This one started with Scott's Kephart blank -

Scott asked for photo's of the completed handle when he shipped me the blank.

The project got this far before I headed off to an awful deer season in Wisconsin. Today I realized waiting to post until a sheath is built might be a while so here are some "almost complete" shots.

The blank looked so good I couldn't resist giving it a shine...don't panic Scott the heat treat is fine...I used elbow grease!

Attachments

• S. Gossmann Blade 1.jpg
    S. Gossmann Blade 1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 75
  • S. Gossmann Blade 2.jpg
    S. Gossmann Blade 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 59
  • S. Gossman Blade 3.jpg
    S. Gossman Blade 3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 125
  • S. Gossman Blade 4.jpg
    S. Gossman Blade 4.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 43
DAMN!! That looks awesome! Great job. :thumbup: Cherrywood?
Scott

Oh man, I feel like I stumped the band.

No, not cherrywood, they are Padauk and were a pleasure to work! I fitted, sanded, and then polished with carnauba wax. My attempt at photo's show them a little darker than they actually are. Now we'll see how they hold up. I've got a pretty good feeling about them.

The scales still need a little polish and the spines need some 800 or 1000 grit on up. I took the steel up to 2000 (opposite directions to 1000) and I've got a mirror finish but also that kind of streaked haze going so I may have to do some more sanding on the blade.

If you know what I mean about the hazy streaks and have any suggestions let me know. The spritz/jewelers rouge hasn't helped so I may have over polished if that's possible.

Thanks for the compliment Scott and you too Rockywolf! I appreciate the feedback.

Simply stunning work.... beautiful! Almost too pretty to take into the woods... almost :)

I've never done a mirror finish so I can't really advise. I know makers that mirror finish use micron belts.
Scott

Simply stunning work.... beautiful! Almost too pretty to take into the woods... almost :)

Agreed! It's like restoring a 40's Willy's to perfection and then four wheeling it through bushes, trees, rocks and water. No safe queens at this location.

I've never done a mirror finish so I can't really advise. I know makers that mirror finish use micron belts.
Scott

I'm going to search "shop talk" again and see if I can find some of the old posts about it or post a thread myself.

There is a bit of wood remaining and I'm thinking of making a matching set using the PSK ye sent me a while back. Next up? We may have to talk Nessmuk.

Finally got around to finishing up a sheath for Scott's blade...

Attachments

• gossman kephart and sheath.jpg
    gossman kephart and sheath.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Gossman Kepart and Sheath 2.jpg
    Gossman Kepart and Sheath 2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Gossman Kepart and Sheath 3.jpg
    Gossman Kepart and Sheath 3.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 6
Back