. It is the perfect knife for you. Thin blade stock and with a modern lockback design compared to the Opinel's collar lock.

They are very affordable excellent knives.

Thanks in advance.
Spyderco Delica or, depending on how much blade you need, the Spyderco Dragonfly.
If you want something classy, but not necessarily hard use, I really like my Boker Urban Trapper.

The Spyderco Centofante 3 has a bladestock of only 2mm! You could also check out the Chaperrell as well

Little over budget, but I'll second the recommendation for the Benchmade Mini Reflex. Awesome EDC size and damn, it is one hell of a slicer!!
Lotta fun too!!
Joe

Try looking at some of the AG Russell offerings, not sure if too thin, but there is a good amount of them that I bet you could find one that you like. Just my two cents.

Back