Thinking about an UNK...

I've been wanting a smaller knife for food prep and general light work around camp. I love the blade shape of the UNK and was wondering if it could be done in say 1/16" stock (steel of your choice). Couple that with a slightly thinner handle and a leather tip down leather neck sheath and I might have found the knife I've been looking for.

Let me know what you think...

Thanks, Ski

Sorry ski, I missed your post. I've done blades in 1/16" thickness in the past and don't see why it wouldn't work for the UNK. I can do it in A2 steel. That thickness is tough to find in other steels. What thickness for the scales?
Scott

Hmm... Scales... thinner than what I've seen in the pics. Does 1/2" sound too thin? Canvas micarta for sure, maybe something in a dark red or brown.

Ski

Good choice I reckon! I ordered one with Orange G10, I think it would make an excellent general purpose knife for camp.

Hey Scott,
FYI you made mine a shade over 1/2 in. wide on the handle. Works fine and I have large hands.
IMG_2855.jpg

I just saw your other post and I see the combo I want... the leather neck sheath is perfect as is the brown micarta with hollow pins. It sounds like something just shy of 1/2" thick on the handle would work out great. I guess I need to drop you an email so we can get things started.

Ski

Ski, with a 1/16" thick tang and 1/4" each micarta, after I grind/shape the handle, you will end up with just about a 1/2" thick handle. Shoot me an email and I will put you on the list. My wait time is about 8 weeks.
Scott

I know the steel was ordered so I figured I would give this a little bump by asking how it's coming along... I know I'm super excited about this knife.

Hopefully the weather will be nice when I get it so I can head out and play :D

Ski

Wooooo Hoooooo.... very cool...! Man I'm excited... even more so than normal. I guess because I've been wanting a nice thin (quality) knife for a long time.

Thanks, Ski

I think you and I have very similar tastes in knives... We will have to exchange notes in May at the Hardwoodsmen meet.

Ski

Yeah I really wanna check out that 1/16 one.......:thumbup:

Iz, I bet there will be a ton of steel to oogle at the meet. Thats how we roll......:cool:

Dang snow is too deep for me to get anywhere near the woods in the bushcraft Volkswagen.....:grumpy: Thought about doing a winter snowshoe on the Katy trail and camping along the way. Ive done it on a mtn bike, so I know some sweet spots.....Winter is great for the woods, but it can be a drag too.....:rolleyes:

Iz Im planning a 2 day at Bell Mountain for around June. We need to get you and the Slicer on board. :thumbup::thumbup:

ski and Iz, you need to hook up with J. come out to my event this Oct. Columbus Day weekend, I believe Oct. 7, 8 and 9.
Scott

Back