This is why I appreciate the Quality of S!K

With all the demand, I really want to thank Guy for his sharpening skills and not putting out an edge quality like this.

I don't know if it's just me but I hate it when I see knives with sharpening choils and the edge of the base curves down like this.

I posted something like this on the maintenance section and Guy is one of the few knife makers that gets it right.

Last edited:
I hate how some knife edges will start from one side and transfer to the other. I'm looking at you Daniel Winker Knives. Good to know Guy grinds well... I'll have to check out his stuff....

I have several knives that look like that. I've been made to feel that it is not worth mentioning in other forums for various reasons. Guy definitely gets it right!!!

Good to know Guy grinds well... I'll have to check out his stuff....
Yes, please do :)

Chop,

I was very close to ordering one of that very knife you hold. The flaw in the edge you point out is exactly why I haven't. I do have one of his neckers and it is perfect. Your pic just highlights the excellenct QC Guy holds his products to. I know that knife in the pic costs as much or more than an S!K

I hate how some knife edges will start from one side and transfer to the other. I'm looking at you Daniel Winker Knives. Good to know Guy grinds well... I'll have to check out his stuff....

I've had the same experience with a Winkler II belt knife. My Survive 5 has perfect grinds and edge for a lot less money. I can't wait for my lighter 4.5.

Looking at that edge, I can't help feeling that the sharpening process has taken off more steel than what was originally available.

Hey, I'm curious (genuinely) why this matters. Is it just aesthetics or is there a functional/practical reason?

To me the aesthetics bother me a little, but more so the principal that a curve where it should be straight is seen as acceptable. Functionally, there may be a small spot that won't reach the flat surface of a sharpening stone.

To me the aesthetics bother me a little, but more so the principal that a curve where it should be straight is seen as acceptable. Functionally, there may be a small spot that won't reach the flat surface of a sharpening stone.

I agree. Ultimately it wont effect the performance of the knife, but it is very irritating when sharpening. You have to grind away that little tooth first. Depending on how big the tooth is, there can be a dull spot in front of it until the tooth is sharpened away.

In my mind, it is just an attention to detail type of thing.

Wouldn't the angle of the edge in the OP pic minimise the chance of a finger getting cut while in the choil? If I had to choose between difficulty while sharpening and bleeding whilst in use, it's not much of a contest.

Wouldn't the angle of the edge in the OP pic minimise the chance of a finger getting cut while in the choil? If I had to choose between difficulty while sharpening and bleeding whilst in use, it's not much of a contest.

I never thought of that! I didn't think it was an intent in design, but I've been wrong before.

Not sure the subject knife is a finger choil. It may be a sharpening choil. I am not familiar with the knife, so it is hard to tell by the picture. I have a lot of use with my GSO 5.1, and I never felt that I was even close to getting cut with the cutting grind going up to the choil.

Yes i am that good that I can tell you what model a knife is with just a small picture of part of it... Its a god given skill

Knife Chop, send the knife back and we'll make it straight if that is what you prefer.
I think that was from the very first batch. The bevel grind did not go back as far as it should have then it got thick at that choil spot. I didn't see an issue in testing but then again if you don't like it, send it back and I will regrind straight or replace.

Knife Chop, send the knife back and we'll make it straight if that is what you prefer.
I think that was from the very first batch. The bevel grind did not go back as far as it should have then it got thick at that choil spot. I didn't see an issue in testing but then again if you don't like it, send it back and I will regrind straight or replace.

Thats how you handle business right there! Good to see you here.

By the way, your neck knife is sweet. I bought one from you a few weeks ago and love it.

Back