Thoughts on the IBEW

P2P

Gold Member
If this is the wrong area for this question, please move accordingly. Started my first day with the international brothers of electricians workers today. They had work for me before I could even do my interview which is in September. I figured I’d reach out to you guys, I’ve been a part of this forum for a very long time. I’m sure there’s some electricians out there with some knowledge that could be beneficial.

Basically, I’m about to commit to a five year program before I can “journey out.” I’ve already looked at Reddit and I wanted to see what anybody on here may have to say about the pros and cons of going private versus union when it comes to building a career through being an electrician.

Ultimately in about seven years, I’d like to be certified as a contractor and build my own business commercial or residential. At that point it seems like there’s a lot of benefits with the IBEW, however, I’m not trying to burn any bridges in the future. I’d like to do work outside of the union in the future which appears to be an option.

And for what it’s worth, I’m bringing a spyderco, military and CTS 204P to handle the heavy work.

Cheers everyone!

All I can say is that when I was a lowly college student needing to make money during the summer, IBEW Local 3 in NYC took care of me and found me employment as a machinist apprentice at a factory in Brooklyn for which I was very grateful. They didn't have to help but they did.

Always have had a fond spot for the IBEW since then.

My Father-in-Law was a union electrician. Good work and a nice pension. Take advantage of the training classes they offer.

I was a non-union electrician some decades ago. Get yourself a set of Kline tools. For electricians, good tools give status. I'd leave the nice knives at home at least for a spell.

I came out of the Navy and went to work for NASSCO a shipyard in National City/San Diego, California as a Marine Electrician. I had to join the union - IBEW Local 569. I quit NASSCO and went to work for San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E) as a mechanic in their heavy duty diesel garage located at Station A which is what PETCO Park is now built on. Although I wasn't working as an electrician, I had to join the union - IBEW Local 465 as all trades at SDG&E at that time were under the umbrella of the IBEW. When I retired, I was issued a Travelers Card and could have and still could present it to the Union Hall and go to work again as an electrician.

As to whether you can work in and out of the union, I'd say get a foothold in the union if the chance comes up. That way you can work for a union shop or a non-union shop as opportunities come along. Unions don't like their members working in non-union shops, but you can bow out of your local and ask your Local President or Secretary for a Travelers Card. That way if a job comes up that you want that's a union job, you can present your Travelers Card to the union and go to work on that job but if you never got a foothold in the union, you wouldn't be able to go to that job.

Hope this made some sense. As Elliott Blues Blues suggested, unions come in pretty darn handy at times.

This is my Travelers Card.

1693701673101.png

Edited to say - Frank knarfeng knarfeng has it right. Your tools and the way you maintain them say a lot about you when you enter a new shop or job site.

Last edited:
I Apprenticed and Journeyed in the IBEW. Always did right by me. I left for non-union shop after 6 years and life never took me back.
You will get good education there and be treated with respect. As has been said Klein tools in your pouches and American made boots tell a lot about a tradesmen, at least they did in my day.

Godspeed on your Journey.

Back