This is a great forum

I believe this forum is one of the nicest places to hang out on the internet. As a general rule, the people, here, are above average and very courteous.

There are, from time to time, cyber bullies who hide behind their anonymity, and trolls, that come on here trying to disturb everyone. One current person has managed to offend pretty much everyone here. I would like to suggest, in the spirit of this place, that we simply do not respond to such people. Ignore them and leave them no where to go with their bullying. On one forum, one of these people started a ruckus and everyone started posting pictures of puppies, completely off topic! HaHa!

I, for one, will no longer take the bait. I will no longer help these (this) people ruin what is a nice community that is welcoming and informative.

Just don't go over to the "General" forum :eek:. I am a registered member to over 20 different forums ranging in topics from OPE, Home Theater, Linux, Computing, Wood cutting, et al, to knives (my new interest) and Blade forums is the only one I have put people on the "ignore" list. I have quite a few ignored as I can't be bothered with opinionated blowhard bullies that wouldn't have the bollocks to talk to someone like that in person and anonymity will do that. I realize that people have different opinions and that is the point of a forum, but there is a proper civilized way to put your point across without belittling others.

I like the Buck forum as most people are rather civil here, but there are of course some who are a little too blunt (pun) but that's the nature of the beast. There are other knife related forums that aren't so rough around the edges and seem to tolerate differences of opinion and don't try to bully by forcing theirs.

I registered here to view the pictures but really, I couldn't care less if I was banned because of this post. It's not a big deal at all.

I've seen guys come and go on here. Some are mannerly and just talk knives and their usage. Others have psychological issues or drink and
it will show in their posts. Still, to be active in a computer discussion forum one needs to be thick skinned. With a good measure of tolerance
with people. Some I would enjoy being friends with. Others I wouldn't get near in a room full of people. But were all just people with different
life experiences. I've noticed Moderators here have lightened up on banning people and issuing demerits from some years back. DM

This is definitely my favorite place to be on the forum. Not just because Buck is my favorite manufacturer, but I really think there are nice, decent people here. Not saying there aren't good people in other areas, but it has a different feel. I can ask a question or chime in on a subject and no one will imply that I have no idea what I'm talking about or spout sarcasm. Even though we are strangers to each other for the most part, I've never gotten that feeling in this forum. I think we all share a sense of pride in making that happen. Being kind is a choice we all make in our lives and I think it's great that we can extend that to each other and talk about Buck knives at the same time...

I must agree. We all agree. Why talk about knives when we could be wearing our typing fingers out telling each other how wonderful we are--which, of course, we obviously are--how could anyone fail to see it?
No forum better.......none with members more civil, cultured, intelligent, genteel and well-informed about our chosen area of interest.
It's hard to be humble when we're so clearly so darn incredibly clever and superior.
Congratulations to us.
:D :D :D

It seems to run in cycles. All is good for a time then someone pops in from out of the blue or from another section of the forum and they immediate start rubbing folks the wrong way. As DM stated. Some of it is liquid courage or mental though I think a lot of it has to do with a lack of social interaction. The folks who would get a smack down in person curb their comments and learn or perhaps pretend to toe the line.

The anonymity of the Internet allows inappropriate behavior to come to the forefront in those individuals who would otherwise be kept in check and or isolate themselves and their behavior. A small part can be attributed to misunderstanding of the written word as I can tend to poorly convey intent, inflection, etc.

The current cycle will also pass, one way or the other.

By the way, DeSoto.......didn't Bertrand Russell steal that line from Yeats?

(The Second Coming.)

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

It must be a slow knife season, with all the hopeful community talk going on. I won't say who said it but they suggested I pull out my moderator superpowers and slap some commenters around. I replied which 'ones' do I start with.

As stated the Buck forum is pretty gentle compared to other forums and I would like all readers to help in keeping it that way.
The owner of Blade Forum believes that pro and con discussion is a part of a forum but would like it to be decent and civil.

Anyone else want to comment on these lines, this is the spot/thread to do it. If not lets get back to photos and talk on Buck knives and their characteristics ( see I left it open for good or bad ).
Own only photo, long ago sold away. Wore it kayaking one time.

I find all forums here to be pretty calm. Occasionally someone manages to raise the ire of a couple internet warriors and then it is on. Buck forum is good because most don't come here to complain about customer service or ask if they bought a fake.

Back